Leaf Reviews

Dominican56

CRA #99997657
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

nic

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
I've used 2 different Pennsylvania wrappers; one from LO and one from Larry (family tobacco farm in Kentucky, bigbonnerb@yahoo.com). Both were remarkably similar. Gigantic leafs, equally gigantic veins, very easy to use. Flavor was sweet; chocolate, caramel. I don't use it often, as I prefer spicier cigars, but it's a great wrapper to have around. I think I prefer the wrapper from Larry, but either is a fine choice.

I bought a lb of the corojo oscuro from WLT during black friday sale. I've only rolled 10 or so cigars with it, but so far I really like it. Lots of spice. Easy to work with, good sized leafs, veins lay down easy. There's a lot of variance in color and leaf condition, but nothing I'm unhappy with. There had been some rumor of this leaf having burn problems, but thus far I have not experienced that. None of the cigars I've rolled with this wrapper have gotten any age, and the RH has been in the high 90s, so if it wasn't going to burn, I'd suspect it would happen now.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you tell me what you mean by "Lots of Spice?"
Do you mean spice-like flavors (cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice etc), or are you referring to hot-pepper spice (bite?) on the tongue?
I've used 2 different Pennsylvania wrappers; one from LO and one from Larry (family tobacco farm in Kentucky, bigbonnerb@yahoo.com). Both were remarkably similar. Gigantic leafs, equally gigantic veins, very easy to use. Flavor was sweet; chocolate, caramel. I don't use it often, as I prefer spicier cigars, but it's a great wrapper to have around. I think I prefer the wrapper from Larry, but either is a fine choice.

I bought a lb of the corojo oscuro from WLT during black friday sale. I've only rolled 10 or so cigars with it, but so far I really like it. Lots of spice. Easy to work with, good sized leafs, veins lay down easy. There's a lot of variance in color and leaf condition, but nothing I'm unhappy with. There had been some rumor of this leaf having burn problems, but thus far I have not experienced that. None of the cigars I've rolled with this wrapper have gotten any age, and the RH has been in the high 90s, so if it wasn't going to burn, I'd suspect it would happen now.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Thanks, y'all. I'm tellin ya, this shit really makes you appreciate breathable air. Literally can't breathe outside and your eyes burn like someone splashed acid in'em. I hope my leaf ain't getting smoke damaged.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
@nic was nice enough to send me a few WLT Corojo Oscuro wrapper leaves to try out. Got'em, bunched'em, wrapped'em yesterday, smoked one today. My interests were combustion, flavor, and strength. Now let me say that less than a day's rest is obviously not typical for a dark wrapper: I think 6 weeks minimum is what the pros shoot for, 6 months ideal. But since I get a good burn and good flavor right off the bat with my fave wrappers, that's what I look for. I roll with leaf that's dry to the touch.

This leaf is super easy to work with. The bigger leaves are a decent size and the stuff is super stretchy and sturdy. And people like to look at dark wrappers because they think they'll taste like chocolate cake.

Burn was dubious, if not as bad as it was a couple years ago. Took pretty frequent touch-ups to keep it going and even-edged.

Strength was basically overwhelming for me. I used a mild filler, but this was a nauseatingly strong headache-inducing smoke. I had to quit halfway through so I wouldn't actually vomit. This same filler is mild, light and creamy with CT Shade on it.

Flavor was what I'd call vegetal cocoa, or young green chocolate milk. Not really my cuppa.

I can think of at least three or four guys here who are digging on this wrapper and reporting no issues, so this is just my subjective experience with it. I'm gonna sock the other three away and try one at six weeks, then go from there. Thanks, Nic!

nic

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
This leaf is super easy to work with. The bigger leaves are a decent size and the stuff is super stretchy and sturdy. And people like to look at dark wrappers because they think they'll taste like chocolate cake.

Burn was dubious, if not as bad as it was a couple years ago. Took pretty frequent touch-ups to keep it going and even-edged.

Strength was basically overwhelming for me. I used a mild filler, but this was a nauseatingly strong headache-inducing smoke. I had to quit halfway through so I wouldn't actually vomit. This same filler is mild, light and creamy with CT Shade on it.

Flavor was what I'd call vegetal cocoa, or young green chocolate milk. Not really my cuppa.

