Known Risks

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndrewDill

San Diegan
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Oh yeah!

The walk in humidors that they had in the street markets had a wonderful, rich, grassy aroma. You could even find the mystical vanilla Cohiba there too!

Cigar_Jack

BoM May 05
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
FYI from what I ready being careful now won't make much difference from what I've heard they are just now getting around to purchases made in 2005 and 06.

Texas Cop

Cavalry Scout
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
*shrugs* Not really familiar with the US Code, but most every crime has an SOL on it....Might be of help to some of the brothers that may be in trouble to look into that....Are these being tried as criminal offenses or civil? Sorry, these may have been covered before, but I didn't see them in the thread, and am not to knowledgable on the subject..

drew

Rating - 100%
76   0   0
what is the statute of limitations for the letter to come around? i.e. if someone were to have ordered a shipment oh, say 2-3 months ago...is there a shot they will receive a letter?

I only ask because something like this has potential to ruin my career!
The request for info letter should not be ignored. That will result in an immediate fine. You have three choices to respond. Plead guilty, deny it, or as I said ignore the letter.

In feb. '07 I got a letter asking for more info regarding buying cuban cigars in dec '04 and march '05. At that time they were also suggesting a $1000. fine for trading with the enemy. I responded that I had no such info, or records, of any such purchase, The feds response to that letter in June of '07 was to state exactly what was ordered on Dec 24 '04 and exactly what was ordered on mar 15 '05. They also told me who / where, as in which vendor, I bought them from. I sent my reply on July 17th of '07 and have not heard anything more from them. Long story short, I admitted to allowing my credit card to be used for such purchases.

No one is really sure how the feds got these records. The common belief is that worldpay, who processes credit cards and ******, turned over the records to the feds.

There is also a warning letter, which in my understanding can be ignored as just a warning not to do it again. Unfortunately I got the RFI letter and not the warning.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I read through the whole thread, but I may have missed something. Is it illegal for US citizens to purchase or own Cuban Cigars in any part of the world, even if we consume them abroad? Hypothetically, say I bought and smoked a couple CCs while in Europe, is that still punishable under US law?

Status
Not open for further replies.