What's new

Martini's

hdroadglide

BoM x 2, BoY 2011
Rating - 100%
514   0   0
when we bruise, we receive impact to the body that causes discoloration (blood vessel breakage)
this old guys idea was that you had to shake the gin hard so that it would bruise.

Moro

BoM Decembre '08
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
when we bruise, we receive impact to the body that causes discoloration (blood vessel breakage)
this old guys idea was that you had to shake the gin hard so that it would bruise.
I knew what a regular bruise was; just wondered what it was with gin. So ye mean bruise it hard, pour it and stir in the vermouth?

hdroadglide

BoM x 2, BoY 2011
Rating - 100%
514   0   0
pretty much.
it's just funny to hear all the different theories. some like it gently stirred. some like the heck beat out of it.
wonder if you set both in front of someone and did a blind taste test if there would really be any difference???

Moro

BoM Decembre '08
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
pretty much.
it's just funny to hear all the different theories. some like it gently stirred. some like the heck beat out of it.
wonder if you set both in front of someone and did a blind taste test if there would really be any difference???
Sounds like an interesting experiment to me. All this talk has made me want one badly...and it's 9:00 am.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was always careful not to "bruise" from my early education in gin, not sure if there's anything there, or not. The chick on the Aficionado video said something about "burning", which I assume is the same type of damage (or improvement, as you see fit).

openendstraight

Grand Corona
Rating - 100%
118   0   0
I had a Black Martini last night.

Choppin vodka, Kahlua, chilled espresso. Shake all and strain into martini glass, then float heavy cream on top. Not bad

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, so I tried Hendrick's Gin last night; they say "it's not for everyone", and they are right, it's not for me. This stuff is made in Scotland and apparently goes through a rose petal and cucumber mash phase, which makes it just a tad sweet for my taste (of course the second one tasted much better) .... Recommended served with a slice of cucumber .... I think Bombay Sapphire still has my vote until I find Martin Miller's Westborn Strength (whatever that means) ... but I maintain an open mind .......

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Psycho ... I have to say that you make awesome double martinis. However, as you've no doubt experienced, here's what I like to drink while relaxing with an Upmann's M46. It's a Canadian whiskey blended with maple syrup and it's called Sortilège.

From what I'm told it's only available in Québec, so even if I'm in Ottawa I'll scoot over to buy a couple of bottles and one has your name on it.

Cheers.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, so I tried Hendrick's Gin last night; they say "it's not for everyone", and they are right, it's not for me. This stuff is made in Scotland and apparently goes through a rose petal and cucumber mash phase, which makes it just a tad sweet for my taste (of course the second one tasted much better) .... Recommended served with a slice of cucumber .... I think Bombay Sapphire still has my vote until I find Martin Miller's Westborn Strength (whatever that means) ... but I maintain an open mind .......
Hey man, I don't know ... tasted different from the other martinis you've made but it wasn't all that bad the second time around.

Was that Hendrick's you used last time I was over?

Cheers.

strife

Watcher of the Sky
Rating - 100%
107   0   1
Sapphire gives me a headache, I'll stick with Tanqueray and Martini & Rossi vermouth. Nothing like a classic. 2 olives please and no bruising, I like the drink crystal clear.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UR - Right! The Sortilège would go well with a good slow stick. Enjoyed the taste the other evening. Thanks for thinking of me, I'll be waiting next time you go over.
I'm sure you havent tried the Hendrick's, I picked it up just a few days back. It is definitely a different taste from any other gins I have tried; sort of a subtle hint of something that struck me like a perfume in there. As I said, not at the top for me, but I can see how the difference would grow on one. Maybe we'll go for another one next time ....

Strife - Tanqueray is one of the finest, for sure. No argument from me there. And I also like crystal clear concoctions, cold as humanly possible, and olives are my route as well. If I have a martini before dinner, often 6 or 8 olives wind up being dinner. Simplifies things. Habit that started somewhere in the central states several years back ....

Cheers, mates ....

Moro

BoM Decembre '08
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Forgot to post the advances on those olives! Ok, ye roast a garlic (ye peel the outer layers, leaving the individual cloves still together and unpeeled. Ye cut the top of the cloves so they're exposed, drizzle a wee tadof olive oil and wrap it in foil to then bake for about half an hour at 400° F, or until the cloves feel soft) and, either stuff a pitted olive with a whole clove or purée several to fill the olive with the paste (whichever texture ye'd rather; also if puréed it'll let a tad loose in the cocktail). They're, in me opinion, a load better than the raw garlic stuffed ones. And it gives the martini a very peculiar taste.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
From what I'm told it's only available in Québec, so even if I'm in Ottawa I'll scoot over to buy a couple of bottles and one has your name on it.
Cheers.

Hey Psycho and Uppmann,

Sortilege is available in Alberta. I'm surprised you can't find it in Ontario. If you're needing some, let me know, and I can post some out to ya.

jwintosh

BoM June 07
Rating - 100%
353   0   0
Forgot to post the advances on those olives! Ok, ye roast a garlic (ye peel the outer layers, leaving the individual cloves still together and unpeeled. Ye cut the top of the cloves so they're exposed, drizzle a wee tadof olive oil and wrap it in foil to then bake for about half an hour at 400° F, or until the cloves feel soft) and, either stuff a pitted olive with a whole clove or purée several to fill the olive with the paste (whichever texture ye'd rather; also if puréed it'll let a tad loose in the cocktail). They're, in me opinion, a load better than the raw garlic stuffed ones. And it gives the martini a very peculiar taste.
yummy