What's new

Known Risks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rating - 100%
76   0   0
Well, I got my fine notice from OFAC. This is the first communication I had with them since mailing my response on July 17th, 2007. They reduced it from $1,000. to $650. I mailed it out today. Hopefully that will be the end of it.

tobby4

June '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
do not let this come off the wrong way but....

well knowing that it is an illegal act you are accepting any responsibility for any actions... I liken it to speeding on an interstate that you know cops are on but you do not know when are where they will be where exactly you are....

you may buy 100 times and be fine but the 101st might get you... or the 1st might get you...

Do you feel lucky???

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
The one shop in Grand Cayman I visited would take bands off for you. I didn't buy anything my whole cruise, now I wish I had at least picked up their custom rolled cigars with cuban tobacco.

I had a sore throat most of the trip so I just wasn't in the mood for cigars. Last night I felt OK so I just had to smoke one to say I did it. It wasn't even cuban either, an AF Short Story I bought from the Fuentes at the last Florida herf trip.

On a cruise its so easy to get stuff, they hardly ever check your bags. My Uncle picked up a few bottles of Havana Club 7. He said he doesn't even put anything on the claims form and he never gets checked. (Your experience may vary)

Daviso27

Never been BoM
Rating - 100%
107   0   0
do not let this come off the wrong way but....

well knowing that it is an illegal act you are accepting any responsibility for any actions... I liken it to speeding on an interstate that you know cops are on but you do not know when are where they will be where exactly you are....

you may buy 100 times and be fine but the 101st might get you... or the 1st might get you...

Do you feel lucky???
Now will the "Im sorry officer, I didnt know I couldnt do that.." excuse work?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me offer a totally legal alternative solution to the dilema of purchasing Cuban cigars in the USA. First, I will tell you I have dual citizenship as an American - married to a Brazilian - living in Brazil, where Cubanos are perfectly legal. I was initially enamored with the possibility of overtly buying any Cubano I wanted. However, I soon found them all to be terribly expensive. Seems the Communists in Cuba don't have much regard for the working proletariat in other countries. But I eventually found a handmade Brazilian brand that is grown from the same source seeds and under the same growing climate as those of Cuba - Alonso Menendez brand of premium cigars, regular and maduro. I do not work for this company nor have any affiliation with them beyond smoking their cigars nearly exclusively now. The name Alonso Menendez refers to the originator and co-developer (along with Ramon and Francisco Garcia) of the Monte Cisto line of cigars in the early half of the 1900's and later, co-owners of the Upmann Tobacco Company in Havana. When Castro came to power in Cuba, rather than nationalize his company, Alonso packed up his family, his proprietary cigar making technology, seeds and sailed off, eventually finding a replicated home climate in an area in the state of Bahia, in Brazil. His son Felix has carried on the Menendez family tradition of making the finest cigars possible from the original Monte Cristo lineage of seeds.

I know I sound like a salesman, but I have found simply from experimentation and trial and error that the Alonso Menendez maduro robusto is every bit as rich, full-bodied and Cubano-like flavored as the Partagas Series P #2, that used to be my "go to" cigar, but at one third the price. I smoke the AM regular double corona as a my day-to-day cigar and it is equivalent to a Monte in every comparison - flavor, aroma and fulfillment, but without the high cost factor. You may have to ask around some, but if you can get hold of one of these cigars, you will not have to consider taking a risk at trying to smoke an illegal Cubano - you will be doing basically the same thing - except doing so legally!

Halon

BoM August '07
Rating - 100%
74   0   0
I'll add on the the Alonso Menendez praise! BIG fan of Brazilian Puros. I met the guys who do it and asked them about the connection, and was surprised to find out they were his sons!

But yeah, if you're going to purchase, then be aware you can get in trouble. I'm not advocating purchasing CCs at all, just telling you to be ready for possible legal penalties.

TYLER

Curmudgeon76

Robusto
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

Wow, this has been quite an informative thread. What exactly are "hot vendors"? My guess would be these are vendors who are known to be tracked and/or supply transaction information to certain individuals who would have an interest in attaining them?

I had always heard a lot of vendors that do ship to the states often remove the bands from the cigars, as well as not shipping the original box, is that accurate?

Still, seems to me that if they want to find out what you bought, they still could. If they get a hold of the credit card transaction reports and see that you bought cigars from a site that only sells Cubans, well, wouldn't be too hard for them to figure it out, regardless of whether or not your new acquisitions have bands on them or not...

Curmudgeon76

Robusto
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a somewhat unrelated note...

Did anyone see the photo circulating on the net of Tom Delay that a clever Times photographer snapped?

They were citing his belief in a no tolerance policy in terms of Americans buying Cuban goods: he basically said that every time an American buys a Cuban cigar or other product, they are putting money directly into the hands of a tyrannical regime.

In the shot, a cigar is clearly visible in his mouth. I can't remember the specific brand. Thanks to the magic of high resolution, high megapixel digital imaging, the photographer was able to crop the photo and get a nice enlargement of the band itself. The word "Habana" is visible on the band. ;-)

When grilled about this cigar, his press people simply responded that his "Policy on Cuba hasn't changed". Unreal.

If I can find the link, I shall post.

bballbaby

Nov '08 BoM
Rating - 100%
183   0   0
I've decided i'm going to wait until i can actually afford to get caught before taking the risk.

I'd be in some serious deep shit if i had to fork over $650 to ghe govt for buying CCs. And to top it off, i'd have nothing to show for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.