What's new

My [still on going] Journey through the sortaNPE

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
This is a topic that's talked about A LOT, in a lot of different arenas. A quick Google will bring up countless forum discussions on it. For the sake of the BOTL, I figured I would share my experience so far in hopes of passing on any tiny bit of wisdom.

First, what is an NPE?
"NPE" stands for "Non-Permissive Environment." That clears things up not at all. What THAT means is an environment where carrying a weapon gets you in serious trouble. That could mean fired from your job. That could mean arrested. But that's the general gist. Basically, it's a place where, should you choose to carry, you're accepting that being found with a weapon is going to cost you dearly.
Why would you carry in an NPE?
Everybody has their own reasons. The most common is that people would rather risk losing their job than risk losing their life in a violent encounter.
Why does the title say "sortaNPE?"
The two environments I am going to cover are not actual NPEs - at least not in and of themselves...
I have held two jobs since graduating. Neither one has/had a policy against firearms. Last year I worked at a paving company, owned by a family member. There was no need to be discrete at the office. I could, literally, leave a rifle on my desk and nobody would care (I did it one day). My new job also has no policy against weapons on the premises.
BUT I CHOOSE TO TREAT THEM AS NPEs ANYWAY.
Why would I do that???
I could go on and on here. But, short version: it's FAR better for you that people not know you carry, for a plethora of reasons. Additionally, my last job required me to meet with customers, go to jobsites, etc. All stuff outside of the office. Some were actual NPEs. Some were simply situations where if people knew I was carrying, I would have a bad day (not get a sale, things of that sort).
Phase One: Mission Drives the Gear
The first thing you have to consider if you decide to carry in an NPE is your attire. At job #1, my dress code was slacks with a tucked in polo or dress shirt. Tucked in shirts are the tricky part because it means carrying on the belt is either not possible, or incredibly difficult. This left me with three options: ankle carry, off-body carry, or pocket carry.

I ruled out ankle carry because it is slow, cumbersome, and I don't like wearing pants that are wide around the ankles. Off-body carry was never really an option because I don't believe in it; it's stupid. Pocket carry was the only choice; it is easy and relatively fast. This also made gun selection easier on me. I knew I wanted a gun in a service caliber, with top priorities being concealment and deployment. J-frame. The j-frame is your best friend for pocket carry. Small autos, depending on the sample, may be easier to shoot and reload. But, they simply can't compete with J-frames for the ability to disappear in a pocket, and ditto for drawing from a pocket. I also wanted a gun that could theoretically be fired from inside the pocket.

My only real choices were S&W and Ruger's LCR. I'm not a big fan of S&W these days, but I hate Ruger. Their LCR has a better trigger out of the box, but it is bigger and I would argue less durable. I landed on the S&W 442 (no lock). The 442 and 642 are pretty much the gold standard of j-frames, and the 442 has a better finish. I added an Apex trigger kit and Crimon Trace LG-105 to make it more shootable. (I selected the 105s because they retain the compact size. More importantly, they're hard plastic instead of rubber. Rubber grabs the inside of your pocket and makes for a more difficult draw). For anybody considering pocket carry, my first and second recommendation is the S&W 442.

A pocket holster allows you to safely carry it, and also further breaks up the lines of the gun. This has served me incredibly well. I will never sell this gun because it's the "I don't have a reason to NOT carry anywhere gun" and it also excels as a BUG.
Phase Two: Today, and why my perfect setup is no longer perfect.
My new job is a similar dress code (shirt and tie), so this setup should continue its reign as King, yes?

No.

I now work in an office from 9-5 with the same people every day. People you see every single day start noticing the slightest details over time. Additionally, I'm not related to any of these people (advantage of family business is now gone). Additionally, I am one of VERY few men here and I am the youngest by quite a lot; I'm surrounded by moms. I am now the center of attention at this office. The ladies I work with notice EVERY. LITTLE. DETAIL. It is actually impressive how attentive they are. I am more than confident that the, "Hey, what's always in your pocket that you never take out?" conversation is coming soon. Time to adapt.

