What's new

McClelland Dieing off??

c.ortiz108

The fly in the ointment.
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
My understanding is that it's not that there's no good leaf out there, but that the specific Red VA they need to make their specific blends is no longer available. They could use other Red VA (not necessarily worse), but it wouldn't be the same blends and customers would be disappointed. And they used those VAs in almost all their blends, so not much point in carrying on.

Rating - 100%
61   0   0
The good leaf is still out there. The machine harvesters mix it up with the not so good leaf because it is all harvested at once. Used to be hand picked and sorted when the leaves were at their peak, similar to tobacco harvested for cigars. This is just one of many changes I've read about that have happened in the last decade or two.

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Are the McClelland Orientals in the green tins worth picking up? Never tried orientals and every shop I've been to has a bunch of those on the shelf still. Everything else is gone so it makes me wonder.

c.ortiz108

The fly in the ointment.
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Are the McClelland Orientals in the green tins worth picking up? Never tried orientals and every shop I've been to has a bunch of those on the shelf still. Everything else is gone so it makes me wonder.
I picked up the whole set from JR at the last minute but have never tried them. Along with the brown labels, they're McC's oldest blends. They get fairly mixed reviews, but I figure they're worth trying. Pipestud says they age well in his reviews, and since they're older unpopular blends it's supposedly easy to find aged tins at B&Ms. The ones I got at JR were 2013-17.

What are the prices you're seeing like?

Wish I'd snagged some more Bombay Court! :arghh:

OleVaSmoker

Leafman
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Speaking of b&m's,
My local b&m informed me in a phone call I made they have pulled all their blends made by mclellands and they will be posted on eBay over the next few months until sold out.
This is why I avoid that wretched place like the plague
Karma. She's real.
Saved me a 35 minute drive either way.

Rating - 100%
101   0   0
Speaking of b&m's,
My local b&m informed me in a phone call I made they have pulled all their blends made by mclellands and they will be posted on eBay over the next few months until sold out.
This is why I avoid that wretched place like the plague
Karma. She's real.
Saved me a 35 minute drive either way.
Cant blame them for wanting to make a little profit

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Not especially, the ones you want if you like orientals are the “grand orientals” like drama reserve, Classic Samsun, yenidje supreme in the 50g cans

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Hmmmm is there a second wave?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Maybe they have a small supply left and figured it would be a way to get a little bit of traffic to the shop too??

Last I read, smokingpipes was the last to get their shipments. But, that info could be all wrong....

Sent from my cellular device via crapatalk

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I just spoke to someone at Outlaw Cigar in KC home of McClelland also. They are friendly with the folks at McClelland of course and tried to buy the remaining stock but they confirmed it all went to smokingpipes. So anything now is going to be stuff that was held back. I know a lot of shops doing that with cigars. Maybe some did that when they heard rumors of McClelland. I don't think we will see a big dump coming again though. This decision was a long time coming according to the KC Pipe Club guys I've talked with and the staff at Outlaw. They confirmed it is officially all gone and done.

Last edited:

sonarman

Hey Skimmer!
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
He claimed to not have anymore. Said getting more in next week apparently from McClelland.

I regret buying now. Was going to get 8oz but after he said 6$ an oz I went down to 4. Gouging for sure.
Who the heck are they getting it from?

bostoneo

The Chosen One
Rating - 100%
400   0   0
I regret buying now. Was going to get 8oz but after he said 6$ an oz I went down to 4. Gouging for sure.
Who the heck are they getting it from?
I asked him if he was holding back inventory but he said no they’re getting more and from McClelland lol.

BigSkySmoke

Lanceros, Cowgirls and Burritos
Rating - 100%
82   0   0
I saw a tin go for $130+ on ebay today so someone really likes it. @Hiram-2011 you know anything about that?

Aaron you still in Columbia Falls? I have some Balkan Blue, I can send you a taste.
Jeez Dan....I'm floored by just the sample of Balkan Blue. Let alone the tin of Sobranie. Thanks brother! Already loaded up a bowl for after lunch.
20180319_143754.jpg