What's new

Let the dry-aging begin!

Rating - 100%
79   0   0
Picked up some steaks for a NYE party the wife and I are going to on Friday and just set them up on an elevated rack to begin dry-aging!

I'll have a solid 3 days for this. Typically I go 5-6, but 3 will have to do. I will post pix throughout these next 3 days, to show how well this works :)

3 - 1lb USDA Choice Black Angus New York Strips
2 - 1lb USDA Choice Black Angus Ribeyes

Here's how it looks now:

Can't wait for these to drop some weight!!!

Jeffrey L.

jjon90

CRA Member
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
Be careful there RyJ ,dry aging occurs while the beef is hanging in a refrigerated cooler, at a specific temperature and humidity, for 10 to 28 days after harvest and prior to cutting into steaks.

Aging Beef at Home!

1. Only the top grades of beef can be dry aged successfully. Use USDA Prime or USDA Choice - Yield Grade 1 or 2 (the highest quality of Choice) only. These have a thick layer of fat on the outside to protect the meat from spoiling during the aging process.

2. Buy a whole rib-eye or loin strip. [You cannot age individual steaks.] Unwrap it, rinse it well with cold water, and allow it to drain; then pat it very dry with paper towels.

3. Wrap the meat in immaculately clean, large, plain white cotton dish towels and place it on the bottom shelf of the refrigerator - which is the coldest spot.

4. Change the towels each day, replacing the moisture-soiled towels with fresh. Continue to change towels as needed for 10 days, to 2 weeks. (See Step #7 for cleaning towels.)

5. After the desired aging time, you're ready to cut off steaks from each end, trim as desired, and allow the rest to continue to age in the refrigerator.

6. If, after 21 days, you have not eaten all the meat, cut the remaining piece into steaks, wrap each steak in freezer-proof, heavy-duty plastic wrap, and freeze. The steaks will keep for several months in the freezer.

7. To clean the towels for re-use, soak the soiled towels, immediately upon removing them from the meat, in cold water overnight. Next, soak them in cold, salted water for 2-3 hours to remove any blood stains. Then launder as usual. In olden days, butchers used to cover sides of beef with cotton "shrouds" during the aging process - this is essentially the same thing.

Rating - 100%
79   0   0
LOL :)

Are your cats capable of opening a refrigerator? That's where that rack is now, covered with paper towel, at the very bottom (coldest part of the fridge) :)

Jeffrey L.

Rating - 100%
79   0   0
Be careful there Ryj ,dry aging occurs while the beef is hanging in a refrigerated cooler, at a specific temperature and humidity, for 10 to 28 days after harvest and prior to cutting into steaks.
You got it! While doing it this way, I still lose weight (water) and when I dry-age porterhouses, it's really neat to watch the meat shrink and be able to see more of the bone :yes:

Jeffrey L.

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
Are you saying you have a system of dry again the recommended way or do you literally just leave them sit on the counter in the kitchen?

Rating - 100%
79   0   0
Are you saying you have a system of dry again the recommended way or do you literally just leave them sit on the counter in the kitchen?
LOL, I took the pic on the counter. They are now at the bottom of my refrigerator (coldest part), covered in paper towel. I will change the paper towel in the morning and flip them at night. Repeat each day.

Jeffrey L.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be careful there RyJ ,dry aging occurs while the beef is hanging in a refrigerated cooler, at a specific temperature and humidity, for 10 to 28 days after harvest and prior to cutting into steaks.

Aging Beef at Home!

1. Only the top grades of beef can be dry aged successfully. Use USDA Prime or USDA Choice - Yield Grade 1 or 2 (the highest quality of Choice) only. These have a thick layer of fat on the outside to protect the meat from spoiling during the aging process.

2. Buy a whole rib-eye or loin strip. [You cannot age individual steaks.] Unwrap it, rinse it well with cold water, and allow it to drain; then pat it very dry with paper towels.

3. Wrap the meat in immaculately clean, large, plain white cotton dish towels and place it on the bottom shelf of the refrigerator - which is the coldest spot.

4. Change the towels each day, replacing the moisture-soiled towels with fresh. Continue to change towels as needed for 10 days, to 2 weeks. (See Step #7 for cleaning towels.)

5. After the desired aging time, you're ready to cut off steaks from each end, trim as desired, and allow the rest to continue to age in the refrigerator.

6. If, after 21 days, you have not eaten all the meat, cut the remaining piece into steaks, wrap each steak in freezer-proof, heavy-duty plastic wrap, and freeze. The steaks will keep for several months in the freezer.

7. To clean the towels for re-use, soak the soiled towels, immediately upon removing them from the meat, in cold water overnight. Next, soak them in cold, salted water for 2-3 hours to remove any blood stains. Then launder as usual. In olden days, butchers used to cover sides of beef with cotton "shrouds" during the aging process - this is essentially the same thing.
Some good information here Thanks

Clint

Clint
Rating - 100%
206   0   1
LOL, I took the pic on the counter. They are now at the bottom of my refrigerator (coldest part), covered in paper towel. I will change the paper towel in the morning and flip them at night. Repeat each day.

Jeffrey L.
Make sure you use the cheapest paper towels available, and only with a heavily dyed holiday design, so that you get all the essence of the ink :)