What's new

New guy looking for suggestions.

Rating - 100%
106   0   0
Wait another 2 years. Illusione at 5 years is fantastic. :)

EPC might be another good choice. Relatively inexpensive but still good tobacco unlike others. More lighter in flavor.
I'll have to go back and buy some more from this shop I found today. Couldn't believe they had 3 year old left.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IronW

Andrew
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
I always recommend smoking through CAO and Rocky Patel. Depending on where you live don't spend more than $10. But you can get a good foundation from those two lines
I second this. CAO and RP make decent enough smokes and give you a good variety, just don't stock up on them. Perdomo, My Father, and Fuente would be good to explore too. Smoke as many different sticks as you can and figure out what you like, pay attention to wrappers a bit to try to help buy new sticks that likely have a similar profile. As you progress into smoking more your pallette will develop and change.

I always figure that's a great starting point, then start moving into better stuff (Tatuaje, Crowned Heads, Warped, Illusione). Take your time and enjoy the journey into the "better, higher end" cigars. Starting with the "lower end" smokes will make you appreciate the good stuff all the more.

Last edited:

Nacho Daddy

Irrepressibly Irreverent Inveterate Ignominy
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
start out with mild to medium sticks
if you can learn to appreciate the lighter flavors, you will train your palate faster, and it will be more enjoyable as you progress and your tastes mature and change.
Just a word: resist buying more than 3 to 5 of each cigar for the first year at least. your choices will change often if you stay in this hobby
Mine certainly has changed many times in 43 years of cigars.

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
I second this. CAO and RP make decent enough smokes and give you a good variety, just don't stock up on them. Perdomo, My Father, and Fuente would be good to explore too. Smoke as many different sticks as you can and figure out what you like, pay attention to wrappers a bit to try to help buy new sticks that likely have a similar profile. As you progress into smoking more your pallette will develop and change.

I always figure that's a great starting point, then start moving into better stuff (Tatuaje, Crowned Heads, Warped, Illusione). Take your time and enjoy the journey into the "better, higher end" cigars. Starting with the "lower end" smokes will make you appreciate the good stuff all the more.
If you can get the "better stuff" for the same price as the crap, why wouldn't you? I have never understood this logic.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
As a total newb I am buying a lot of different cigars, watching the sales and auctions. I now have a wide selection of cigars both adored and panned by forum members. I am learning what I like and what I don't like (sumatra wrappers and anything green). My price points are reasonable and I have enough cigars that I can let them rest and develop. Just experiencing a cigar over time is an education. I keep a lot of notes, try to find flavors and don't mind when I get a bad one, that's part of the journey.
You can usually find reasonably priced Drew Estates and RP samplers at your local B&M so they may be a good starting point without spending a lot of money. When members like SOFC recommend a cigar you can bet you'll enjoy it so take his advice and pick up a couple but keep exploring and learning. Its to early to limit your options to just what we recommend on the board.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
If I were starting new–after decades of cigar smoking–I would try cigars not only based on brand, but the wrapper and blend. Try different wrappers types like maduro, shade grown, sungrown, criollo, corojo, etc. Chateau Fuente is a great starter cigar at a decent price where you can get a natural, sungrown and a maduro in one brand and size to taste the difference in wrappers. Try a Mexican San Andrés wrapped cigar, a complex blend like the Sobremesa (5-blend filler). Add in country of origin (many, of course, are multi-country blends) and factory, and now you can start seeing/tasting the differences in construction and flavor. Try a cigar like the Padron line where filler, binder and wrapper are all Nicaraguan (a puro, exception is the Damaso).
Cigar making isn't straightforward blending (not to simplify a difficult process) like it was twenty years ago. Hybrids, new-entry countries in tobacco growing, and even more complex multi-country blends have allowed for the creation of some interesting cigars.
Try a lot of singles, keep notes, and figure out what you really like. But don't ever get stuck completely on one cigar (just my opinion, and not to say you shouldn't stock up on your favorites). And continue trying new cigars because the producers keep coming up with some great new blends.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If I were starting new–after decades of cigar smoking–I would try cigars not only based on brand, but the wrapper and blend. Try different wrappers types like maduro, shade grown, sungrown, criollo, corojo, etc. Chateau Fuente is a great starter cigar at a decent price where you can get a natural, sungrown and a maduro in one brand and size to taste the difference in wrappers. Try a Mexican San Andreas wrapped cigar, a complex blend like the Sobremesa (5-blend filler). Add in country of origin (many, of course, are multi-county blends) and factory, and now you can start seeing/tasting the differences in construction and flavor. Try a cigar like the Padron line where filler, binder and wrapper are all Nicaraguan (a puro, exception is the Damaso).
Cigar making isn't straightforward blending (not to simplify a difficult process) like it was twenty years ago. Hybrids, new-entry countries in tobacco growing, and even more complex multi-country blends have allowed for the creation of some interesting cigars.
Try a lot of singles, keep notes, and figure out what you really like. But don't ever get stuck completely on one cigar (just my opinion, and not to say you shouldn't stock up on your favorites). And continue trying new cigars because the producers keep coming up with some great new blends.
I sent you a pm.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Get in on the nebie verification trade here. You get lots of great smokes. It is how I started 9 months ago.

Stay away from any of the "deals" at CI and places like that. Buy "known" quality cigars from the major brands. Look at what people are smoking in the sticky above.

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Also if you're new to smoking, try not to only smoke strong smokes. Will make mild sticks latter seem bland. Macanudo, cusano maduro, camacho 62, room101 (camaroon?) I forget the name of their new milder stick. I likedon't cao and RPR when I was starting off. They gave clear cut descriptions of their taste and origins better. Num has some goodles habano and Cammy and maddies. Remember there is always going to be a chance of an "off" cigar so just because you have one bad one doesn't mean every other one you have is going to smoke the same.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Undercrown was meant to be a surrogate for shops that could not get Liga. In that regard, it was not successful. Rather than smoking a cigar that aspires to be Liga Privada, just smoke Liga Privada.
As For Oliva Serie V, it's a templatized blend and very basic: Ecuador wrapper, the rest from Nicaragua and fairly strong. Most every Nicaraguan company is making a blend like this and they're all starting to taste the same. But, if you want to use the Serie V blend as a springboard, start smoking similar blends from AJ Fernandez, Espinosa Cigars, and My Father. Same template, minor variations in body and structure.
This type of blend has become the Chicken Parm' of the cigar world...satisfying in a heavy-handed, cheesy sort of way, but nothing special.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Undercrown was meant to be a surrogate for shops that could not get Liga. In that regard, it was not successful. Rather than smoking a cigar that aspires to be Liga Privada, just smoke Liga Privada.
As For Oliva Serie V, it's a templatized blend and very basic: Ecuador wrapper, the rest from Nicaragua and fairly strong. Most every Nicaraguan company is making a blend like this and they're all starting to taste the same. But, if you want to use the Serie V blend as a springboard, start smoking similar blends from AJ Fernandez, Espinosa Cigars, and My Father. Same template, minor variations in body and structure.
This type of blend has become the Chicken Parm' of the cigar world...satisfying in a heavy-handed, cheesy sort of way, but nothing special.
OR..... You can smoke whatever you like (while realizing that taste is subjective) and ignore people that denigrate the sticks you like. As a matter of fact, I recommend that you buy a Rocky Patel from your local lounge and smoke that sucker for 6 hours while sitting on a stool and ordering only water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk