What's new

NC vs CC

If the embargo was lifted, which cigars would make up the bulk of your reserve?

• Cuban

Votes: 97 39.6%
  • Non Cuban

Votes: 148 60.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Cigar Cowboy

BoY...in Hell!!!
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
If the embargo was lifted today, which cigars would make up the bulk of your reserve going forward?

Non-Cuban or Cuban

I ask this question due to the following poll results (as of August 10th, 2010):

Most of the Cigars I smoke consist (at least in part) of tobacco grown in this country...

Cuba - 15.28%
Nicaragua - 72.22%
Dominican Republic - 10.42%
Honduras - 1.39%
Other - 0%
USA 0.69%

Do BOTL really prefer Nicaraguan tobacco over Cuban or is this just because Cuban tobacco is banned in the U.S.?

Last edited:

bdc30

BoM May '11
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
I live in a country where there is no embargo and I'd say my stash is about 75-80% NC

I think the quality and variety of available NC stuff is improving every day, plus I like my stuff a bit stronger than most of the CC's I've had.

(though I still count the PSD4 as my top smoke)

bdc30

BoM May '11
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
Is the do in part to pricing or is it 100% preference?
ha sorry, I elaborated a bit above as well, but I'd say mainly due to preference - as well as availability for me.

I've accumulated most of my stuff through this forum so it stands to reason that most of it would be NC as well - but either way I think I prefer most of the premium NC stuff I've had over the CC's

LiLo

Fire me up a
Rating - 98.7%
103   1   1
I estimate i smoke 40% cubans and 60% Non cubans. I go i phases though. There are weeks where i don't touch a non cuban and all i smoke are cubans. There are also weeks where i won't smoke a cuban. But overall i smoke a tiny bit more NC's than cubans.

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
I woul d buy a bunch of the cuban stuff I love right away. While I voted Nic in the other poll, I would smoke Cuban stuff more if I could get it easily.

tubaman

3 Time BoM
Rating - 100%
173   0   0
NC's, because once the mass production machine goes into high gear cc's will be crap.
I do not see how this will change much. They can only produce but so much tobacco. My biggest fear is if they start mixing tobacco from other countries with Cuban leaf, then they will be crap. I smoke 99% Cuban cigars. Not because I am a cigar snob but because I think they are better. I do not enjoy most cigars made elsewhere, that is my personal preference. Like what you smoke, that is all that matters.

The BurgerMeister

the devil is a busy man.
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
as of right now, i have so little experience with Cuban cigars that i'd have to vote non-Cuban.

lifting the embargo would cause such a surge in demand that (i think) the prices for Cubans would go up drastically. then, there'd surely be a surge in the counterfeit market, and, as aforementioned, Cuba would probably start producing non-puro Cubans to try to keep up (which i don't think would be the end of the world... but in this scenario, the price for "puro Cubans" would definitely go way up).

i like my Camachos and Don Pepins and Man O' Wars just fine.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Cuba pretty much only makes puros right now, correct? I don't think they'll change that. For the most part, there won't be any cuban tobacco to be sold to other countries, but eventually it will be interesting to see what all the exiled blenders and rollers can do with cuban tobacco. The embargo being lifted would cause another cigar boom and the resolve of certain manufacturers to remain small would be tested.

I would probably smoke about the same as I do now. Mostly NC.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would buy a bunch of the cuban stuff I love right away. While I voted Nic in the other poll, I would smoke Cuban stuff more if I could get it easily.
Dave, pretty easy to get right now. When we getting together? Maybe tomorrow night at The Winery?

I do not see how this will change much. They can only produce but so much tobacco. My biggest fear is if they start mixing tobacco from other countries with Cuban leaf, then they will be crap. I smoke 99% Cuban cigars. Not because I am a cigar snob but because I think they are better. I do not enjoy most cigars made elsewhere, that is my personal preference. Like what you smoke, that is all that matters.
Kevin, I'm pretty much with you on this but I'm concerned about a large effort to increase production resulting in lesser quality like the boom in the late 90's. I'd see possible price increases in cuban cigars due to the larger market demand.
I quit smoking NCs in '02 because I like cuban cigars much better.