What's new

Local Pipe Clubs (and how to start one if none are available)

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Spring strong sweet tall green grass grow...
Please comment here if you belong to (or know of) a pipe club in your area!
Include any information about membership, dues, meeting times & places, etc.
I'll try to keep an organized updated list in these top posts.
Also, if you are a member of one, or better yet if you help run one, please let us know what you would recommend in getting something started as well as how you've maintained interest. Things you like or don't like. Etc...
Granted, there is always "put up flyers" or "start a Facebook group" but I'm sure specific experiences shared would go a long way.
I personally am anxious to hear what you all have to say, as I think I might try to start something up myself when we move out of the metro.
Hopefully this can become another living growing archive of information, so let's hear what you all have to say!

(thanks to @JustTroItIn for the bit of inspiration)

Last edited:

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
US AREA PIPE CLUBS
Florida:
Lakeland
Lakeland Society of Pipe Enthusiasts
  • www.facebook.com/LakelandPipeClub
  • Membership:
  • Meets: Every other Saturday an noon (some members come every Saturday)
  • Venue: Edward's Pipe and Tobacco in Lakeland, FL
  • Local BOTL: stukibuilt
Illinois:
Chicago
Chicago Pipe Collector's Club
  • Membership:
  • Meets:
  • Venue:
  • Local BOTL: rdomfoto
Rob's Monthly Pipe Herf (pending)
  • Membership: open
  • Meets: (pending)
  • Venue: (pending)
  • Local BOTL: rdomfoto
Indiana:
Ft. Wayne
Fort Wayne Cigar (& Pipe) Club
Maryland:
Frederick
Pipe Club
  • Membership:
  • Meets: 3rd Tuesday of every month
  • Venue: Quartermasters Cigars in Frederick, MD
  • Local BOTL: Grrrrr609
Minnesota:
Minneapolis/St. Paul
Great Northern Pipe Club
New Jersey:
Vineland
Pipe Smokers of New Jersey (PSNJ)
  • Membership:
  • Meets: 3rd Saturday of every month
  • Venue: Williams Totally Tobacco 137 S. Delsea Dr. Vineland, NJ 08360
  • Local BOTL: K Williams
New York:
Manhattan
New York Pipe Club
Ohio:
Cincinnati
Cincinnati Area Pipe Society (CAPS)
  • Membership:
  • Meets: 4th Saturday of every month at 11 a.m.
  • Venue: Straus Tobacconist in Florence, KY
  • Local BOTL: cigarblunk
Virginia:
Winchester
Winchester Pipe Club
  • Membership:
  • Meets: 1st Tuesday of every month
  • Venue: JB Hayes in Winchester, VA
  • Local BOTL: Grrrrr609

CANADA AREA PIPE CLUBS

Alberta:
Edmonton
Pipe Club
  • Membership: Free
  • Meets:
  • Venue:
  • Local BOTL: Newfiepipe, crperkins

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Please comment here if you belong to (or know of) a pipe club in your area!
Include any information about membership, dues, meeting times & places, etc.
I'll try to keep an organized updated list in these top posts.
Also, if you are a member of one, or better yet if you help run one, please let us know what you would recommend in getting something started as well as how you've maintained interest. Things you like or don't like. Etc...
Granted, there is always "put up flyers" or "start a Facebook group" but I'm sure specific experiences shared would go a long way.
I personally am anxious to hear what you all have to say, as I think I might try to start something up myself when we move out of the metro.
Hopefully this can become another living growing archive of information, so let's hear what you all have to say!
Sent you a PM.

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
So, I committed a Cardinal Forum Sin and didn't search before I started a thread. *embarrassing*
@Grrrrr609 brought this up once before back in May. Sorry, Dave, didn't mean to step on any toes.
If you don't mind, I'll continue maintaining this, and I've added the Winchester information to the list above.
If it's something you want to drive, just say the word and it's all yours.

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
There's the Chicago Pipe Collector's Club. No information on when they meet, how often they meet, where they meet, or if they still meet at all. Sent them a message through their Facebook page a few days ago but have heard nothing (they've posted on their timeline since then). I am kind of thinking that it's either closed to new members or they just focus their attention on the annual pipe show.

So, I may just start a regularly scheduled pipe herf once a month and invite people and, if we start getting a few regulars, then make it more of an "official" club. Might even do it through Meetup.

Hoshneer

Drew Estate NotRex
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
We have one here in Fort Wayne. I help organize it but it's ran by all of us in the club. It's a cigar and pipe club both. The pipe portion is smaller than the cigar portion but we all gather together and enjoy smoking.