I can think of at least three or four guys here who are digging on this wrapper and reporting no issues, so this is just my subjective experience with it. I'm gonna sock the other three away and try one at six weeks, then go from there. Thanks, Nic!
I've used probably half a pound at this point and I'd say that I've had far more good burning leaves then bad. There have been a few that needed help, but nothing I would call fireproof. The leaves I sent to Blake were cased ready for wrapping, fairly dry (and I hope they got there in decent condition). Even wrapping dry, as I (and I believe he) do, that wrapper really needs 2-3 days minimum to dry and tighten. I haven't allowed anything to live longer enough to get past a month or so, but at 4 weeks I haven't experienced any trouble.

The strength is no joke. My house blend is medium plus to full, and I find that this wrapper pairs very well. On fuller blends the wrapper tastes more like Mexican chocolate, without the sugar/sweetness. On more mild blends it really turns ugly - green coffee.

This is the easiest leaf I've worked with, like Blake said. Very noob friendly, but take into consideration both @blisscigarco and my comments.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Those have been available for 2 and a half hours. I finally just ordered the other Cibao yesterday. This always happens. Tomorrow, the Mata Fina gets restocked, I'd bet? It hurts!
I miss-spoke. Don sent me three little samples of Cibao: corojo viso, criollo ligero, corojo ligero. I've been struggling with thick yellow snot for two weeks now, so that I have not smoked a thing; much less these samples. About to take the plunge on vuelta seco, & wondered whether to throw some of those other Cibaos in with.

Dominican56

CRA #99997657
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Don send samples of the Cibao ligero. I ordered two pounds based on the sample.
If you like sweetness in the stick, I suggest you get some Brazilian viso from LO. It's 17 bucks a pound and I think it's the most predictable and consistent sweetness one can add to a cigar. It's flavorful and low cost. I like it better than flojo and better than BMF viso.
1LB - Brazilian Habano Viso $16.99 It's great stuff!!

Hope you feel better sooner than later, Web.

Dominican56

CRA #99997657
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Started Casing these Aged QB-52 Fronto Wrapper (dark) from LO
Veins seem quite big, we will see in a few days, smells goodView attachment 107121
I've got a sample of that from LO. It's not bad actually. I suspect it's got more nic than fermented leaf. I can't complain about the flavor.
It adds a smokey, nutty flavor. I've only used it on one stick, but this weekend I plan on using it on 5-6 more sticks. It's coming up to case as I type this.

I've decided to make a bunch of cigars this month and let them rest. I tossed out all of my previous home rolls for two reasons.
1) I don't know which ones I sprayed with glycerin water that had black mold in it.
2) most of the first rolls aren't very good.. way too mild.

So, I'm starting over.

Dominican56

CRA #99997657
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
@nic was nice enough to send me a few WLT Corojo Oscuro wrapper leaves to try out. Got'em, bunched'em, wrapped'em yesterday, smoked one today. My interests were combustion, flavor, and strength. Now let me say that less than a day's rest is obviously not typical for a dark wrapper: I think 6 weeks minimum is what the pros shoot for, 6 months ideal. But since I get a good burn and good flavor right off the bat with my fave wrappers, that's what I look for. I roll with leaf that's dry to the touch.

lovely sticks you have there!

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I miss-spoke. Don sent me three little samples of Cibao: corojo viso, criollo ligero, corojo ligero. I've been struggling with thick yellow snot for two weeks now, so that I have not smoked a thing; much less these samples. About to take the plunge on vuelta seco, & wondered whether to throw some of those other Cibaos in with.
Yuck.. just do it. You almost had me just doin it last night. I feel right now like I want to.. I have it bad.. one day at a time.
I may have missed something along the way...how do we order samples from Don/WLT?
You could find Don saying in a couple spots something like, . if anyone wants a sample, put it in the comment section when ordering. I think I don't do it myself every time is because I want all of it anyways.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Carl* and I cracked into a couple pounds of new-to-me vuelta abajo seco yesterday. Wonderful stuff. We simply put a Dom olor binder and criollo wrapper on it. That was good enough. He also made one with a FX CT shade wrap.

The only thing I would say is, the stuff came a bit too damp & flat for filler. That made for a tight draw.

* Dunno whether it's spelt with a K or with a C. Wife thinks I'm a barbarian, cause I never ask things like this... nor what his boys' names are, nor what his wife's name is, nor how long they've been married, nor what hand lotion she uses, nor any of the myriad other things I never think of for a moment but which she knows within, O, say one and a half nanoseconds after meeting anyone. She's like the gossip speedmaster. Me, I got no gossip.

Last edited: