What's new

Lancero February 2015

jonnylieberman

Ask Me About Outrage
Rating - 97.5%
53   1   0
Annoyingly long Lancero post. Feel free to skip. All my Feb Lances, collected in one annoying post. Pictures where necessary.

Decided to kick off LANCERO FEBRUARY with a Big Bang, my favorite cigar, a La Gloria Cubana Medale d'Or #1 from the year 2000. Probably the last one I'll ever smoke. Gone baby, gone. Delicous. Horseradish and Carrot. Earthy, woody, bye friend.

Next was Tatuaje Black

Then, from King Kill

From near Woking, England

In London I split a La Colmena Amado 36 with Cousin Ben. Along with a Tat J21. His first cigars. To call him hooked is an understatement. THe Warped started out better, but stayed pretty much the same. The J21 transitioned from pepper to Strawberry jam!

Then a La Riqueza

MAMA!

Then El Triunfador

Unbanded CroMag something or other. Major construction issues, which was too bad.

One of my very favorites. I like this one so much better than other Headleys

Then an OSOK Lance. Pretty much OK. Loved the mouth feel of the smoke. Thick and chewy. Flavor was just kinda whatever.

Then a Goldie Lance. Fabulous lancero. yum, yum, yum.

Then a Matilde Lance. Very disappointing. Not good.

I was (again) very disappointed in this stick. Were my expectations too high? You betcha. Bland for a Liga, and it didn't even billow smoke.

Tatuaje 10th Lance -- mega plugged. Delicious, but super annoying to get through.

Followed up the next night with

Plugged worse!!

Back on track with Don. Smoked for about two hours, and got more and more delicious as time went on.

That's it... for now!

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
La Flor Dominica
View attachment 59206
View attachment 59207
Old ass band = well aged beauty. Spice the entire length, but not a palate wrecking spice. Black pepper notes mostly but a nice veggie green pepper note popped in from time to time. Gradually ramped up on creaminess towards the end. I'm not a fan of 'fresh' LFD but I'd smoke these aged beauties 8 days a week!
Rated:91
One of my B&M's has a few of these left in a special humidor of older stuff. What is a fare price for them? They don't have the them price marked.

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
Day 1: Lost City
Day 2: Fausto
Day 3: La Riqueza
Day 4: Cabaiguan Guapos
Day 5: La Casita Criolla
Day 6: Tat Red
Day 7: Tat Brown, 7-20-4
Day 8: Opus X PL, La Palina Black PL
Day 9: Valeroso
Day 10: Viaje Exclusivo, Tat black PL
Day 11: Snare Drum
Day 12: Pepin Blue
Day 13: La Aurora 107
Day 14: MF #4, BOTL 2012
Day 15: Nat Sherman 1930 8x38 "super lancero"
Day 16: Fonseca Cubano Limitado
Day 17: Caldwell LLTK Jalapeño
Day 18: Edgar Hoill
Day 19: Illusione Holy Lance Candela
Day 20: Arturo Fuente Don Carlos Lancero
Day 21: No lancero!
Day 22: La Aurora 100 Años

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424671142.142081.jpg

My first 100 Años. A loose pack and easy draw. Cedar. Pepper. Nice and smooth, with a general burnt finish.

Dry. No sweetness to speak of in the first third-- this is no dessert cigar.

Pleasant volume of billowy smoke. Easy to retrohale. Deeper into the cigar, a long dried citrus peel finish in present. But the burnt (toast?) is ever present.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424671157.927273.jpg

The ash is black and gray and wiry, almost cubaneaque, and it's got an inch at a time to work with but no more.

I'm really surprised with the lack of complexity here. I want to enjoy this cigar more on this rainy, cool SoCal night-- especially after not reviewing anything yesterday (blame Jedi, Eric, Lieberman and the VCut mini herf! Great time!). But it's leaving me flat and I'm going to have to leave it in the middle of the pack if something amazing fails to materialize in the final third.

The regular La Aurora was markedly better.

Also the oscars were a real snooze. But glad Birdman won!

Ranked top to bottom thus far:

Lost City
Opus X PL
BOTL 2012
Don Carlos
Fonseca Cubano Limitado lancero.
La Riqueza
7-20-4
La Aurora 107
Tat brown
MF #4
La Palina Black PL
Viaje Exclusivo
Tat Black PL
La Aurora 100 Años
Pepin Blue
La Casita Criolla
Nat Sherman 1930 8x38 "super lancero"
Snare Drum
Valeroso
Cabaiguan Guapos
Tat red
Fausto
Illusione Holy Lance Candela
Edgar Hoill
Caldwell LLTK Jalapeño

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Had an OSOK yesterday. It was ok. Thought I got a hint of mocha in the beginning which kind of excited me, but it was just that 1 hint. Then it was mostly just tobacco nothing special kinda boring. I might try another one but wouldn't buy it

Rating - 100%
31   0   0
So sat down in the garden for what was likely to be my last effort for lancero February unless I finish work early one day this week *crosses fingers*. I had something special in mind and after Senor Perfecto's great review and all the good things Eddy has had to say I grabbed the Don Carlos lance from my cooler.

Yep, mould. Took it out of the cello and slipped off the cedar wrap and there it was, a furry white hell. So after a small weep, a quick sprint upstairs to check everything was okay (it was, phew!), I grabbed something else that I thought would wrap Lancero February up nicely for me, a Viaje Exclusvio lancero.

There was a small tear in the wrapper but otherwise construction looked good and and I love the pigtail cap.
My newb palette can't really distinguish the specific flavours but the cold draw has a nice fruity twang that shows through in the first third along with an abundance of pepper, especially on the retrohale.
Pepper calms down from the second third onwards and the smoke mellows out into a thoroughly enjoyable experience.
So given the rough start the Exclusivo certainly put a smile back on my face and I'm definitely looking forward to another.

Rating - 100%
59   0   0
Yep, mould. Took it out of the cello and slipped off the cedar wrap and there it was, a furry white hell.
Several weeks ago while doing some research on this site, I found a ton of posts on here of brothers who found white mold under the cedar sleeves. Especially on cigars by Fuente it seemed. In a fit of paranoia, I ran to remove them from all the cigars in my humi. Sorry it happened to you too.

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
So sat down in the garden for what was likely to be my last effort for lancero February unless I finish work early one day this week *crosses fingers*. I had something special in mind and after Senor Perfecto's great review and all the good things Eddy has had to say I grabbed the Don Carlos lance from my cooler.

Yep, mould. Took it out of the cello and slipped off the cedar wrap and there it was, a furry white hell. So after a small weep, a quick sprint upstairs to check everything was okay (it was, phew!), I grabbed something else that I thought would wrap Lancero February up nicely for me, a Viaje Exclusvio lancero.
Ugh. That is no fun. Such an exquisite cigar too.

I hope you didn't pitch it; unless the mold was also in the foot, you could wipe it, quarantine it, and smoke it just fine. You may want to check your humidity. Make sure you're in the low-mid 60s RH. Anyway, glad you had the Viaje to save the day!

Several weeks ago while doing some research on this site, I found a ton of posts on here of brothers who found white mold under the cedar sleeves. Especially on cigars by Fuente it seemed. In a fit of paranoia, I ran to remove them from all the cigars in my humi. Sorry it happened to you too.
Cedar sleeves are a PITA. I had no issue with my Don Carlos, but have with many others. I think removing them before storage is a good call. Put the cello back on though ;)

Rating - 100%
31   0   0
Ugh. That is no fun. Such an exquisite cigar too.

I hope you didn't pitch it; unless the mold was also in the foot, you could wipe it, quarantine it, and smoke it just fine. You may want to check your humidity. Make sure you're in the low-mid 60s RH. Anyway, glad you had the Viaje to save the day!

Cedar sleeves are a PITA. I had no issue with my Don Carlos, but have with many others. I think removing them before storage is a good call. Put the cello back on though ;)
None on the foot but a lot around the head/cap so I binned it I'm afraid. I've been running between 64-66% since I set my cooler up and I've never had any issues up to now. I went through everything else and no sign of any other mould. Could have been from when it was in my desktop early last year but who knows.
I'll definitely be taking the cedar off anything else I get in.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I did the same thing a while back. Luckily I didn't find any issues. I will always remove the cedar sleeve.