What's new

Monster Thoughts

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
After a small amount of negative feedback and customers asking for more boxes that I don't have, I had some thoughts and ideas about the Monster program. I would love feedback on what I think might be the only fair way.

Next year all the Coffin Shaped numbered special boxes of 13 will be reduced back to 666 boxes and distributed by Gloucester Street since they are the birthplace of the series. They will set a box limit per customer, first come first serve, phone orders, walk ins, etc. These will go on sale on October 13th.

I will make an additonal 31000 cigars packed in plain boxes of 10 that will sell to all and any regular loyal current Tatuaje stores. They can order whatever they want for their customers and the product will be delivered after November 1st to the retailers. The cigars will be the exact same shape, flavor and price but with a generic Tatuaje Band and maybe a secondary band saying the initials of the actor who played the current years Monster. This would be considered the Monster out of Costume.

This is the only way I think might work to give everyone a chance to buy and smoke the cigars but the collectors can choose to buy them early for the funky numbered box.

Love any comments on this.

Pete

Web

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Actually, I like the system you have now. Was I frustated that I wasn't able to get on the list? Yes, but guess what, that's part of the allure of the series. I got on the list last year. If you could walk into your local B&M and purchase, it (in my opinion) would take some of the attraction away. It's like cubans cigars in general, part of the desire is because they are hard to get in the first place. (not trying to debate who has the best cigar here). You're never going to satisfy everyone no matter what. Obviously what you do works because it's successful, keep following your gut and don't worry about the naysayers, because they will always be negative. I think it's great, gives us something to look forward to each October!

Rating - 100%
104   0   0
I personally don't like that idea at all. I'm a collector AND a smoker. Your smokes are top notch Pete, as anyone will attest, but your marketing and product displays are incredible. I'd hate to lose that aspect of it, just to try to please a few.

I think once the dust settles, there will be more than enough of these to go around for folks.

Drac

www.smokesignals.biz
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I am going to catch heat since I got picked this year but here I go;
I think the system you have works just fine bro. You doubled the availabilty of the Monster this year and that is tremendous. It speaks volumes about who you are bro that you are seeking feedback and ideas from all of us. You will never please everyone and if feedback is even 10% negative you have done great. It is your company and the choices you have made thus far have put your cigars in alot of hands, what more can people ask except that you continue to make the exceptional products you make. That is my two cents as a Tatuaje smoker. As a retailer, I did not get chosen for Frank but did not throw a fit or even feel slighted. Luck of the draw. I was just glad they were out there and creating further buzz for your brand which only helps me sell more of them. Anyhow, maybe I am biased for many reasons, mostly because I consider you a friend and I tend to be protective of my Boys! The Haters can file a formal compaint with my big tattooed ass.

Rating - 100%
38   0   0
Pete, I do like the idea, however, I feel that you are raking away from the mystique of this hoopla by giving all 666 boxes to one store, (not to piss on them). I like the raffle idea and 13 stores getting the monster series, it's like that movie "A Christmas Story" when that kid waits 24 days to get his "red ryder" bb-gun. Were waiting to see if "our" b&m is going to have it. If not we go hunting till we find them! I think you should keep the original idea, a raffle, for those who are not lucky-unlucky enough to get the cigars, myself included, it's the unluck of the draw! I don't mean to ve a jerk, I just like the original concept. Pete your a marketing genius and I have a feeling you know that, keep doing what your doing, and if a few people get hurt along the way, it happens. You can't keep everyone happy bro. Take care Pete, I hope all is well.

Bob

smokemifugotem

BoM July '10
Rating - 100%
190   0   1
I think it is a good call Pete...some of the shanangans that are being pulled by the smaller shops are enough to drive anyone batty. If one shop has them just like the SW maddy, T110, PC...etc....will really help reduce the headaches. Just my $.02 though! Nick

Daviso27

Never been BoM
Rating - 100%
107   0   0
Pete, you cant please everyone... I think for a quality LE cigar in an inovative box, you prices are pretty cheap... Since almost everyone on the boards and elsewhere are able to afford them, they will not be happy until the box(es) they were waiting for arrive... You dont see thes many people anticipating the yearly AF super Opus 12 stick release. I think your idea for next year's Monster will work... Keep doing what you are doing and let the critics do what they do best.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Pete, sounds like a good idea. I don't see the addition of the boxes of 10 with the same blend affecting the demand for the coffin shapped number boxes. It may have the opposite effect of increasing the demand the following year as more people will have exposure to the cigars.

strife

Watcher of the Sky
Rating - 100%
107   0   1
Maybe I'm being a dick but why not do both? Keep the same distribution amount and method you have now for the collectors and release the undressed in packs of 10 for the smokers. I mean honestly I have no need for the packaging, it's the cigars that covet.

Drac

www.smokesignals.biz
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure there is a magic number of boxes that would please everyone. Hell if each of us 13 got 200 boxes each we could have blown them out the first day. I feel its impossible to keep people happy and still make a Limited Edition.

Soundwave13

BoM Feb 2010
Rating - 100%
143   0   0
I like a combo of both ideas: still pick the top 13 & give them each 50? boxes ea of the coffin # box. Then have a the ten count boxes to give to everyone else. I like the collecting factor & smoking them!

Moro

BoM Decembre '08
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I agree with what's being said of it not being a "must-do", for, as it's been said, ye've spoiled yer customers this year. Double the production of Monsters, AND release last year's Monster out of costume; not to mention more retailers so it was available at more places and also the golden tickets. That said, I will not turn me back to more cigars if it so happens. People would get both a chance to buy their 10ct. boxes if they wanted a cigar and what is the coffin would still be a highly coveted collectors item giving the best of both worlds, really. Now...a question here would be if the "out of costume" would remain a different wrapper (mostly curiosity, naught more).

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
I thought about 1300 Coffins. 13 retailers 100 boxes but I think it will be hard to regulate. Some people will call every store and get multiple boxes and we will start seeing them on EBAY like we did the Franks last year.

Drac

www.smokesignals.biz
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought about 1300 Coffins. 13 retailers 100 boxes but I think it will be hard to regulate. Some people will call every store and get multiple boxes and we will start seeing them on EBAY like we did the Franks last year.
Is that EBAY issue really avoidable at any level considering there was only 666 boxes of Frank and it happened?

Moro

BoM Decembre '08
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I'm not too knowledgeable on the subject, but for this thing why not make a website that can be accessed by the retailers where, when a customer places an order, his name, phone number and address go up (the three things are already required anyway), and thus avoid selling more than 1 to him/her. I know some might use secondary phones addresses and fake names, but they'd be less.

strife

Watcher of the Sky
Rating - 100%
107   0   1
Is that EBAY issue really avoidable at any level considering there was only 666 boxes of Frank and it happened?
Exactly, it's the nature of the beast that is a "Limited Edition". Speculators looking to profit of of collectors. So long as someone is willing to pay an exorbitant price nothing will change it.

Moro

BoM Decembre '08
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Last year the things went quite smoother...but as Pete grew, many found out about the Franks and thus became a willing buyer.