Where to from here?
After plenty of research, like I love to do, I have settled on the SmartCarry holster. This style of holster puts the gun in, basically, the least noticeable spot on your body: your crotch. People are not likely to stare at your zipper. If they do, and happen to notice anything, they certainly won't ask - at least not on a male. I don't mean to be crass, but it's true. I've settled on SmartCarry over its competitors (Thunderwear, etc) because it seems best made and best suited. It is made of thicker, heavier material which makes it more difficult to accidentally do something stupid.

While my 442 would be just fine riding in the SmartCarry, it's an opportunity to "go up" a gun. I'm currently shopping for a small to mid-sized auto; there's extra room, and they are more shootable. I was initially shopping for something with a safety to prevent any chance of an ND. BUT, after some careful research, I realized that was more dangerous: safeties can be disengaged somewhat easily in soft holsters, and short travel of such triggers would be potential for extreme danger should that happen. I am now shopping for something with a decocker, so that a long, heavy trigger pull is preventing any accidents. I have been eyeballing the CZ P-07, for a lot of reasons. But, it offers the decocker and an external hammer which allows me to be cognizant of the gun's firing status.
I will update when I have made a final decision, and when I have some time with the new style of carry.

I hope there is at least a kernel of usefulness in this post for people considering "deep carry."

Last edited:

jasonsbeer

Never Settle
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Tagged to see how this goes for you. The trials and tribulations of changing attire. I feel your pain.

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
There's also people who have been in far more severe NPEs around here (i.e. not fired if discovered, but fired UPON).

@mdwest and I'm forgetting who our resident NARC is.
you can also read up on Craig Douglas. He's a brilliant trainer who spent many years as a Narc. He runs Total Protection Interactive forum, and posts regularly on pistol-forum. Hes easy to get a hold of.

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
Never had a gun, only shot one once but very informative stuff Alex.

Just curious (not because I'm opposed, but because I'm curious) why the need to always carry? If you don't mind answering on a public forum.

jasonsbeer

Never Settle
Rating - 100%
52   0   0

Just curious (not because I'm opposed, but because I'm curious) why the need to always carry? If you don't mind answering on a public forum.
I always tell my kids that I don't go looking for trouble, but trouble might come looking for me. Crime is frequently random and you never know when you're going to be in the middle of it, even if you are not the target. You could run into the gas station to pick up a hot dog and before you know it, the place is being held up. Better to have some insurance than none.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I always tell my kids that I don't go looking for trouble, but trouble might come looking for me. Crime is frequently random and you never know when you're going to be in the middle of it, even if you are not the target. You could run into the gas station to pick up a hot dog and before you know it, the place is being held up. Better to have some insurance than none.
Well said

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0

No problem. I'll do my best to keep this short, or perhaps write a new thread some day. If you care to know more case-specific info, I'm willing to share that in private.

Basically I carry for the same reason I drive a car with airbags, wear a seatbelt, have health insurance, and a fire extinguisher in my apartment. It is a tool. Compared to the others, which are already pretty unlikely to be used, it is statistically improbable I'll ever need it. But, should the day come where I meet a violent encounter, I would prefer to be equipped than curse under my breath at my misfortune.

To quote an anonymous author, "it's not the odds, it's the stakes."

I've also been in circumstances that the average civilian does not encounter which greatly increased my desire (perceived need) to carry which I'm not willing to share in public.

Hoshneer

Drew Estate NotRex
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
I had a job as a young adult working late night at Putt - Putt Golf and Games by myself. My boss had been robbed several times.

Once I turned 18 I decided to carry NPE at work because I knew my turn was coming. My turn did come one night and luckily all I had to do was make the individual aware that I had a firearm and that he came ill prepared.

I just made sure my shirt came open a little at the right moment and I could of swore within a half second I'd be drawing and firing but he chose to run thankfully. I know the old rule where you only pull a gun out to kill but he was younger and a teenager. I wanted to at least give him a chance. Either way it worked out and thankfully I wasn't on the floor with a gun to my head or he wasn't dead. It was the best of three scenarios. Carrying NPE can be a good choice.

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
To quote an anonymous author, "it's not the odds, it's the stakes."
+100000

Its been many, many, years ago... but.. back in my old "cop" days.. I routinely ran into people that I didnt necessarily recognize or know.. but.. they certainly recognized me and knew who/what I was... who would either just sit and give the stink eye... leaving me wondering "who is that jackass.. why is he trying to stare me down? and am I going to have to end up doing something about this before its over with?"... or would not as infrequently as you would imagine actually approach in a less than amiable way and make contact.. this happened on more than one occasion when I had family with me.. out at the mall.. enjoying dinner.. or whatever.. (working Fugitive Apprehension Unit, SWAT, Street Crimes/Vice, etc.. type assignments you arrest a lot of turds who you will forget tomorrow.. but will certainly remember you for a long time after "the event"...

Out with your kids at the mall... running into some meth cook or a coked up pimp.. that you just beat the hell out of 3 weeks prior during a raid (justifiably)... that wants to walk up and have a conversation with you in front of your 3 year old.. will make you think twice about leaving the house without having all the tools necessary to adequately defend yourself and the ones you love and care about...

Granted.. not everyone is a cop/former cop.. not all cops work vice/narcotics/swat/etc type assignments.. and make the same number of enemies.. or the same caliber of enemies that I routinely did "back in the day"...

But.. at the end of the day.. the only person on this planet you have the ability to control.. is you... every time you walk out your door, you enter into a world where there are potential threats to yourself and the people you love.. no matter how hard you try to avoid them.. you can stay out of "bad" neighborhoods.. refuse to go to drinking establishments.. move out to the suburbs and keep your kids in "good" schools, etc..etc...

and you still cant guarantee yourself that you wont get caught up in something like this:

http://www.cnn.com/2015/02/08/us/pennsylvania-mall-shooting/ (3 people shot in a mall in Pittsburgh last month)...

You can control yourself.. you can be situationally aware of your environment.. you can take reasonable precautions such as avoiding certain places, certain people, certain things, etc..

but you still have no guarantee..

I look at CCW as just another reasonable precaution..

Im not hyper vigilant.. I dont "worry" about what might happen anytime I venture out into the world.. etc.. I pretty much come and go as I please.. and do the exact same things I would have done whether I had a weapon on me or not... by carrying a weapon (among other things) I am simply taking one additional step to make sure that I have the ability to protect myself and those around me in the event that I end up in a situation unplanned for and/or unexpected.. (same reason I keep a multi-tool in my pocket most of the time.. its nice to have a screwdriver or a pair of pliers on hand when you unexpectedly need them)..

I CCW for the same reason I make sure the tires on my truck arent bald.. make sure the gas line in my house isnt leaking before I fire up the fireplace for the first time each winter.. and the same reason I keep a decent medical bag stocked up in my closet and a good first aid kit in my truck glove box..

Its just another precaution.. and assurance that I have the ability to avoid injury or harm to me or my family/friends from the hazards of life..

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
Brief, uninteresting update: I have a couple prototype holsters coming my way. I'll still order the SmartCarry (they have a 60 day guarantee so there's no reason not to).

Won't be buying a new gun anytime soon, as I think I can make some things currently in the stable work just as well - if not better.
More money for NFA goodies :)

Rating - 100%
53   0   0
I carried a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a holster very similar to the Smartcarry for years in some of the more firearms unfriendly environments. If you wear your pants a bit below the waist and you don't have a belly, they're quite comfortable. The safety features and pure stopping power of the 1911 just make me feel much more comfortable although I must admit, it is probably more of a mental thing than science.

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
My prototypes from Armiger Solutions arrived today. Sadly, I can only show you one of them for the time being. Pictured is the PPQ holster that I will mate with a Smart Carry for a potential option.

The other one seems quite a bit better in design. A little bummed that I may have to buy new pants for it to work (my clothing selection's fault, not the holster's) but I'm really excited to test this one. My initial impression is that it is the ideal holster for the type of NPE work I do.