What's new

Let the dry-aging begin!

Rating - 100%
79   0   0

Danilo

"The Target"
Rating - 100%
116   0   0
To be quite honest with you... I would never do this!!!
I've never seen it done, never heard of it done like this.

Aging individual steaks can be done, but not like this...
In a fridge with UV lights, controlled temp and humidity. this goes against all that.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
jjon90 said:
You cannot age individual steaks
Just something to think about.

The other thing is the amount of crap already in your fridge - the odors will be absorbed by the meat as well.

Rating - 100%
79   0   0
Just something to think about.

The other thing is the amount of crap already in your fridge - the odors will be absorbed by the meat as well.
Hmmmmmmmmmm, never looked at it that way. I'm going to upload some pix of a couple porterhouses I dry-aged (this way) for 5 days. Let me know your thoughts.........the flavor was intense.

Jeffrey L.

Rating - 100%
79   0   0
I've done this before, and it works.

Great looking steak there, Bro!
Thanks, brother! It was really interesting for my friend to explain to me what this does.......by drying it out and draining excess water from the beef, it actually shrinks. Meaning, all of the great flavor/taste you get from the beef gets condensed, therefore intensified in each bite.

Whenever I know a few days in advance that I'll be having steak, I try to buy ahead of time to be able to do this. It's really something...

Jeffrey L.

Rating - 100%
79   0   0
LOL, I just noticed something..........Look at my first pic, of the 5 steaks that I'm currently dry-aging. Then, look at the pic above of the two porterhouses I dry-aged earlier this year. I always use the same sheet pan w/elevated rack. That just shows how HUGE those porterhouses were :) Man, they were delicious... :)

Jeffrey L.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
72 hours in a fridge isn't dry aging - it's dry marinating.

I'll have a solid 3 days for this. Typically I go 5-6
Something to think about -

...dry aging properly takes longer than a couple of days, more like one to three weeks. So I'd say that you are not really dry aging, but rather dry marinating

Rating - 100%
79   0   0
72 hours in a fridge isn't dry aging - it's dry marinating.

Something to think about -
I'll agree that it's not the same as 20-28 days, but in the time that I do this, I do lose some of water-weight from the steak and it clearly shrinks. All of what the paper towel(s) soak up, along with the bone(s) exposing themselves lead me to believe that as well.

If anything, it's better than having a steak cut for you, then going home and cooking it.

Jeffrey L.

Rating - 100%
79   0   0
2 1/2 hours into this process, while at the coldest point in my refrigerator:

From my experience, the first 24 hrs yield the most moisture from the beef.

I just changed the paper towel(s) and will need to do so again in the morning. Come tomorrow evening, I'll be turning them, replacing the paper towel(s) once again and uploading new pix.

Jeffrey L.

theribdoctor

Certifiable.
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
have you weighed the steaks before and after with a kitchen scale?

please tell me you won't be putting anything but salt pepper and maybe garlic powder on those.

Rating - 100%
79   0   0
No, I did not weigh these steaks. As for seasoning.......STRICTLY sea salt and fresh cracked pepper. First I coat them with extra virgin olive oil, though.....this is right before putting onto the grill, after they've set out for an hour at room temperature to ensure even cooking.

Jeffrey L.

have you weighed the steaks before and after with a kitchen scale?

please tell me you won't be putting anything but salt pepper and maybe garlic powder on those.

Rating - 100%
79   0   0
Friday has finally come. After just 3 days, these will be consumed later this evening!

Here's how they looked when I brought them home on Tuesday:

Here's how they look this morning:

I wish I would have picked these up sooner and have been able to do this for 5 days, but 3 will definitely be better than 0!

Have a safe and happy NYE, family!

Your friend and brother,

Jeffrey L.