What's new

let's talk boots

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
My daily go-to shoes are my Merrell Moab's. The kind I have are low, but they make a high top as well.

My 300lb fat ass has hiked a few hundred miles in them, mowed the lawn countless times, and been worn on casual nights out & they've always been good to me. Even put a crampon spike through the toe material, still no issues haha.

For military boots, I loved my Altima's. Bombproof (literally in my case) & the rippled soled option I got made me like 6'6"!

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
My daily go-to shoes are my Merrell Moab's. The kind I have are low, but they make a high top as well.

My 300lb fat ass has hiked a few hundred miles in them, mowed the lawn countless times, and been worn on casual nights out & they've always been good to me. Even put a crampon spike through the toe material, still no issues haha.

For military boots, I loved my Altma's. Bombproof (literally in my case) & the rippled soled option I got made me like 6'6"!
I like merrells. Altimas and mcraes can't be beat imo.

Rating - 98.4%
90   1   0
I've seen what's been said about Redwings. I've got a pair of carhartts that are supposedly made by redwing. I've worn them for five years in a machine shop. Metal chips eat through boots like nothing else I've ever encountered. These are holding strong. I'll keep going back for sure.

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
Red Wing or Die Hard.

Bought the former at their discount store for ~125, and they lasted 2 seasons of paving. My Die Hards are on season 2 and still going strong.

Red Wing look much better.

THAT SAID... are you looking for "those" kind of boots? Because there's also stuff like Alexander McQueen collections that will give you a semi just from seeing them on the shelf. Not sure where we should be looking on the durable vs. aesthetic scale.

Big Tex

Meathead
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Danner or Red Wing make great boots
^^ what he said^^

I am 6' 3" and 320 lbs with a size 15B foot. I used to like Docs but they killed my feet after a while. I wore Redwings in my younger years and they held up pretty well. I tried Justin's, Wolverines, HH, and a few others but always go back to Redwing or Danner for the ultimate comfort and quality.

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Redbacks! Awesome boots. Or the timberland pro's, I'm on my feet 12 hr shifts and walk a lot. I can get 9-12 months out of them

BradMc

<b>Charity Liaison</b><br>BoM September 07
Rating - 100%
148   0   0
I use KEEN boots as well. As do many of the field guys in my dept. Some of them swear by and against red wing so not sure there. Personally, I like the Keen's I wear now, but I wear them for PPE reasons, not for working. They have the hiking look and are super comfortable. They are a 6" high. They make 8" boots too, for better ankle support as do other companies. They also have a couple lines on their website that are American made. I also have 3 pairs of Keen shoes that have lasted me 2 hard years. No way a Sketchers shoe would have lasted 6 months for me. Hope this helps.
O come on Doug, U would look good in some High Heeled Sketchers .....You the GHQ Man :eyebrow::rolling:

Fox

BoM May '07
Rating - 100%
70   0   0
Any of you guys ever try White's Boots? They seem to be very popular around here for industrial type conditions. They are some big coin, but guys around here swear by them. I have never tried them, but am curious because of the custom fit.

Rating - 100%
35   0   0
Any of you guys ever try White's Boots? They seem to be very popular around here for industrial type conditions. They are some big coin, but guys around here swear by them. I have never tried them, but am curious because of the custom fit.
white's are definitely some legit boots. hard wearing for sure and should last decades barring complete abuse/ neglect.

its kinda hard to recommend a boot without knowing someones budget and preferences. but some here are some good places to start the hunt for a quality boot.

low/entry level:

wolverine 1000 mile
redwing heritage line
chippewa heritage line

mid- level:

wesco
whites
nicks

nice as a motherf*ck level:

viberg
a handful of japanese makers

there are defiantly more worthy boot makers i didn't mention but those are some solid makers i'd check out for starters.

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I wear Tony Lama's right now, but am pretty disappointed. Most of the guys here on the rigs wear Red Wing Irish Setters and swear by them. I know they had a recall recently, but it was only on a few specific sizes. Ours must be hard toe (I prefer carbon).

Rating - 100%
160   0   0
Redbacks! Awesome boots. Or the timberland pro's, I'm on my feet 12 hr shifts and walk a lot. I can get 9-12 months out of them
I used to wear Timberland Pro, but switched cause for a stretch there they seemed to be having quality control issues had 2 of the same boot basically fall apart on me after 2 mo. just made me weary of buying them. That said still use my old pair as my yard work boots

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
I've been kicking around in a pair of Redwing Iron Rangers since October. I love them.

I kill work boots in about six months because of chemicals. I cover a lot of ground during my shift and either I wear out the soles from many miles a day, or the leather just deteriorates due to the cleaning chemicals. I refuse to wear chemical proof boots though because that means rubber and I like my feet to breath. Currently I'm running around in a pair of Oregon reject boots I got from Sportsmans Guide with a steel toe and water proof I got the Chainsaw S3 boot I think it's called. They're real damn comfortable for me at work.

I wore Belleville for a few years in the brewing environment. They were my old desert boots and the corrosive chemicals didn't damage the gortex.

I had a pair of Redwing boots made in China about 2 years ago. The leather on them went where the sole met the boot leather right at the ball of my foot from constant crouching on my toes. The soles were soft and wearing pretty fast.

For a pair of non-work boots that I had there was a pair of doc martins recently, maybe three years ago. I stepped on some broken glass and that pierced the sole. Then anytime it was wet out my foot got wet through the sole. Perfect right? Leather was so soft and easily gouged/damaged they looked not so great rather quickly. I've also had craptastic Born shoes (avoid at all costs the soles are terrible).

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
guys, thank you. there are a TON of solid reccomendations here, and researching them should keep me busy for a minute. for clarifications:

- budget is flexible, but NOT rock star. i know you can hardly get a solid set of boots under a hundo, but anything past two and a half and i will need that shit to last.
- durability over aesthetic. i gotta like them to live in them, but 14 hours isn't uncommon for me, and walking, running, ladders, crouching and more are all involved. basically, everything except hazardous conditions.

seriously, the personal feedback helps (and will continue to help), and I appreciate.

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
I used to wear Timberland Pro, but switched cause for a stretch there they seemed to be having quality control issues had 2 of the same boot basically fall apart on me after 2 mo. just made me weary of buying them. That said still use my old pair as my yard work boots
I'm gonna take a wild guess and figure you work for the USPS...

http://www.theunionbootpro.com/products/dsp_productDetail.cfm?pSKU=58&w=