What's new

Looking to get a V cutter

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
I have always used a double guillotine but am looking to purchase a V cutter. I have been told that Xikar is the way to go. Does anyone have any other recommendations that I should look at? I want something that has a warranty and will stand the test of time.

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
I have no experience with any V aside from my xikar, as I haven't been given a reason by my xikar to use another V. I know that this doesn't get at your question, but you can buy with confidence.

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Spring strong sweet tall green grass grow...
I recall Rupe mentioning something about a V-Cut recently...
Found it:
http://www.botl.org/community/forums/showthread.php?p=1307666
Might want to try one of these first to see if you even like it before you drop the money on the Xikar. Then if you're a fan of the cut and still get the Xikar you'll have a spare to stash away in a glove box or something for emergencies! :thumbup:

Smoqman

BoM Aug. 2014
Rating - 100%
278   0   0
I really like the V cutter I got from Xikar. Hell, I liked it is much I bought more as gifts.

Had to ....my month-old Palio started chipping and the cut was not as good as has been written abooot. Hard to cut actually :(

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I have had this v-cutter for 3 years and love the cut. Clean. Two friends have them and feel the same way.

I've tried the Xikar several times and have the Wolf cutter, but it is rarely used. The only downside to the hardwood V-cutter is that the cut piece tends to stay in the cutter on certain cigars. Removal is easy enough with a fingernail or by tapping it.

ATL

BoM 10/12, 9/13, & 8/14
Rating - 100%
342   0   0
The v cutter from xikar is great. A v cut on a lance is the way to go. I've had mine for a few years now, it's great.

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
401   0   0
I used the cheap one that I bought on Amazon for $3 for almost 2 years and was quite happy with it. A few months ago I thought that I would treat myself and bought a Xikar. I know that others here say they are great but personally I think the Xikar V cutter is a piece of crap. They are wobbly and barely cut the cap (no depth). My advice is to not waste your money.

I have gone back to using my $3 Amazon cutter and am quite happy.

Rating - 100%
69   0   0
I haven't used a Xikar V before but if you haven't used a V before I would do as Rupe and try a $3 one fore jumping to a Xikar. It would stink to drop $50 and not like the cut.

Rating - 100%
31   0   0
I used a "V" cutter for years and I always liked them. I didnt end up cutting too much and the cap falls off, and I always got a good draw. My only problem was, I bought cheap crap and they broke very often. I have used punch, guillotine, scissor and I always want to go back to the V, My better half just asked me what I wanted for Christmas and I told her a Xikar "V" cutter. I reall like the carbon fiber one... but this is just my .02 cents

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have/use the Xikar V-Cutter. It has given 0 problems plus it has the Xikar lifetime warranty.

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The hardwood V Cutter is a copy off of the boston V cutter...that one is called the "Lil Guy" and they cost over a $100. I bought one about 14 years ago and it has stood the test of time..better quality and everything else. The copies tend to be you get what you get...some like em and then they fall apart later and get dull and tear the tobacco pretty bad. Having said that the Xikar V Cutter is a good one as well and with the their warranty you're good for the rest of your life.

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
I'm another fan of the Xikar V-cutter. Make sure its the metal bodied one. I originally bought a Wolff plastic one. Though it works and cuts well, the metal Xikar one feels much, much better in the hands and cuts extremely well.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
The hardwood V Cutter is a copy off of the boston V cutter...that one is called the "Lil Guy" and they cost over a $100. I bought one about 14 years ago and it has stood the test of time..better quality and everything else. The copies tend to be you get what you get...some like em and then they fall apart later and get dull and tear the tobacco pretty bad. Having said that the Xikar V Cutter is a good one as well and with the their warranty you're good for the rest of your life.
Thanks for the info about the Boston Cutter Little Guy. I have never heard of it before.

It certainly does look like my V cutter. I guess I don't see the knock-off cutter ever falling apart as it is a very simple design. ( I have a mechanical background and I really appreciate simple and effective designs). The v-cutter "blade" looks to be made of tool steel or something similar with razor sharp edges. Mine has easily cut over 1000 cigars with no noticeable change in outcome since my first cut with it. If it ever does dull, you remove a few small screws and you can easily sharpen the cutting edges.

I'd buy another one in a heartbeat, but probably wouldn't shell out over $100 for the original as I'd be terribly upset if I lost or mis-placed it when golfing or something.

Thanks again for the info.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My xikar v cutter just arrived today and after 3 cuts I'm a fan. I've been missing out on the v cuts (been straight cutting for years) and this may become my preferred method.