What's new

NC vs CC

If the embargo was lifted, which cigars would make up the bulk of your reserve?

• Cuban

Votes: 97 39.6%
  • Non Cuban

Votes: 148 60.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
I can get all the Habanos I want regardless of the ban and don't care that it's illegal here, and I smoke 98% Nicaraguan cigars. Save for a select few, Cubans are not strong enough for my liking.

strife

Watcher of the Sky
Rating - 100%
107   0   1
I think the deciding point for me is the investment factor due to the necessity of aging CCs. I can't see me buying a bunch of cigars that I have to wait years to smoke, stocking up could get costly. I love the fact that I can smoke a cigar right out of the box with 90% of NCs.

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I think the deciding point for me is the investment factor due to the necessity of aging CCs. I can't see me buying a bunch of cigars that I have to wait years to smoke, stocking up could get costly. I love the fact that I can smoke a cigar right out of the box with 90% of NCs.
That's true, but it's fun to stock up and let them age a little! I don't mind smoking right out of the box, more convenient that way.

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I wouldn't change my smoking habits, 90% CC 10% NC with 95% of my NC's being Nic puros. I would however buy only CC's with as old a code as I could find, CC quality is sure to go downhill if the lift the embargo. That said I don't think the embargo will be lifted anytime soon!

Ed Monton

Sir Winston
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
I have to go with NC. Although I live in Canada and can buy CC legally, I have about 90% NC in my humidor. A lot of that has to do with prices and easy access to less expensive NC cigars from the States. But, my taste preferences are solidly aligned with NC so I have to go with NC even if that probably just because that's what of smoked more than anything else.

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Cuba pretty much only makes puros right now, correct? I don't think they'll change that. For the most part, there won't be any cuban tobacco to be sold to other countries, but eventually it will be interesting to see what all the exiled blenders and rollers can do with cuban tobacco. The embargo being lifted would cause another cigar boom and the resolve of certain manufacturers to remain small would be tested.

I would probably smoke about the same as I do now. Mostly NC.
I've heard this theory 100 times that it will be interesting to see what the exiles will be able to do with Cuban tobacco. My question is this.. Why would Cubatobaco sell leaf to competitors to blend with? They have no motivation to do so. They have nothing to gain in a situation like that. They don't need the money or exposure, everyone knows they produce good cigars so they don't need the gimmick and if the "blended" cigar is no good they only stand to lose based on the bad publicity.

e-man67

Benny Hill's Understudy
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Never lift the embargo on cc's I say...they would put many boutique cigars out of business overnite and the prices would quadruple.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd probably buy more Cuban Cigars just because I could. I mean I already know that I can but I'm just not sure if I have found a legit source but I do know they exist as evidenced by the CC collections some of you have. So just the fact I'd know they were real I'd definitely spend some money on it.

ciggy

"TommyBoy"
Rating - 100%
326   0   0
I really just started to dive into the world of CC's and I have found them to be at about the same level as NC's. I voted NC's because I prefer a stronger cigar most of the time however when I'm in the mood for a mild to medium I think the CC's are better in flavor. My rotation would be roughly 70/30 for the NC.

indyrob

BoM Feb '06 & Sept. '08
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
To echo some of the sentiments, the US market is large but it's not huge. I don't see struggling B&M's suddenly increasing facings just because the embargo is lifted. Also, I believe that there is already a good number of smokers with the forbidden fruit already in hand so maybe a smaller increase is probably truer than what most expect.

As far as quality goes, I've noticed the CC's going from good to bad, from bad to worse, and now they are actually coming into a stellar product, ROTT. To poopoo quality/quantity over a supposed 'boom' just means there will be more for me when some of you pass on them.

ciggy

"TommyBoy"
Rating - 100%
326   0   0
So power is more important than flavor to you? Not judging, just curious.
I guess what I was trying to say is the NC's I like which are Med-Full are stronger but also have nice flavor. So I guess it's a little difficult for me to explain it better. Power/strength/flavor I prefer, but when I'm in a mood for something not so harsh (like a morning smoke with coffee), I prefer a milder smoke. For some reason mild NC's are are just bland to me where CC's have a nice flavor profile. I am a rookie with CC's and have only had a few but it's only because I prefer the med/full NC's I smoke.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
82   0   0
I do not see how this will change much. They can only produce but so much tobacco. My biggest fear is if they start mixing tobacco from other countries with Cuban leaf, then they will be crap. I smoke 99% Cuban cigars. Not because I am a cigar snob but because I think they are better. I do not enjoy most cigars made elsewhere, that is my personal preference. Like what you smoke, that is all that matters.
Couldn't have said it better myself

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Since Im not the mature smoking enthusiast as of yet, I guess you can say Im still trying to find the sticks I like more than others - *Just give me a good cigar and I'll smoke it!*

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
This is exactly my rationale for smoking 90% nc and it wouldn't change much regardless of the embargo...Aged Cuban cigars are unique and generally fantastic, but the Tats, Padrons, and Viaje "off the truck" are just too convenient - and wonderful! :inlove: