What's new

Lighting your cigar: La Méthode de Jacques Puisais

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
I use the 3 match process, but to truly do it correctly it must be done while hanging from a Teeters HangUp. And it really opens up the sinus. And when you turn 72, you'll feel GREAT.

Rating - 100%
59   0   0
I too use one of those jet flame torches, and as I was sitting there with the cigar rotating 6'" above it to keep from charring the foot, a thought kept tumbling around in my head. Wouldn't the perfect lighter be one of those coiled metal lighters like what used to come standard in every motor vehicle made in the 20th century? It gets hot, but not too hot, and you can keep it on there long enough to get a nice even burn going. A portable one would probably be unfeasable, it must take enough electricity to kill a battery quickly, but does anyone make something like that for home use?

Cardinal

Conscientious Objector
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I tried it this afternoon, and used 3 matches to get it lit before I even clipped the foot.
Cigar smoked great, but I still don't know if the lighting method really made any difference.

herfdog

I am no rocket surgeon
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
I tried it this afternoon, and used 3 matches to get it lit before I even clipped the foot.
Cigar smoked great, but I still don't know if the lighting method really made any difference.
To really know if theres a difference, you small light two identical cigars with the two méthodes and compare.

I think its a great way to light up the stick no matter what.

Cardinal

Conscientious Objector
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
To really know if theres a difference, you small light two identical cigars with the two méthodes and compare.
That's one of things I could say I'll try, but I probably never will :happy:

It was fun though and worked fine. Yet another ritual to add to the repertoire, as they say in France.

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Makes sense....
That "review" should have been done blind, though in order to give it any relevance .
Clint makes the most important point. If not done blind, the review is worthless. If you want it to taste better using this method, it's likely it will. I would add that testing only one cigar using this method is not near enough. Too many variables. 10 would give you a more accurate picture.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was planning on havinga monti no. 4 on saturday, will have to give this a shot.
well i tried it and to be honest i will need to do it again but with a af curly head ecause i havea few of them, i only had one monti #4. I really enjoyed it but the only comparable smoke i havewas a monti open junior and i found that very mild and not really for me. The 4 was much stronger and more robust flavors so more to my likeing, although it did get bitter at the end so i was unable to truly nub it.

Rating - 100%
65   0   0
I've been doing this for my last handful of gars. Even purging before my first puff, haven't noticed much difference. My regular method has always been to toast the foot, and never puff while lighting. I'll keep chuggin along tho, neat theory.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I've tried it a couple times now, it might taste a bit cleaner, but it's probably psychosomatic. It does result in a very even light, though. Not an on the go type ritual, but nice in the evening.

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I've done most of the lighting methods described and have found that using a soft flame is probably the best way to light any cigar as the heat from a torch can reach as high as 2600 degrees F....that's pretty intense when you consider that the transfer of heat from a torch can change the taste dramatically in a cigar. Some use a torch and are able to keep the flame from actually touching the foot...not an easy feat. That heat will transfer where the tobacco is scorched and then you'll taste that for a considerable time because that heated transfer of tobacco has permeated through the entire length of the cigar. A soft flame burns at about half that temperature and it takes about a minute or two to actually get the foot a nice glowing orange. I've lit cigars with the head clipped and not clipped and I have a better taste experience with the unclipped cigar but the drawback is that you might have chosen a cigar that has a tight draw to it....if you have a good draw tool you can use that to fix the problem. Cedar spills are a great way to light and I like to use that as well because it imparts the cedar to the cigar where you will taste it for at least a third of the cigar. The wooden match ( 3 match lighting ) is another good way to light your cigar but that tends to make the light that much longer so my choice is a good soft flame with a lighter that has a good wide flame...example Xikar Exodus. I have also used the "wetting method" on my cigars and it adds an even better dimension and what that means is that you don't clip your cigar but rather put it under a running stream of water ( light stream ) and hold your cigar by the head with the foot not being exposed to the water for obvious reasons. Once you have let the water run over the length of the cigar take a dry paper towel and dry it off....let it sit for about 24 hours and smoke it the next day and this process really helps with the overall burn rate and keeps your burn nice and straight w/o incident. When I can remember to do this the day before I do it a lot because it makes the smoke experience that much better. For some this might be overkill but I'll do pretty much anything to make the experience better.

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
I have a heck of a time getting a cigar lit on three matches using this method. More like 5 or 6, and the end is usually a little blackened.

Torches work for me.

herfdog

I am no rocket surgeon
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
I have a heck of a time getting a cigar lit on three matches using this method. More like 5 or 6, and the end is usually a little blackened.

Torches work for me.
Tried with a yard gar yesterday and it seems like a reliable method for an even burn. Will try soon with a better cigar to see if it does anything good.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Just tried it with my torch and worked great. I do usually toast it until it is pretty well lit anyway though. However, i I really did notice a difference it the first inch or so.