What's new

Mojo

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm betting you don't need high price rum and I guarantee real vanilla extract work as well in mojo.
I think you're right. Having just purchased some Pyrat rum for Mojo, I'm becoming more reluctant to pour it into the fuzz bowl of rotten pineapple and instead pour it in my belly. This stuff tastes really good. I hope there's some left by next week to put in the mojo.

Dominican56

CRA #99997657
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I think you're right. Having just purchased some Pyrat rum for Mojo, I'm becoming more reluctant to pour it into the fuzz bowl of rotten pineapple and instead pour it in my belly. This stuff tastes really good. I hope there's some left by next week to put in the mojo.
There should be little to no residual flavor from the rum I'm thinking. Were it me I'd drink it and not waste it in mojo.

Hopduro

PhDStogies
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
You're probably right, but a little bit goes a long way so I don't mind spending a little extra for higher quality with the hopes of yielding superior results.
Counter argument... if there are "off-flavors" in your rum, which clearly is the case in cheap rum, those will end up in/on your cigar. Yeah, sure, some of them are volatile... but why risk putting crap into your cigar?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Dominican56

CRA #99997657
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
What's the latest on mojo testing front?

I read a mojo recipe in another thread written by Gdaddy where is is using licorice, citric acid, glycrin and rum. I'm curious to know if anyone else tried it?
Seems like a lot of ingredients for mojo, and would be worth it if it works well.
Gdaddy, how did that concoction work out?

If rum, citric acid and vanilla are all that's required I've got the juice. :) I'll have to get some polyglycol. ( polypropylene glycol? )
How much Propylene Glycol should be used with this tincture?
I've got some Nic ligero what needs some smoooothing before it's usable. :)

P.S.
I make my own vanilla extract and that's all you're doing when chopping up bean into the booze and letting it marinate a while.
It takes at least 6 months to get a decently flavored extract. I let the bean in mine marinate at least a year to get decent extract.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
What's the latest on mojo testing front?

I read a mojo recipe in another thread written by Gdaddy where is is using licorice, citric acid, glycrin and rum. I'm curious to know if anyone else tried it?
Seems like a lot of ingredients for mojo, and would be worth it if it works well.
Gdaddy, how did that concoction work out?

If rum, citric acid and vanilla are all that's required I've got the juice. :) I'll have to get some polyglycol. ( polypropylene glycol? )
How much Propylene Glycol should be used with this tincture?
I've got some Nic ligero what needs some smoooothing before it's usable. :)

P.S.
I make my own vanilla extract and that's all you're doing when chopping up bean into the booze and letting it marinate a while.
It takes at least 6 months to get a decently flavored extract. I let the bean in mine marinate at least a year to get decent extract.
I got in massive health trouble messing with pg, which is best vaped, not burned. If you screw with that shit please don't put it on any of the Circle of Leaf cigars. Thank you.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would seem the benefit of adding pineapple is the addition of citric acid (smoothing agent).
FWIW, when I brew beer, I use starsan to sanitize all the equipment. Starsan is basically citric acid. I suspect one of the things going on is the citric acid in the pineapple is killing any remaining bacteria and reducing the likelihood of a secondary fermentation of the tobacco.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Wow! Sorry that happened to you.
I won’t use it nor buy any.
How about glycerin?
I'm gonna say don't bother. The Cubans don't use it. Keep it simple and natural. Fermented pineapple juice and your rum that has been soaking vanilla bean. You want the pineapple juice to ferment because you don't want the sugars in there. Burning sugar isn't good. I use this mojo on pretty much all my ligero to smooth the rough edges and leave the rest of my leaf as is and have had great results.

Dominican56

CRA #99997657
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'm gonna say don't bother. The Cubans don't use it. Keep it simple and natural. Fermented pineapple juice and your rum that has been soaking vanilla bean. You want the pineapple juice to ferment because you don't want the sugars in there. Burning sugar isn't good. I use this mojo on pretty much all my ligero to smooth the rough edges and leave the rest of my leaf as is and have had great results.
Like in brewing, keep it simple and natural.
Really, all I want is to smooth out the nic ligero.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
You used fresh pineapple?
I chunked up a whole pineapple, as ripe as I could find local. Tossed in a container with a gallon of water, then placed the lid loosely over the top. Let that sit for a week or two to naturally ferment, then strain. You will add the juice along with a bit of your vanilla/rum to a spray bottle and are in business.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like in brewing, keep it simple and natural.
Really, all I want is to smooth out the nic ligero.
Brewinhooligan has it right. Sugar turns nasty when it's burned.

Mojo doesn't need to be on every leaf in the blend. If you want to tone down just the ligero then leave all the other leaf natural.

Pineapple is high in citric acid. Cigar leaf is generally higher ph. The higher alkalinity causes a harshness. The citric acid lowers the ph of the leaf and renders it smoother. It's the most important element in the mojo. You could replace the rum with Bourbon or many other liqueurs (watch the sugar level). A optional replacement for the vanilla is almond extract. I use the simple recipe he describes above and I like it very much.

Dominican56

CRA #99997657
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
My mojo working, or not

I’m not at all confident this is how mojo is made.

And white mold on the pineapple.

Will someone please give more detailed in instructions on how to make this stuff. Please.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put crushed pineapple chunks and pineapple juice mixed in 25% water and let it sit in a closed jar. It developed white foamy mold on top.. After 10 days it had a full 1/2" layer of white foam that looked like whipped cream laying on the top. At 2 weeks the foam layer was lifted off in one piece and thrown out. The solution was strained.

Then, added Pyratt rum and some vanilla extract. The rum (alcohol) will act as a preservative. Keep unused solution in the refrigerator.

Mist the leaf. Don't soak or saturate. I also don't use it on all the leaf in the blend. My preference. Others probably work it differently.

To each their own... this is where you can really experiment with different blends.