What's new

My Father Limited

whodeeni

the Cigar "Gangsta" ;0(
Rating - 96.4%
149   4   2
I wasn't lucky enough to get one of these at the show but I did luck up and run into Jose Ortega (and the entire Pepin entourage) at a daiquiri bar in NOLA. Jose sat with us for about 15 minutes and I asked him about this cigar.
Since when did you start speaking spanish Timmy?

BrooksW

BoM June '09
Rating - 100%
131   0   0
I think a lot of people are not going to be impressed by this stick, if the two I smoked for my review are any indication...

Here is a hint...

~brooks

Last edited:

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
Brooks, how do you find those stems? I've seen you pull out at least 3 stems from cigars and wonder if you can feel something hard, if you can literally see the top of the stem, if the cigar has a really tight draw and you just dig in to find it, or what?

I'm just wondering so I know what to look for if I'm having issues with cigars.

BrooksW

BoM June '09
Rating - 100%
131   0   0
Brooks, how do you find those stems? I've seen you pull out at least 3 stems from cigars and wonder if you can feel something hard, if you can literally see the top of the stem, if the cigar has a really tight draw and you just dig in to find it, or what?

I'm just wondering so I know what to look for if I'm having issues with cigars.
In my experience, there are stems in almost all cigars (that I have smoked anyway)...they are part of a cigar leaf after all, it is just that some have more (and bigger ones) than others...

In this particular instance, this stem was quite large in size (probably 5% or so of the entire cigar) and when from the top to the bottom...

If it is large enough, you can see the stem at the top of the cigar, usually they are whitish color, and if you run your finger along the top after you cut it, it feels very obvious there is a stick in there...I then pull it out with a pair of tweezers...Most stems are fairly small, but every once in a while, I get a big one...

There are also different opinions about whether you should remove a found stem (assuming that an overly tight draw was the reason you found it in the first place)...Some people say that you should leave the stem in the cigar (since taking one out that is so large is bound to change the draw, and not usually for the better)...but I am more of the mind that more often then not, the stem gives a more bitter flavor to the cigar as it burns, and so it is almost always better to remove it...

Also, I am a bit obsessive (ahem) and once I feel a stem, I have to take it out...

Hope that helps!

~brooks

Danilo

"The Target"
Rating - 100%
116   0   0
I keep reading everywhere that he is not growing Pelo De Oro anymore, but I have heard otherwise from sources more reliable than the internet...
I hope he does keep growing it, because that stuff smelled like pure magic!!! And if it smells that good, it must taste that good!!

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
Still a easy one for me. Thanks for the review Brooks. Not only would I guess these are going to age like some of his other stuff. I love the man too much to not get a box. The fact that he ate last at his casa on our last day when everyone else was finished meant everything to me. These just belong in my humi for more of a collectors/memory standpoint I guess. And the fact that he may never roll a production cigar again let alone with his son.

Soundwave13

BoM Feb 2010
Rating - 100%
143   0   0
Still a easy one for me. Thanks for the review Brooks. Not only would I guess these are going to age like some of his other stuff. I love the man too much to not get a box. The fact that he ate last at his casa on our last day when everyone else was finished meant everything to me. These just belong in my humi for more of a collectors/memory standpoint I guess. And the fact that he may never roll a production cigar again let alone with his son.
x2 Well said.

BrooksW

BoM June '09
Rating - 100%
131   0   0
Dude, I am with you on that...these def have value beyond the physical taste etc, which is why I bought a few to keep...

My review only goes into the history, physical info and taste of the cigar (according to me)...I try to keep personal feelings out of my reviews as much as possible, as these can't be easily quantified ;)

-brooks