What's new

Monster Thoughts

Electric Sheep

Dsicle - BoM Dec 06
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
Pete, I like the way you're thinking....but I do got one piece of advice, brotha:

Give it some time (a month or two at least) after the dust settles to make any sort of decision like this. Rarely is is smart to make brash, rash decisions in the heat of the moment.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I actually like the current system. I live about 20 minutes away from the store in Ridgewood NJ. I've never shopped there, but seeing it on the list of the unlucky 13 got me over there the next day.

What a great selection of Tatuaje cigars they have, the most I have ever seen. The employees were great, and their lounge looks like a great place to hang on a cold rotten day.

I was too late to get on their list, but they know the exitement over the Drac has netted them customers.

Volusianator

BoM Nov '07 & Jan '09
Rating - 93.8%
86   4   1
The Frank is a very good cigar, yet I found myself buying them for the collectability of it all. Why, I'm not sure, it's not like I'm ever gonna e-bay them, or try to sell them at a profit because I have them years down the road, but for some reason, I just like to get my hands on some HTF's once in a while, kind of like the Opus Love Story.

I still have 5 Franks in the humidor, I originally got seven, I smoked two, enjoyed them very much but have a hard time snipping and lighting the rest as I know I won't be able to replace them.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that if you run next years program as you said in your original post, I'll still try to get my hands on the coffined version, but the plain band with initials won't be as appealing as it won't have that collectible side to it. If it's a good cigar, I'd still buy them, so maybe I'm the kettle calling the pot black. Shit, I don't even know what I'm trying to say so I'd imagine nobody will understand what I just wrote anyway! :dunno:

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Pete, I like the way you're thinking....but I do got one piece of advice, brotha:

Give it some time (a month or two at least) after the dust settles to make any sort of decision like this. Rarely is is smart to make brash, rash decisions in the heat of the moment.
I second that. The best thing you can do is just wait a while.

Rating - 100%
58   0   0
I mean honestly I have no need for the packaging, it's the cigars that covet.

Pete, I'm relatively new to your cigars, but the few that I've had the pleasure of smoking have been top shelf stuff, bro. I agree with Strife here. It's the cigars that I want.

You're going to run into issues with guys calling multiple stores and getting on multiple lists due to the LE nature of the coffin shaped boxes. You'll also get some a$$hats who will do this to put them on ebay and profit from your hard work and marketing. Nothing you can do about that unfortunately.

If you should ever come north of the 49th, and are around Edmonton, I hope to meet ya bro.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Leave it the way it is. Just a better and more organized ordering system should go in place for the retailers. Maybe an online pre order system, then once all the orders are done via online, you send that many boxes to the retailers, then the retailers just get their order list and send out to their customers.

Soundwave13

BoM Feb 2010
Rating - 100%
143   0   0
I agree with Sheep...

I think that with 1300 coffins plus 'out of costume' 10-count boxes on the market, it will alow both the collectors & smokers enough to aquire while maintaining some 'hype'.

You'll never completely avoid ebayers, except to tell your suppliers to limit box purchases to two boxes ea. Finding a balance is key, but things are always changing too.

Another approach is to allot a few to us... hint, hint... Haha!

Whatever you decide - you'll never please all the people all the time, so just keep the quality good & you'll never have to worry about loosing your fan base.

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0

What he said, all though selfishly I like the idea of more available because I want them for myself(a mix of collecting and smoking)
The Frank is a very good cigar, yet I found myself buying them for the collectability of it all. Why, I'm not sure, it's not like I'm ever gonna e-bay them, or try to sell them at a profit because I have them years down the road, but for some reason, I just like to get my hands on some HTF's once in a while, kind of like the Opus Love Story.

I still have 5 Franks in the humidor, I originally got seven, I smoked two, enjoyed them very much but have a hard time snipping and lighting the rest as I know I won't be able to replace them.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that if you run next years program as you said in your original post, I'll still try to get my hands on the coffined version, but the plain band with initials won't be as appealing as it won't have that collectible side to it. If it's a good cigar, I'd still buy them, so maybe I'm the kettle calling the pot black. Shit, I don't even know what I'm trying to say so I'd imagine nobody will understand what I just wrote anyway! :dunno:
Wade, I understand perfectly what you are saying - I think :waving:

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Pete...I have the answer. BOTL store! 300 boxes right off the top for the BOTL:) 1 box max per screen name and then the last lots can be sold via raffle! Oh wouldn't life be good:)
I like that one a lot but to pick just one store to be a BOTL store would upset a bunch of people.....

Rating - 100%
58   0   0
And how many people would suddenly join BOTL just for the opportunity to purchase one of those 300 boxes. heh.

I like the way you're thinking about this Pete. It will all work out. I just hope that the one store where I put my name on a list doesn't have issue with shipping to Canada.

Kurtdesign1

The Thinker
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
This is a special release. Either people understand that or they don't. Look at the Opus when it started. People wanted them, they dealt with the fact that they couldn't get them and it allowed for the quality to stay at the uttmost it could possibly be. If we start pushing the "out of costume" varieties I think it may ultimately make more people happy in the short term but it will allow for the mystique & quality & desirability (maybe quality only to a point) to eventually make these just another line of Tatuaje cigars. Pete, the call is yours but let me be blunt in saying that it is for the best for your customers to have a difficult time getting these cigars.

We all will realize that sooner or later. Whether it's because the Monster Series becomes a line that is too watered down and practically has no benefits over that of a normal Tat or those of us who are upset about the situation will eventually simmer down & realize that this is not any different than any other great cigar that is coming out and therefore not your fault! (Hendy, for example)

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I think a couple others may have mentioned this...

The biggest thing I saw this year is that the retailers were overwhelmed and not sure how to distribute the sticks.

Some shops splitting them into 3'ers or 5'ers to make sure they could 'spread the wealth' as much as possible was not a bad idea. However you then faced the issue of these retailers having better odds of getting the tickets out of these boxes.

What I thought/think is lousy is the shops that are forcing you to buy other product to get the Drac or Boris. I know a few buddies who saved their cigar pennies (myself included) in the hopes of getting a box of each.

It's a double-edged sword for you Pete, you're not going to make everyone happy here. But I think the biggest issue this year was the way things were handled by some retailers, hopefully they will be better prepared next year... and hopefully a couple that are trying to take advantage of us poor little consumers will get a crack on the knuckles for it. :D

jwyatt55

Not the mad fladder!
Rating - 100%
110   0   0
I think this years release is going well. Yes there are waiting lists 200 plus long, and I have not been able to find out for sure whether I will be able to get my hands on a few of Drac or Boris but I am sure that once the retailers start to sell them that things will finally fall in place. It is frustrating right now just because I do not have a concrete YES on whether or not I will get my hands on any. Pete I don't think you should change much, maybe just a little tweaking, but I personally enjoy the suspense and the hunt! You really have created a monster...its alive!!!

diesel

Banned
Rating - 91.9%
78   5   1
What I thought/think is lousy is the shops that are forcing you to buy other product to get the Drac or Boris. I know a few buddies who saved their cigar pennies (myself included) in the hopes of getting a box of each.
I second the lameness of this. When I heard these attempts, I was kinda surprised. I am not a fan of being pushed into things.

Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Pete I think it's a good idea at least the part w/o the fancy coffin. BUT why change the band? As I probably won't be getting to Gloucester anytime soon I don't mind the NO fancy coffin at all. I think the band should stay the same because the "collectors" will probably not touch the cigars in the coffin. Your idea "monster out of costume" is great but have the costume be the coffin. Just my humble opinion as I do like the bands with the funky coloration. The blends of the monster series have been great so far and I think this idea is wonderful especially having a lot more for folks that smoke your cigars for what they are and that's a great cigar, period! The band is part of the nostolgia have the "tat nation" collect all the boxes they want I just want the cigar with the sweet monster band to smoke and completely enjoy! Thanks for the great cigars!

n.olson

Veteran Eccentric
Rating - 100%
67   0   0
pete, thanks first and foremost for asking your humble tatuaje minions!

second, i think you more than made enough compromises when you decided to release the boris, in 10 count boxes. i'm not certain if you planned to match that next year with the dracs, but i think it was a good system to keep up the excitement and have a second crack at a rare cigar that many loved.

i have always appriciated your fantastic marketing sense, and your love of the cigars you create and smoke, and i get the need to make all happy, and i think some of us really got a bit crazy, our faults not yours, certainly.

as e-sheep said, i know the business moves fast, but i'd sit on it. i personally think you made a good decision increasing the box count, and i think by the time november 10th comes, there won't be a thenth of the scowls or grumbles you may be hearing now.

as for the single versus multiple shops, i was of your mind in the past, that the effort was to keep the numbers low to all so that you could ensure all had a fair shot. i always thought that was really good business sense and a true class act. i know we would all end up getting them in a different box, and things like that, but if you look at how dan handled his windfall, and how others are making your plan happen and adding their own twists on the halloween idea, and i think that's part of the fun.

a million and one plusses and minuses. i think you should trust in your business sense, and remember most tat fans won't be happy until you direct ship to our homes.

thanks again for asking pete, and i look forward to smoking your latest creation, weather it be in a coffin box or not!

strife

Watcher of the Sky
Rating - 100%
107   0   1
Why buy it if you ain't gonna smoke it? That's like dating Megan Fox, then leaving her dressed at home so you can go sleep with Oprah. WTF!

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
I've been trying to get this years Monsters like a spoiled 2 year old. I have seen the way Ive been acting even though others have been pointing it out as well. Only thing I can think of its the LE part of it is just having its way with me.(and that box is fricken sexy!) My only complaint this year has always been trying to figure out a way to get some of these in every botl ers hands that have supported you hard core.
Would it be impossible for you to regulate all the sales thru a id purchase? EX: I'm sorry Justin we have you purchising a box of Dracs at XYZ store in IL 2 days ago
Or is it too much work or even possible for your sales office to run a lotto from your shop. Half the allotment gets lotto(666) all other go to stores let them do what they want. That way at least 666 are going to 666 botl and only 1 household name and addy per entry. Also once a person has 1 a lotto they can take it to the local Tatuaje B&M and purchase it. The retailer still wins as well even with the lotto. They still get to make a sale. And maybe even a new customer!
I dont know if this is even probable? Maybe I don't know. Everyday I have ever been on botl I have always wanted to look out for "the good guys".(all of us) I just keep thinking there has to be a way to work with your retailers to get these things in the hands that deserve them.
Having said this I finally realize Oct 31st is 2 weeks away and I'm going to wait to make anymore judgement. Who knows I may still end up with a box and look like the biggest ass. Hopefully we can all get some of these smokes!:thumbsup:
Thanks for listening.
Justin

Rating - 100%
50   0   0
Pete, I say keep doing what you planned for the monster series. Trying to acquire these HTF cigars is half the fun. I was unable to pick up any Franks last year but with the help and generousity of the brothers I picked up 7 of them. As many of the brothers have already said, we still don't know how this will play out. I was shut down on the 13th trying to get a box but I sure as hell am going to visit my local B&Ms next week to get in line for a chance. Keep up the good work and don't let all the stress get to you. :thumbsup: