What's new

My fingers hurt

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Would it be out of line to ask where and how you find all these old pipes? If I’m out of line, my apologies. I love to tinker with stuff and think it would be fun to learn how to do what you do here. Thanks.

Jody

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Would it be out of line to ask where and how you find all these old pipes? If I’m out of line, my apologies. I love to tinker with stuff and think it would be fun to learn how to do what you do here. Thanks.

Jody
Lots of hunting and patience. Last year wasn't great for finding stuff but it also wasn't bad. I just had an amazing year prior. eBay, antique shops, estate sales, and word of mouth. eBay has gone crazy. Many people trying to restore and many lots get bid up way beyond value. It's hit and miss. My deals now usually are high end and I spend more than I normally like to but the pipes are high end. If someone wants something bad enough I guess it's worth what they will pay. I often see lots of cheap and broken Dr Grabow and Kaywoodie pipes going into the hundreds which is ridiculous. Estate sales and antique shops are dependent on where you live or are willing to traveling to. I have never had luck at garage sales. Maybe someday. I spend hours everyday hunting for pipes and researching.

Rating - 100%
56   0   0

Jody
If going ebay route, I've always read it's best (for anything) to sort by ending soonest vs price; best chance of realistically swooping in on a deal.

Sent from the Barbarino Batphone

Rating - 100%
29   0   0

Jody
I've heard some people check auction websites and also auction houses too to purchase the pipes. As in restoration, I think there's a (sticky) thread under the pipes section. It's been a while since I've even been on the computer to check the forum.