What's new

NC vs CC

If the embargo was lifted, which cigars would make up the bulk of your reserve?

• Cuban

Votes: 97 39.6%
  • Non Cuban

Votes: 148 60.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rating - 100%
62   0   0
I do not see how this will change much. They can only produce but so much tobacco. My biggest fear is if they start mixing tobacco from other countries with Cuban leaf, then they will be crap. I smoke 99% Cuban cigars. Not because I am a cigar snob but because I think they are better. I do not enjoy most cigars made elsewhere, that is my personal preference. Like what you smoke, that is all that matters.
...........trust me, they will empty the warehouses once the embargo is over. It will be like the 90's cigar craze. Quality will plummet and it will take some years before it will be back. It will be young overpriced tobacco with piss poor construction. Good point on mixing because they only have a finite supply and everyone will want a "Cuban" in their hand. It will be a mess....imho.

dpmrpa

Indiscriminate Bomber
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
NC easier to get and agree that mass production of cc the quality will go down.
Right now I don't think that any cc can beat a 1964 anniversary Padron or the 1926 for that matter.

Rating - 98%
61   1   1
I would continue to enjoy the NCs that I do today... I have been exposed to plenty of Cuban sticks in my travels and at home and while I have enjoyed those cigars too... they just aren't a craving for me like my Liga Privadas, Tats, or some others...

Now, with that being said, what I would be excited for would be some of my NC favorites using cuban wrappers, or binders, etc... would be interesting if the leaf became available and were used creatively by NC manufacturers.

Clint

Clint
Rating - 100%
206   0   1
IMHO quality control in Cuba would suffer due to the sudden demand...I'll stick with NC's if the embargo ever gets lifted.
Plus counterfiets would increase dramatically.

danthebugman

BoM Nov '10
Rating - 100%
124   0   0
I've had a few CC and while they were alright, I doubt I'll be any more tempted to buy them once there are legal to do so. Reason being? I just find NC to have a variety and quality that meet my needs, plus I'm sure the price point will make me cringe.

Dan

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
Dave, pretty easy to get right now. When we getting together? Maybe tomorrow night at The Winery?
I know I can get them, but the use of a credit card is my main issue. I am a cash and carry or Payfriend guy. I have a decent stash of Cuban stuff, and if I could send a money order to CI and grab a box of PSD4 I would, but alass I can not.

Let me see what can be done about the winery...

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
Right now I don't think that any cc can beat a 1964 anniversary Padron or the 1926 for that matter.
.....imho it's apples and oranges. Padron is a great smoke but doesn't have a cc profile. Now if Padron got a hold of some good Cuban leaf I'd be all over that!!:drool:

MichiganM

The One, The Only
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
I love cigars from all different countries. If the embargo was lifted tomorrow I'm quite sure we'd go through another cigar craze like in the 90's...but with a lot of people paying attention to the cubans that might be a great time to get some 64's and Opus at a great price/quality point until the craze dies down.

tubaman

3 Time BoM
Rating - 100%
173   0   0
...........trust me, they will empty the warehouses once the embargo is over. It will be like the 90's cigar craze. Quality will plummet and it will take some years before it will be back. It will be young overpriced tobacco with piss poor construction. Good point on mixing because they only have a finite supply and everyone will want a "Cuban" in their hand. It will be a mess....imho.
You may be right, it could happen, who knows. There could also be a number of rollers that go back to Cuba and quality go up. My point is we have no idea what will happen.

The other thing we need to remember is that while the US is certainly a large market, we are far from the only market there is out there. We tend to only think about the US market but there are more people than us to cater to.

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
I agree 100%, and have been saying this for years to all my friends of the "The embargo lifting is better than Jesus' return" opinion. I think that there will still be SOME quality stuff, but it will be released differently (new lines maybe, LEs, etc) and much more expensive.

You've gotta remember, the Cuban cigar industry is in the hands of the Castros, NOT in the hands of those who make the products. Even if they scream "you're ruining our cigars!" the Castros will just jail them and keep selling inferior product.

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
I would prob go with 70%CCs and 30%Ncs but It would be months before it was lifted. I have had this conversation with the guys at the shop. I'm would be taking a chunk of the next 3 years of cigar money and buying out the but right before. CC tobacco the last 2 years(08/09) has been great Rott with tons of potential for aging. I would be getting my favorites before I have to worry about production/cost issues. Right now though it's still 70/30 but Nc/CC.

Preacher4460

Preacher4460
Rating - 100%
0   0   1
I think I would be experimenting...looking for the new blends of cuban tobacco with Honduras for instance...power and flavor...mhmm.

Fourtotheflush

BoM Apr 12'
Rating - 100%
100   0   0
It would take me about a year before I ran through my cigars to get a majority of cuban. That is if lifting the ban doesn degrade the quality of cuban cigars.

CbusDave

CRA Member #198179
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Since I've only smoked one ISOM in my life and am generally unfamiliar with what's good and what's not, I would probably stick to NCs (Nicas) for the bulk of my smoking.