What's new

Looking to Buy a new Camera

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Hello Brothers,

I know we have a lot of brothers who are very interested in photography so I am looking for a solid camera I am thinking DSLR. If I could get some direction and idea ask the questions and I will answer all I can on my needs and requirements.

Thank you brothers
JM

Rating - 100%
56   0   0
Hey man, I'm a relative newb at photography, but here's a few tips I have:

-Don't break the bank with your first kit. You don't need $1000 camera rig.
-Read reviews online, B&H Photo is a great resource, IMO.
-See if you can learn basic photography stuff first; can you explain ISO, shutter speed, & aperture? The relationship between them?
-Will you mostly be shooting full auto? If so, a point and shoot might be the way to go.
-Don't spend too much on your first one.
-Don't shell out $1000 for your first one.
-Buy a case.

My first camera was a Canon Revel t2i kit; I loved that camera so much. Cost $600 at Costco, came with multiple lenses, case, card, the works. It got stolen in August, and I upgraded to a Fujifilm XE1 mirrorless camera and 18-55 lense; after this year, I will probably try to trade it to move away from mirrorless; doesn't perform well enough in low light for my price range.

What do you want to shoot?

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Hey barbarino I am looking to take family pics, scenery, and other things like that. I enjoy taking pics of cars and items like that. I have been looking at a EOS rebel t5 it's comes with 3 lenses, a bag and a tripod

Rating - 100%
58   0   0
Are you looking to shoot auto or manual???? For the price of you are not going to shoot manual (setting your own shutter f-stop etc) I would say just go with a inexpensive one.

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
I'll tell you what I tell others who ask the same question - imagine saying you want to buy a new car. Someone tells you to buy a minivan because they have one and love it. So you do, but you realize that they have four kids and it's just you and your wife, so it's way too big and not the right car. Or your single friends tell you to buy a Toyota Prius but you have two kids, a wife, and your in-laws.

So, instead of asking which camera to buy, let's ask and answer a few questions first. Because a $2000 kit might be the right answer for you OR a $500 kit may fit you perfectly.

1. What do you like to photograph? Do you want to take your gear on family outings? Or the kids' events like soccer games, etc.? Or do you plan on hiking through the woods for several miles to get that perfect landscape? Want to do portraits and/or weddings?

2. What, if anything, do you currently own? This includes every piece of gear like bags, tripods, lenses, bodies, etc.

3. Why do you want a new camera? Is there something in your current camera that you find limiting? What about your current camera do you like?

4. What is your budget?

Start with those four questions and we can start guiding you down the path to the right camera for you and your needs. Otherwise, a $500 camera may be a total waste of money but spending an extra $200 would have gotten you what you need.

Feel free to PM as well if you're not comfy talking about your budget on the forum (and that goes for any brother or sister here!)

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Hey Rob,

Thanks for all of the help. Alright I am going to answer the question to the best of my ability.

1. I love taking pictures of nice cars ( I go to several auto shows and cover auto showings), wife and I are planning on starting a family and we both have large families so there are alot of family gatherings so pictures are a must on top of the fact that there are alot of weddings coming up for us for friends and families. We also like hikes and take pictures when we go on hikes but also on vacation. This will also be a camera that I am hoping to take alot of pics of my kids when I have them.

2. Currently the wife and I have cellphones and a little digital camera sony I think and it is just a click and pic camera. I want to be able to take good pictures so I can send them to family and also make cards and such items. As for items I don't know how to put this Nothing LOL.

3.Currently the phones are alright but and the digital shoot is alright but the quality is crap so I am hoping to get everything I am looking for. I like the click and shoot but I also want a camera that will take videos that will be good for those first step moments and other stuff like that.

4. Budget I would say in the range of $500-900.

I hope this covered everything but let me know if there is something else you may want to know lol.

Thanks for the help brothers.
JM

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
That helps a lot, thanks.

So, first thing to know is that the quality of your lenses is far more important than your camera body. You will always be better off going to the next level down on the camera body and buying the next level up of lens.

Fortunately, these days there are some really decent zoom lenses that will cover your needs (based on what you wrote).

For shooting cars and such, you're going to want a wide angle lens. For the kids, you're going to want something that's going to let you get a bit tighter in to them as well. So, at that budget amount, I am going to STRONGLY advise against getting a dSLR. It's a system that's on its way out and the few advantages it has left are not needed by you.

As a parent, I can also tell you that you will definitely want the ability to shoot video. Going back now and looking at some of the video I've shot of my kids is priceless. And creating hybrid output (combining stills and video) is really easy with platforms like ProShow Web as well as the software that will come with your camera.

Instead, take a serious look at a mirrorless camera. They're smaller, easier to use, quality is the same as the dSLR bodies, and less expensive. The two I would point you toward are the Sony Alpha a6000 and the Panasonic LUmix GX7. Both have kits that are around the $700-$800 mark at B&H (bhphotovideo.com - no affiliation!). Eventually you will want to add or replace the lens that comes with them but that's down the road. The kit lens is pretty decent so you shouldn't feel like you need to replace it immediately. However ,as far as kit lenses go, I'd give a slight nod to the Sony.

Both the a600 and the GX7 get rave reviews and I think you'd be happy (and satisfied) with either.

Now, in the interest of full disclosure, I am a mirrorless evangelist and currently part of the talent team at HybridPhoto.pro. But I am not paid to promote any brands (in fact, I can't).

Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Ok I will post a more i depth post tomorrow when I have time

Just some back ground in me .. I free lance for the New York Giants, Staten Island yankees, and New York yankees.

For a starter a t3i will do perfect and you can find those used for around 200 .. And have money to play to invest in glass (lens) it's not the camera it's the glass to invest in.. Remember that.. for cars a nice zoom lens and wide angle lens and a prime would do great again I will go in depth in a late post

Or you can go the mirrorless route which I have as well like rob said..

I love my mirrorless cameras I own my olympus omd .. I love it because you can use and micro four thirds lens which is a WIDE variety of lens .. And they quality is literally just as good as Dslr's for the same price half the size and weight.

B&H is the place to shop def as they have the cheapest and don't be afraid to look in the used dept. and even Craigslist.

I own

Canon 5d Mark 2
Canon 5d Mark 3
Canon 1dx

Olympus OMD
Fuji x100

Canon 50mm 1.4
40mm
70-100 f/4
70-200 f2.8
24-105 f/4
Fisheye
17-35
300 f/2.8

Just some info for you to look into before I go in depth hope that helps .. Sorry I'm at work on tapatalk but tomorrow when I get home I'll do a better post.

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Ok I will post a more i depth post tomorrow when I have time

Just some back ground in me .. I free lance for the New York Giants, Staten Island yankees, and New York yankees.

For a starter a t3i will do perfect and you can find those used for around 200 .. And have money to play to invest in glass (lens) it's not the camera it's the glass to invest in.. Remember that.. for cars a nice zoom lens and wide angle lens and a prime would do great again I will go in depth in a late post

Or you can go the mirrorless route which I have as well like rob said..

I love my mirrorless cameras I own my olympus omd .. I love it because you can use and micro four thirds lens which is a WIDE variety of lens .. And they quality is literally just as good as Dslr's for the same price half the size and weight.

B&H is the place to shop def as they have the cheapest and don't be afraid to look in the used dept. and even Craigslist.

I own

Canon 5d Mark 2
Canon 5d Mark 3
Canon 1dx

Olympus OMD
Fuji x100

Canon 50mm 1.4
40mm
70-100 f/4
70-200 f2.8
24-105 f/4
Fisheye
17-35
300 f/2.8

Just some info for you to look into before I go in depth hope that helps .. Sorry I'm at work on tapatalk but tomorrow when I get home I'll do a better post.
Great post, brother.

You bring up an excellent point that I didn't - there is a great used market for camera bodies. Personally (and this is just my opinion) I would stay away from used lenses. Most pros abuse their gear and, by the time they're ready to sell used stuff, it's probably past its prime. But the bodies? Absolutely. And look for refurb models, too. They may not carry the same warranty but they will have a warranty of some form. Mid-level bodies can be a great find on the used market as people often trade them in to move up.

P.S. - sorry you have to attend NY Yankees games. Maybe things will get better next year :rofl:

Cigarth Vader

Official Jedi of BOTL.org
Retailer
Rating - 100%
99   0   0
As someone who just got started with photography, needing to take pictures at cigar events with lots of low light, and then lots of sticks and bottles in a softbox I settled on the Pentax K50.

I love the camera, feels great in hand, and takes wonderful pics.

I shot everything for the next issue with it, and even dabbled in some sports photography this weekend at my cousins soccer game.

It cost me just under $600 for the body and two lenses.

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Alright I see where we are going with this. I clearly had no idea what I was really getting into. I thought DSLR was the IT things.
You guys have been a great help. So I guess I will ask what is the difference between DSLR and Mirrorless?
As I have done little research you guys are actually my jump point so I can have an idea on my direction and then you will also be my hardcore detail answers too.
So lets hear the schooling from the get go.
jm

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Lots of great advice here. It sounds like you are going to be doing a lot of the same photography that I enjoy. I have been paid for a few wedding but have no desire to be pro in still photography. I am a professional videographer. For stills I mainly shoot portraits of my kids and landscapes. My son is getting into sports so i have been taking pics at his games.

My kit is aging now, but I still love it. And it still gets the job done.

Canon 40d with battery grip
35 f2.0
50 f1.8
85 f1.8
200 f2.8
And 3 flashes, tripod wireless triggers ect.

If I could afford it I would get the 24 -70 f2.8 and the 70-200 f 2.8. That would be my dream.

Lots of options out there and I don't think anyone can tell you exactly the perfect combo for you. Go to a camera shop where you can get hands on with them and see what feels good to you.

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Thank is the thought process for me. I am definitely going to go to a few places where I can get my hands on these cameras and play around for a little bit.
I am still unsure with the DSLR and Mirrorless so that is something else that I am going to look into and definitely work around figuring out what I want and what works.
JM

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Alright so I have continued the research on the day. Mirrorless seems much more manual and more of a legit camera if I'm wrong please correct me. Next I am looking at packages for both some have filters and well I'll be damned I have no clue what a lens filter is or does. Please be kind and gentle

Rating - 100%
56   0   0
There are MANY different kinds of filters. Generally speaking they alter the light entering the camera and can create different color effects on the resulting photos. The most common type is a clear UV filters. They are clear and have a little anti-glare effect, but the practical purpose is to protect the lens elements. If you drop you camera, a $20 filter is a lot cheaper to replace than an expensive lens.

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Ok so it makes sense that's what I was reading about them but I was unsure if there was more to it. I have seen a lot of different types and effects so that will be a learning curve after I got the camera itself.

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
You can take great pictures with entry-level camera body and great lenses. That's much harder, and often impossible to do with great camera and budget lenses. Buy a good all-around lens to start and don't go cheap on your lenses in the future. You'll regret it.
Much like cigars (or any other hobby)...you say your "budget is..." we all smile knowingly. If you truly do want to budget for this, keep in mind some things that you don't 'need' the day you buy the camera, but you will be shopping for very soon....consider factoring them into your budget. It is possible to go cheap with these things, but you'll almost certainly regret it
tripod
extra batteries
bag
memory
post processing software
computer/laptop with more RAM and drive space than you ever thought you'd need
flash
more lenses!