What's new

let's talk boots

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
little help here? i am in. the market for some new boots. no idea why, but since i was a teen i have had a preference for high tops, and usually boots. might be stability, IDK.

for years i went the punker route, most especially with doc's, to much success, but i had a pair a couple years ago off one of their industrial lines which just wrecked my feet. kinda gunshy about the brand now, unless i did in fact get a bad pair (or line). most recently i have been rocking some Tactical Research (and, had i known, i probably would have payed up to belleville proper). they have been solid, super comfortable, not too overtly militant (they look like hikers at first glance), and i still have some tread after a year and a half, which for the way i walk is great mileage.

i would prefer something in the ten hole range, and with an eye for practicality and durability. i can do industrial, outdoors, or military styles (western styles just ain't me, nor are the overtly athletic). my life revolves around no major hazards, so toe or tarsal guard, slip or electrical resistance, or other OSHA-y stuff is not necessary, but not out of the question.

know there are a lot of y'all here that depend on your footing on a daily basis, and i would appreciate some suggestions.

thanks in advance!

Rating - 100%
58   0   0
Ebay. Hot weather boots. Surplus boots. Your welcome.

I get 18 months on concrete out of them for 50 bucks. Not pretty but pretty damn comfortable.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I've always used docs, not sure why, had a company that I worked for that bought us new ones every six months, stuck with them ever since. I hear what your saying about your feet though, I had to get ortho prescription insoles for mine but I have really flat feet and bad knees. If you can find the ones the militAry uses I recommend those as well! I've been eyeballing the under armour boots, super light weight, my buddy swears by them!

Rating - 100%
58   0   0
Danner or Red Wing make great boots
The last pair of redwings I purchased I payed $275 for. First sole on right boot was gone in 4 weeks. They resoled both for free. Second sole on right boot lasted 5 more weeks. they refused to resole them. This was 3 years ago so I don't know if they have improved their quality but they are not the same as they were ten or 15 years ago. I used to get 2 to three years on a pair. I will never purchase another pair of them. Ever.

Ducttapegonewild

Actual Size
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
I am difficult on boots, so, after much deliberation, I settled on a set of vasque boots.

http://www.vasque.com

I have had the ones I'm currently wearing for about a year now, and they are fast approaching my favorite boots status that is currently held by a 15 year old justin roper.

Hope that helps.

Rating - 100%
156   0   0
The last pair of redwings I purchased I payed $275 for. First sole on right boot was gone in 4 weeks. They resoled both for free. Second sole on right boot lasted 5 more weeks. they refused to resole them. This was 3 years ago so I don't know if they have improved their quality but they are not the same as they were ten or 15 years ago. I used to get 2 to three years on a pair. I will never purchase another pair of them. Ever.
It's been many years since I've owned them so it could have gone down. Vasqu Sundowner have been my medium hiking boots for over 20 years.

Rating - 100%
58   0   0
It's been many years since I've owned them so it could have gone down. Vasqu Sundowner have been my medium hiking boots for over 20 years.
They told me they changed the sole material to be more "durable" around 2008 maybe. It didn't work.

Rating - 100%
47   0   0
How disappointed you must have been. haha

I myself have been a Doc man for years (since junior high), nothing bigger than a 5 hole though. I work in the granite world now so steel toe is required so I have stuck with the Doc steel toe shoes. They don't last as long as they used to anymore but my company pays for about 80% of it so they only cost me about $60 a pair twice a year. Can't go wrong with that I guess.

Rating - 100%
160   0   0
For me finding a comfortable boot is tough, got wide feet with low arches. Cant just go by brand name either, I used to wear red wings til they changed something still a good boot just not as durable as they once were. So now I use KEEN Boots, very comfortable and get 2 yrs of good use out of them currently using these KEEN Pittsburgh boot

Rating - 100%
86   0   0
Wow. I've always liked Redwings. But there are two kinds. The ones made in the US and the ones made in China. It's written on the inside.

Rating - 100%
58   0   0
Wow. I've always liked Redwings. But there are two kinds. The ones made in the US and the ones made in China. It's written on the inside.
Never checked. Bought them from a red wing store and paid through the teeth for them. Honestly didn't know they made some in China. That sucks but explains my issues

Rating - 100%
86   0   0
Possibly. The more expensive ones are usually US. So at 250 they could or probably were the US made. I guess we'll never know. Sorry to hear about your issues though.

Rating - 100%
58   0   0
Possibly. The more expensive ones are usually US. So at 250 they could or probably were the US made. I guess we'll never know. Sorry to hear about your issues though.
Yeah. I swore by red wings for 15 years. Sad to see a good brand try to save a few bucks and degrade their quality. Hopefully my experience was not the norm.

King Kill 33

BoM Dec '13
Rating - 100%
367   0   0
I use KEEN boots as well. As do many of the field guys in my dept. Some of them swear by and against red wing so not sure there. Personally, I like the Keen's I wear now, but I wear them for PPE reasons, not for working. They have the hiking look and are super comfortable. They are a 6" high. They make 8" boots too, for better ankle support as do other companies. They also have a couple lines on their website that are American made. I also have 3 pairs of Keen shoes that have lasted me 2 hard years. No way a Sketchers shoe would have lasted 6 months for me. Hope this helps.

Rating - 100%
56   0   0
I am difficult on boots, so, after much deliberation, I settled on a set of vasque boots.

http://www.vasque.com

I have had the ones I'm currently wearing for about a year now, and they are fast approaching my favorite boots status that is currently held by a 15 year old justin roper.

Hope that helps.
Another vote for Vasque. I have had my Sundowners for at least 20 years, and the are great.