Rating - 96%
32   1   0
I'm not a huge fan of them but will drink them on occasion

Randy, bleu cheese in a martini?

Cigar_Jack

BoM May 05
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Those Bleu cheese stuffed Olives are addictive I can barely keep enough around for my drinks. Espeically if you get them off the Olive Bar and the fancy grocery stores.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, these look like some older posts, so I dont expect anyone to bite on this soon, but:
I am also a martini freak, just the traditional "classic" style, not into the weird flavored ones (chocolate, crantini, etc) .... set in my ways ... HOWEVER,
I bounced off the Cigar Aficionado site yesterday and checked out a video they had, "Martini Mysteries" - nothing special, but the bartender chick was using a couple of gins I will now be looking for ..... COULDNT GET THE NAMES, exactly, so I am wondering if any brothers might be familiar with gins that sound sort of like "Marty Miller" (80%) and "Westborn" (90%)??? These have got me interested, and as I will be in AZ end of this month, I will be searching. Can anyone help me narrow this noble quest???
P.S. Currently using Bombay Sapphire; best I have located so far ...

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK Troops, thanks; I have gotten the critical info for which I was searching. I guess it's Martin Miller I'm looking for, Miller's Gin (80 proof)and Miller's Westborn Strength (90 proof). Never tried 'em so I'll be prowling the booze shops end-month in AZ. Nothing wrong with my Sapphire, but it never hurts to shop around. Cheers .... :drool:

Moro

BoM Decembre '08
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
P.S. ... Moro - did you get the recipe?? Saw the movie, but missed the best part, looks like.
Have ye asked earlier. Of course!

Vesper according to the book:

"A dry martini," [Bond] said. "One. In a deep champagne goblet."
"Oui, monsieur."
"Just a moment. Three measures of Gordon's, one of vodka, half a measure of Kina Lillet. Shake it very well until it's ice-cold, then add a large thin slice of lemon peel. Got it?"
"Certainly, monsieur." The barman seemed pleased with the idea.

BUT, there's a few pointers here.

1. The modern cocktail glass is larger now, so no need for a champagne goblet.
  2. Gordon's now is 80-proof when it once was 94 (when the book came out); so try the 94-proof Tanqueray.
  3. Vodka was also stronger. Try Stolichnaya Blue Label 100-proof.
  4. Kina Lillet ye can no longer attain; butit canbe sustituted with Lillet Blanc (or if ye can't get some; then Dry Vermouth) and apinch of quinine powder, or, in lack of, a dash of Angostura Bitters.

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
Martin Miller is good but Nothing beats Hendricks gin that I've tried.
And yes Gin is traditional for the Martini
And if using Gin screw James bonds Never Ever Shake it!
Just my 2 cents.
And if you guys like a nice book for the home bartender here is my recommendation.
The Bartender's Black Book Edt.#8 Stephen Kittredge Cunningham(Master Mixologist). It is small enough to store and is loaded with everything you need to know about drinks and bartending at house parties.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks much, guys ....
Moro, I am indebted for your research, it'll be a "go" for sure, once I find the parts ...
Steelman - We must be related; my system is exactly the same, but w/o the cheese ... I have queen olives stuffed with garlic and slivered almonds ...
Joliet: I have seen the Hendricks often and am getting more interested now ... It's going on the sacred acquisition list ...
Also, I believe the James Bond "shaken" thing had something to do with an attempt to poison him 'way back when .... (?) I'd NEVER do that to my gin ....
Thanks everybody. The experiment continues .....

Moro

BoM Decembre '08
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I haven't enjoyed the garlic-stuffed olives...I love garlic, and I love olives; but something about that combination isn't me cup o' tea. Ofcourse if I roasted the garlic and stuffed that purée in a BLACK olive...maybe even a green. I'll try this tomorrow!

smokemifugotem

BoM July '10
Rating - 100%
190   0   1
I also do like a good martini from time to time, but my current vice it a vodka Gimlet. Get it with Grey Goose and Roses lime...like a martini...but it has that nice kick of sweet lime to bring down the bite of the vodka. Just my .02...

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moro, I wasnt sure about the garlic olives either, but one day I decided to give 'em a shot, and dropped three biggies into my martini (after washing them off, of course). Woofed the first one down about halfway through the drink, and big surprise, not as bad as I imagined. Sort of grew on me ... now I have to figure out where my wife found 'em 'cause I want more. If I cant find replacements, it'll probably be the Steelman bleu cheese route to experiment, though I dont usually like to contaminate the content with suspended flotsam. Sounds like an adventure, though. BCNU ....

Moro

BoM Decembre '08
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Moro, I wasnt sure about the garlic olives either, but one day I decided to give 'em a shot, and dropped three biggies into my martini (after washing them off, of course). Woofed the first one down about halfway through the drink, and big surprise, not as bad as I imagined. Sort of grew on me ... now I have to figure out where my wife found 'em 'cause I want more. If I cant find replacements, it'll probably be the Steelman bleu cheese route to experiment, though I dont usually like to contaminate the content with suspended flotsam. Sounds like an adventure, though. BCNU ....
No, the thing is I have tried them. There's just something missing there for me.