What's new

New drawers have arrived!!

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Yea and spritz some dw on them as well. You want them to season with the drawers before you put the sticks in
OK man, I've got a healthy amount of KL in the bottom now with a couple small containers up top. What am I looking for before I remove the DW bowls completely? I've never seasoned wood with beads AND bowls of DW at the same time....

Rating - 94.7%
20   1   0
OK man, I've got a healthy amount of KL in the bottom now with a couple small containers up top. What am I looking for before I remove the DW bowls completely? I've never seasoned wood with beads AND bowls of DW at the same time....
It should fluctuate a little and you may have to spray the kl a few more times to get it to the level you want. I had to 4 or 5 times to get mine to 65. Once it's steady there for a couple days it's good to go

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
It should fluctuate a little and you may have to spray the kl a few more times to get it to the level you want. I had to 4 or 5 times to get mine to 65. Once it's steady there for a couple days it's good to go
but with 5 bowls of DW in there, how is it ever going to go lower? Even with the spritzed KL in there?

Rating - 100%
95   0   0
I pulled my DW bowls out when the RH hit low 70s. It dropped back down a bit and I sprayed the little once or twice before everything leveled out. Had cigars in mine the second day after I got the drawers.

Rating - 100%
39   0   0
but with 5 bowls of DW in there, how is it ever going to go lower? Even with the spritzed KL in there?
When it was just the wood and DW, the wood soaks up the available humidity. Now that you have added the spritzed KL, the humidity should go down. Unless you drenched the KL in DW, some of those beads will be dry and will also suck up some of the available humidity in the air. But, with 5 bowls, you might be right... The humidity in the air will be replenished by the bowls faster than the KL can absorb it.

However, I think you are over thinking it. Take the bowls out already. Toss in your cigars. Check the RH every hour or two. If humidity goes down below your desired level, add DW to the beads. Too high? Add some KL to help absorb. If you are at maximum capacity with your KL, scoop some out and add dry KL.

At this point, it becomes less of a science and more alchemy. Everyone buying cedar shelves/drawers for a wino should know that you have to put in a little work to reach your perfect balance, which is different for everyone. It isn't a Ronco Rotisserie... You can't just "set it and forget it"

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
When it was just the wood and DW, the wood soaks up the available humidity. Now that you have added the spritzed KL, the humidity should go down. Unless you drenched the KL in DW, some of those beads will be dry and will also suck up some of the available humidity in the air. But, with 5 bowls, you might be right... The humidity in the air will be replenished by the bowls faster than the KL can absorb it.

However, I think you are over thinking it. Take the bowls out already. Toss in your cigars. Check the RH every hour or two. If humidity goes down below your desired level, add DW to the beads. Too high? Add some KL to help absorb. If you are at maximum capacity with your KL, scoop some out and add dry KL.

At this point, it becomes less of a science and more alchemy. Everyone buying cedar shelves/drawers for a wino should know that you have to put in a little work to reach your perfect balance, which is different for everyone. It isn't a Ronco Rotisserie... You can't just "set it and forget it"
Thanks man! I think I may turn the fridge on while there is some bowls of water in there still. RH will drop significantly when i start to run the cooling aspect.

And yea, I'm definitely over thinking but this part is half the fun for me :)

Rating - 94.7%
20   1   0
Thanks man! I think I may turn the fridge on while there is some bowls of water in there still. RH will drop significantly when i start to run the cooling aspect.

And yea, I'm definitely over thinking but this part is half the fun for me :)
I agree, the wood should've soaked up enough at this point to remove the bowls and just prime the kl with dw. Your cigars being added will stabilize the whole thing too.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I agree, the wood should've soaked up enough at this point to remove the bowls and just prime the kl with dw. Your cigars being added will stabilize the whole thing too.
Well I pulled all of the water bowls out and it's just KL. Stabilized at about 75% without water bowls, so I'd say the wood is ready :) Going to turn it on and see where it's at when I get back home in a few hours. I'm thinkin it'll be perfect with a 10% RH drop, which is what happened when I first got the wino and was just testing things out with my cigar trays I keep in my cooler.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
The only problem I see is trying to get a smoke from the bottom row since they are stacked 3 high. Gonna be LOTS of rearranging every time i want a stick from the bottom of the pile!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm late to the thread but congratulations on your new drawers! And they do look sexy when loaded with cigars :)
When my drawers arrived my Tupperware was too tall as well. I went to the dollar store and got a 3 or 4 pack of Tupperware shaped like sandwiches that are just the right height. I used two of them for my KL. I just installed the drawers, loaded them with cigars, and spritzed the KL, and the RH has remained in the 65-67% range through out. Of course my drawers sat for a couple of days in 60% humidity in the house before they went it.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I'm late to the thread but congratulations on your new drawers! And they do look sexy when loaded with cigars :)
When my drawers arrived my Tupperware was too tall as well. I went to the dollar store and got a 3 or 4 pack of Tupperware shaped like sandwiches that are just the right height. I used two of them for my KL. I just installed the drawers, loaded them with cigars, and spritzed the KL, and the RH has remained in the 65-67% range through out. Of course my drawers sat for a couple of days in 60% humidity in the house before they went it.
Awesome! Yea i just cut down the tupperwares I had to make them fit. Seems to do the job just fine. Holding decently steady at 65 after much spraying.

I've smoked 4 cigars so far out of the wino and it rebounds pretty quickly so I'm happy with it thus far! stacking them 3 tall kind of sucks but that's just more storage :)