What's new

Kitty litter crystals

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm sorry, but I would rather spend the extra money on something that is a sure thing. I don't want to have to "season" it right. I'd rather just add the right amount of distilled water to the beads and forget about it knowing that beads were made specifically for what I am wanting to do. Just my 2 cents.

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
I'm with ya Brian

With the amount I spend on cigars, I do not need to be cheap with caring for them.

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
The seasoning of the kitty litter is simaliar to seasoning of beads just takes a little longer.

When I had 3 100qt coolers, 2 50qt coolers and a couple desktops it would have taken 6lbs of bead or about $200 instead I spent $10 at Petco (where the pets go) and bought another box of cigars.

Beads work as advertised but will eventually have to be replaced requiring another outlay of $$. If you're just doing a humidor or 1 cooler thats not bad but if you're doing multiple coolers/humidors it will add up.

I too was leary of using kitty litter, but it works and as I said above kitty litter is much better at reducing humidity than beads, which I need cause it's farking humid here.

There is a thread on another board where they were tested side by side with no difference noted. I'd link it but I don't know if that is kosher, since most of us visit other boards it shouldn't be too hard to find.

Use whatever you feel comfortable with, just never put used kitty litter near your stogies:stretchgr

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
Rob you are spot on there bud. This particular kitty work very well. If people knock them before trying them and not listening to what others say, never mind, they wont listen anyway...

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
Some people say kitty litter works just as well...
Some people say NCs are as good as CCs...
Some people think Bud Lite is as good as any imported brew...
Some people say masterbating is as good as the real thing...

I don't listen to these people.
Good advice Matthew :guitar:

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not knocking them. Just stating my personal preference. Use whatever works for you, I just don't think I could do it right. I need the simple stuff:laugh:

Rob you are spot on there bud. This particular kitty work very well. If people knock them before trying them and not listening to what others say, never mind, they wont listen anyway...

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
OK. You guys are apparently really serious. Kitty Litter? Don't they all have some kind of perfume? I try to be open minded. The cooledor sure as hell works!

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
Chuck, I am dead serious, rock solid results. I laughed too when I first hear of this. Were not talking the blue bead shit or stuff that smells like a mens urinal at the mall. There is nothing harmful in them. They are basically kitty litter beads that do the exact same thing as cigar beads.

Tell you guys what, I will offer up 1/2 pound of these and ask for $5.00 to cover my shipping cost which come with a DC # and some cost of the KL beads. First two requests get them as I want to keep what I have remaining.

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
So your taking some Chuck? Just do not leave open on the desktop or the cat may just do what a cat has gotta dodo. muhaaaaaa
Wouldn't that be a bitch

Come home, cooler is open and the cat is shitting on the beads/litter smoking a cigar

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
With our cats...I would leave nothing to chance. :eyequiver Yep. I try it.

avid toker

Regulator
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Isn't the kitty litter an absorbent/de-humidifier?
I can't see how the kitty litter would be an active agent similar to the beads that humidifies and de-humidifies.
I'm not knocking you guys that use it but if it works for you...

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
The wine cooler ha the Oasis at between 62-64RH where most boxes are kept. The Coleman cooler have not added water to the KL in a while and not checked in a week the RH. My thinking is office RH is higher right now than I like, so did not need more water in the KL. I would think these will drop RH soon, it is not like the KL is making its own cat piss here guys.

tubaman

3 Time BoM
Rating - 100%
173   0   0
OK, in all seriousness, if you guys want to use KL crystals, go for it. This has absolutely nothing to do with the name. It has everything to do with the fact that these crystals are designed for absorption, not 2 way humidity control. If you guys get these to work for you and you are satisfied who am I to tell you what to use. But we make a significant investment in these cigars, and I don't want to skimp when it comes to humification of them. If these beads are good enough to be used by museums to take care of their most prized possesions, it's good enough for me and my cigars. Don't get me wrong, I'm not looking to spend extra money just to say I did. But I also want to know that what I am getting is doing the job right.

JMHO for what it's worth.

avid toker

Regulator
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I remember when I was a kid, I sleep walked right over to my Dad's stereo equipment in the middle of the night, opened up the cabinet door and pissed right inside. If I ever do that to my cigars, maybe kitty litter would come in handy :devil: