What's new

Kitty litter crystals

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Yeah. They are hard to light. Don't smoke well either. ;)

Try a search, pretty sure there is info on this already.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
"CWS, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation. "

I been banned.

I was kinda thinking the same thing...you know kitty litter, cigars the connection?

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
:dunno: linky no worky me either. YO JASON, what's going with that bad link man? :headroll:

I have 1 lb of kitty litter in the cooler and they work just fine. It has to be ExquisiCat Pearl Fresh. I paid something like $14.00 for 7.2 lbs of this stuff. It does similar work as beads for sure. Holds closer to 67-68% Rh steady for almost 2 months now. Only real hang up I have is when I spritz them with water, they tend to crack and break apart, making lots of white sand which thay are made from. IMO, I doubt they will last as long as Heartfelt beads in the long run.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Sorry 'bout that. Bad link I guess.

What you are talking about is the kitty litter made of silica crystals. Exquisicat Pearl Kitty Litter. You want the one WITHOUT the colored crystals. Those are scented and you'd end up with some nasty tasting cigars.

There's plenty of discussion regarding it on other cigar sites out there. It's kind of a touchy subject though. The stuff works, and it's cheap. But it's not as simple as Heartfelt Beads for instance.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
:dunno: linky no worky me either. YO JASON, what's going with that bad link man? :headroll:

I have 1 lb of kitty litter in the cooler and they work just fine. It has to be ExquisiCat Pearl Fresh. I paid something like $14.00 for 7.2 lbs of this stuff. It does similar work as beads for sure. Holds closer to 67-68% Rh steady for almost 2 months now. Only real hang up I have is when I spritz them with water, they tend to crack and break apart, making lots of white sand which thay are made from. IMO, I doubt they will last as long as Heartfelt beads in the long run.
Shaddup you. So my internet skills aren't all that honed. :argue:

At any rate, you don't want to spritz them. Put a shot glass of water in with the beads and let them soak it up.

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
I've heard the new crystals work. I would just rather use the beads. Also, the new kitty litter is different from the old clay style kitty litter

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I looked this up on another board and it seems that the Heartfelt beads are a better way to go. I am pretty sure that the Kitty Liter crystals just absorb moisture and do not release it to regulate RH like the Heartfelt beads do. I can post that link here that has more info on this, but I am not sure what the policy is here about linking to other forums of the same purpose.

Matthew

Tobacco Beetle
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Some people say kitty litter works just as well...
Some people say NCs are as good as CCs...
Some people think Bud Lite is as good as any imported brew...
Some people say masterbating is as good as the real thing...

I don't listen to these people.

Rating - 100%
33   0   0
Kitty litter is good stuff for cats not cigars. First off maybe it's just me but yes I can soak up moisture but how does it give off moisture? I don't see it working when the humidity is low and producing moistire/humidity for the gars. I wouldn't use it no matter what folks say. Beads ora humida pak is the way to go for a cooler.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0

:rofl: :headroll: :hysterica

sometimes i try to throw things at those people :robinhood
but they never understand. i think the bud light(er fluid) has gone to where their head should be

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0

:rofl:

Great post

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Kitty litter will work as good as beads at maintaining humidity and 10 times better at reducing it. It requires a little work to "season" but for the $$ ($5 for 4lbs vs. $30+ for 1lb) you can't beat it. Just be sure to get 100% silica.

I've used it for both but know only for reducing humidity during our humid summer months. I now use super absorbant polymers in my Set n Forget and Cigar Oasis (no water to slosh around and spill) and they too are inexpensive about $12 for 2lbs which is a lifetime supply.

Some people say kitty litter works just as well... it does
Some people say NCs are as good as CCs... they're not
Some people think Bud Lite is as good as any imported brew... all lite beer sucks and most imports
Some people say masterbating is as good as the real thing... not near as good as the real thing but can satisfy until you can get the real thing:grinFU: