What's new

Meerschaum March Madness

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Spring strong sweet tall green grass grow...
So school a noob. Is a 30 dollar Meer going to be worthwhile? Should I drop 3 times that and have am excellent pipe? Are there grades of meerschaum or what?
I'd like to know more myself.
I'll do some searching and post links if this has already been addressed on BOTL. Otherwise, if anyone else has experience you'd like to share, please enlighten us!

Rating - 100%
84   0   0
I will sponsor best color from start to finish of the month
As far as quality meers- look for block meerschaum and a push-pull tenon. The screw-in tenon are very prone to issues and breakage. The best quality meerschaum is Baki, IMP and Altinok; CAO has made some good meers in the past and SMS is quality as well. Meers do ghost unlike most will tell you they don't. Do not allow your meer to build cake. After each smoke take a paper towel and push it in and really clean out the bowl. They seem to smoke better without cake.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
I read about aros coloring better as well. Ive heatd if your going for color to make sure your hands are clean if you touch the bowl while smoking or hold the stem so you dont remove the wax coating. An I've heard it doesn't matter.