What's new

Leaf Reviews

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Is that the same as the LO Ec Seco Habano Shade? I found the Ec Seco Hab Shade to be only medium stretchy, burns well, plenty flavor but not my fave habano flave, ultra smooth, thin veined... and appeared to have been darkened. Is this not the same? Did not notice any "greenness".

LO Ec Hab Shade also came in ligero and viso versions. I thought the viso tasted more ashy while the ligero flavor was too intrusive for wrapper.

Problem is always the same: Soon as you describe one batch, the next batch differs.

nic

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Is that the same as the LO Ec Seco Habano Shade? I found the Ec Seco Hab Shade to be only medium stretchy, burns well, plenty flavor but not my fave habano flave, ultra smooth, thin veined... and appeared to have been darkened. Is this not the same? Did not notice any "greenness".
Yes, the seco shade wrapper. I edited my post to make that point more clear.

Problem is always the same: Soon as you describe one batch, the next batch differs.
Yeah, that's the problem.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
WLT "Corojo Seco"
http://www.wholeleaftobacco.com/Corojo-99-Seco-CRJSeco.htm

Half the pound was scraps, and I chucked those in the scraps bag. I then graded/sorted the remainder.

Most of these leaves have green splotches on them. The general color is blond and rosado.

For wrapper I chose three different colors, from light rosado to dark brown, on the right in the first picture. On the left is the leaf I chose for binder. I don’t show the filler, but in general it was not as “clean” as these binder and filler leaves.

I smoked these over a twenty-four hour period, starting a few hours after bunching and wrapping them, and kept tasting notes. I bunch and wrap dry, so these were ready to go after the cap glue set up.

My final conclusion is that the dark brown wrapper one was the only one with anything special to offer. I think its great flavor, a slightly more intense version of the LO Honduran Seco, came entirely from the dark wrapper leaf. It was completely different from the other two. If it was all like this, this would be gold. This was a much better "viso" leaf than the WLT "Corojo Viso." I will select out the remaining few of those brown leaves and use them as the “viso” component of further blends. The rest, I’ll just use as random filler now and then, or use as packing peanuts.

Purito #1:
Wrapper: light rosado
Pepper and wood, then
Mild, unsweet, burnt caramel, then
horse shit, then
straw, then
cigarette ashtray, then
nothing.
Pharma: strong “corojo glow” (a unique feeling I get in my chest when I smoke this particular leaf.)

Purito #2
Wrapper: dark and thick, like a heavy viso
Wood and sweet baking spice, front to back. Very nice. Like a slightly more intense version of the LO "Honduran seco."
Pharma: no corojo glow.

Purito #3
Color: Rosado, like darker version of a typical Cuban H.Upmann wrapper
Black pepper, then
Ammonia, then
Rubbing alcohol, then
nondescript mild peanut sauce
Pharma: mild short corojo glow, then light spacey nicotine feeling.

Last edited:

Dominican56

CRA #99997657
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
WLT "Corojo Seco"
http://www.wholeleaftobacco.com/Corojo-99-Seco-CRJSeco.htm

Half the pound was scraps, and I chucked those in the scraps bag. I then graded/sorted the remainder.

Most of these leaves have green splotches on them. The general color is blond and rosado.

For wrapper I chose three different colors, from light rosado to dark brown, on the right in the first picture. On the left is the leaf I chose for binder. I don’t show the filler, but in general it was not as “clean” as these binder and filler leaves.

I smoked these over a twenty-four hour period, starting a few hours after bunching and wrapping them, and kept tasting notes. I bunch and wrap dry, so these were ready to go after the cap glue set up.

My final conclusion is that the dark brown wrapper one was the only one with anything special to offer. I think its great flavor, a slightly more intense version of the LO Honduran Seco, came entirely from the dark wrapper leaf. It was completely different from the other two. If it was all like this, this would be gold. This was a much better "viso" leaf than the WLT "Corojo Viso." I will select out the remaining few of those brown leaves and use them as the “viso” component of further blends. The rest, I’ll just use as random filler now and then, or use as packing peanuts.
Nice evaluation. Thanks for taking the time to post this.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Ha. By coincidence I am smoking a test quickie right now made with this scrappy corojo seco. Didn't let the scrappiness affect my happiness. Just rolled with it.
1/2 corojo ligero
1 corojo seco
1 corojo viso
Dom binder
FX CT shade wrapper

Aromatic, dry, nicky spice, and a hoppy aftertaste. Pilsener sort of thing. Summrr gar. Dries your throat.

Sometimes takes me weeks to come up with a stashworthy blend. Dunno if this will make the cut. May need an olor binder instead of the Dom. But the stinkfinger is marvelous as is.

Here the wrapper contributes almost nothing. Just allows the corojo spice thru.

Dominican56

CRA #99997657
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Ha. By coincidence I am smoking a test quickie right now made with this scrappy corojo seco. Didn't let the scrappiness affect my happiness. Just rolled with it.
1/2 corojo ligero
1 corojo seco
1 corojo viso
Dom binder
FX CT shade wrapper

Aromatic, dry, nicky spice, and a hoppy aftertaste. Pilsener sort of thing. Summrr gar. Dries your throat.

Sometimes takes me weeks to come up with a stashworthy blend. Dunno if this will make the cut. May need an olor binder instead of the Dom. But the stinkfinger is marvelous as is.

Here the wrapper contributes almost nothing. Just allows the corojo spice thru.
I wish I had even half of your cigar know-how

That looks good

Dominican56

CRA #99997657
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Prepping dom binder I just got from WLT and it's shit! Much of it smells of ammonia and the leaves have holes in the prime leaf area. This stuff is crap. (pic of some of the better leaf)
I hope my LO Dom binder is better.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Prepping dom binder I just got from WLT and it's shit! Much of it smells of ammonia and the leaves have holes in the prime leaf area. This stuff is crap.
My lo Dom binder is pretty good. Although my lo Cameroon binder molded and I had to throw a whole pound out. In a 40% Rh room that shouldn't happen.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Prepping dom binder I just got from WLT and it's shit! Much of it smells of ammonia and the leaves have holes in the prime leaf area. This stuff is crap.

Easy does it. this is what you want. typical. keep the case up while aerating until it dissipates. then its ready to go in, not before. I'll do this to anything that needs it.

Dominican56

CRA #99997657
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'm getting about a 60% yield from this due to larger holes in the part of leaf I want to use. Not add the ammonia to that and I'm completely unhappy with this leaf. The ammonia is actually overpowering when the leaf is sniffed in the bag. A little smell I can deal with, overpowering smell, not so much.
The good thing, Don said send I can it back. WLT definitely has good customer service. I'm favorably impressed with their no questions return policy.

Dominican56

CRA #99997657
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I had the same problem with the dom binder I recently got from WLT. I sprayed down with my mojo and let it sit for 2 weeks and then dried it out. It smells and tastes good now.
What's your mojo? So far I'm using a water can for the flowers. If I can't get them to stop smelling like a diaper pail they will be compost in the garden.
I'm considering using ascorbic acid as a rinse.

OK, I'll admit, I'm not the most patient guy around. I'll give this leaf a chance.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
this thread may help http://www.botl.org/threads/mojo.86487/
My recipe is a large jar of chunk pineapple (and the juice), 1/4 cup lemon juice, 1.5 tablespoon vanilla extract, 3 cups of water, and handful of tobacco stems. Bring to a boil and let simmer 20 minutes. After it cools I put in 2 cups white rum and put all of it in a jug. Leave in the jug for at least a couple weeks to ferment. I strain off a cup at a time as needed.