If we share pipe tobacco we usually just bring tins their everyone to try out. Pipe tobacco is so cheap and it's so much easier sharing a bowl with many people out of one tin.
We aren't very organized but we always have a good time. We usually go to different venues every month and share suggestions. We are kinda different for a club, we are mostly 20-35 year range with some older guys. We have a few women in the club as well.

In my experience it helps to have a private group on Facebook because with us things always get a little out of hand. That and it's always hard to not offend shops if we don't show up every month. We are not loyal to any certain shop and we try to visit most places every year. We usually end up at a shop or bar maybe even someone's house.

Its a lot of work to be honest. My suggestion is realize it will take time and realize like any group you will always have to deal with issues. I have learned a lot though and have changed quite a bit over the last couple of years. It just takes a lot of patience and time.

I should add that I wouldn't trade the people in our group for anyone in the world. We are all very different people and while that causes issues sometimes in most cases we learn from the experience. I know I have ate a lot of humble pie and continue to learn everyday.

Also we don't charge for membership and never will. We are just friends and if we want to split something we do it privately by lapyap.

www.fortwaynecigarclub.com

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
There's the Chicago Pipe Collector's Club. No information on when they meet, how often they meet, where they meet, or if they still meet at all. Sent them a message through their Facebook page a few days ago but have heard nothing (they've posted on their timeline since then). I am kind of thinking that it's either closed to new members or they just focus their attention on the annual pipe show.
So, I may just start a regularly scheduled pipe herf once a month and invite people and, if we start getting a few regulars, then make it more of an "official" club. Might even do it through Meetup.
Keep us posted!

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
We have one here in Fort Wayne. I help organize it but it's ran by all of us in the club. It's a cigar and pipe club both. The pipe portion is smaller than the cigar portion but we all gather together and enjoy smoking.
If we share pipe tobacco we usually just bring tins their everyone to try out. Pipe tobacco is so cheap and it's so much easier sharing a bowl with many people out of one tin.
We aren't very organized but we always have a good time. We usually go to different venues every month and share suggestions. We are kinda different for a club, we are mostly 20-35 year range with some older guys. We have a few women in the club as well.
In my experience it helps to have a private group on Facebook because with us things always get a little out of hand. That and it's always hard to not offend shops if we don't show up every month. We are not loyal to any certain shop and we try to visit most places every year. We usually end up at a shop or bar maybe even someone's house.
Its a lot of work to be honest. My suggestion is realize it will take time and realize like any group you will always have to deal with issues. I have learned a lot though and have changed quite a bit over the last couple of years. It just takes a lot of patience and time.
I should add that I wouldn't trade the people in our group for anyone in the world. We are all very different people and while that causes issues sometimes in most cases we learn from the experience. I know I have ate a lot of humble pie and continue to learn everyday.
Also we don't charge for membership and never will. We are just friends and if we want to split something we do it privately by lapyap.
www.fortwaynecigarclub.com
Awesome! Thanks Hoshy!

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Oh, so *that's* who hoshy is. I think Grrrr originally meant for me to bomb him with snuff instead of stin, but I was sent stin's address instead. *shrug*

Told you I was drunk that night, apparently enough to mix up usernames and PMs, but not too drunk to correctly enter a shipping address.

Hoshneer

Drew Estate NotRex
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
Oh, so *that's* who hoshy is. I think Grrrr originally meant for me to bomb him with snuff instead of stin, but I was sent stin's address instead. *shrug*

Told you I was drunk that night, apparently enough to mix up usernames and PMs, but not too drunk to correctly enter a shipping address.
This just made my day because that brother is much more deserving.

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
HA! That's rich! (and makes more sense)
But I think they way it turned out was AWESOME.
Good stuff, guys!

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Lakeland Society of Pipe Enthusiasts.
We don't have a website, just an untended Facebook page for now. Every other Saturday at Edwards Pipe and Tobacco in Lakeland at noon. Really it's just about every Saturday but not officially.

Show up early to harass Russ... Ha ha

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
151   0   0
Caps

Cincinnati area pipe society meets the 4th Saturday of each month at Straus in Florence KY at 11am. I have yet to make it to a meeting but will hopefully this month.

Rating - 100%
163   0   0
Frederick Md has a new pipe club at Quartermasters cigars on the third Tuesdays of the month I think.

Rating - 100%
163   0   0
Hell if I know. I think the only real concern is he's never had snuff before, which is what I sent him. Apparently you were the more appropriate nasal snuff target?
Yup now u know who hoshy is. Lol I shoulda messaged ya. Only 2 I know of that snuffs here is me and hoshy and knowing your condition I had to start pointing fingers before fingers started pointing at me.