What's new

New to cigars, but I like them stronger and nuttier!

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
So what is it specifically about corojo wrappers, what sort of flavor profile does it bring to the table?
It has a nice rich, sometimes spicy, fuller flavor to it, and is often paired with blends that have a nuttiness to them. I think the combination of you asking for stronger flavor and "nutty", (as opposed to stronger flavor and "chocolate", "espresso" or "earthy" which would lead you more down the Colorado Broadleaf/maduro road) has people looking for the natural wrappers that are fuller-flavored, and the corojo is one of the richer ones, at least in my experience.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So what is it specifically about corojo wrappers, what sort of flavor profile does it bring to the table?
Here is some good info off the net!
The Big Four
The four major wrapper leaves, from light to dark, are Connecticut, Corojo, Habano and Maduro.
  • Connecticut. As the name implies, this leaf comes from the Northeastern U.S. state and is essentially the only significant tobacco export from America. However, the seed is grown in Ecuador as well. This plant is nurtured under special conditions, garnering it the nickname "Connecticut Shade" because it is mostly grown under some form of protection - like giant sheets of cheesecloth. This keeps its color light and the unpredictable weather, such as excessive sun radiation, from beating up the plant. The lack of sunlight also contributes to the leaf's mild flavor and low nicotine content, but it usually has a woody, spicy and/or cedar taste. Suggested examples include the beloved Macanudo and Montecristo cigars.
  • Corojo. A little darker in color than the Connecticut wrapper, the Corojo was originally grown in Cuba but, because of the embargo, it is now mostly grown in Honduras. Due to the new location, the seed needed to be genetically modified in order to survive in its new environment. This wrapper tends to have a very spicy, peppery, robust flavor, favored by many cigar smokers; however, one drawback to the wrapper is its toughness. It sometimes doesn't smoke easily. To try it out, explore the Camacho Corojo.
  • Habano is similar in color to Corojo and is also from Cuba, but today it grows mostly in Nicaragua. The leaf produces a heavy, spicy flavor and is often dense with nicotine, so it may overwhelm a beginner smoker. Discover this delicious wrapper with brands like the Perdomo Habano.
  • The Maduro is the darkest in color of the four and enjoys the lengthiest lifespan, from seedling to wrapper leaf. It goes through such a long process to properly darken and flavor the leaf properly. Because of these distinct parameters, to be classified as Maduro the wrapper requires a hearty, thick leaf that can withstand years of aging and still maintain its un-blemished cover quality. Not every leaf can be turned into a Maduro wrapper and, interestingly enough, they tend to defy their ominous looks. These cigars often produce a somewhat sweeter undercurrent, which has earned this style the nickname "dessert smoke." To learn more about this specific wrapper click here. We recommend the CAO or Macanudo Maduro.
Other Notable Wrappers
Some other wrappers worth mentioning are the Candela, Sumatra, Oscuro and Cameroon.

Candela is distinctly green in color, which has much to do with its quick aging process. Though this doesn't detract from its value, flavor or strength profiles. It is usually milder and sometimes used in short, promotional runs of cigars.
  • The Sumatra leaf comes from the Indonesian region that bears the same name. Known for its cinnamon zest, it is usually mild and sweet. Light up a Hoyo de Monterey Dark Sumatra cigar and taste the full-bodied take on the Sumatra wrapper.
  • Oscuro is a very dark cigar wrapper. These remarkable cigars are sometimes called double Maduro. Why? Because they are fermented for longer than the traditional Maduro wrap in order to achieve their intense color and flavor.
  • The Cameroon comes from the Central African country. The leaves of this plant have a unique "toothy" quality, which fortunately does not translate to the actual wrapper or its taste. The Cameroon is rich and savory. Intrigued by the African mystique? We recommend an H. Upmann Vintage Cameroon.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Welcome from wva. Some of the cigars that I had when I first started enjoying them that made me a fan of the stronger blends were the diesel unholy cocktail, mow ruination and dpg blue. These are a couple to try that can be found very afforable to see if that is the profile that u like

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Welcome from wva. Some of the cigars that I had when I first started enjoying them that made me a fan of the stronger blends were the diesel unholy cocktail, mow ruination and dpg blue. These are a couple to try that can be found very afforable to see if that is the profile that u like
I forgot to mention that these all have different wrappers n can give u an idea of what u like

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
Looking at my intro thread from last year and found this, interesting that I got to strike first!
Also funny that I thought AB Sungrown was a full bodied stick.... Fell straight down the rabbit hole lol
You may have struck first..

but you didnt strike last...

Im assuming your mail hasnt run yet today? :punch:

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
lol.. I hadnt planned on talking about this at all.. but.. since he brought it up.... :)

(his package got mailed on Thursday morning.. Im guessing it might take until Monday to get there.. but I am hopeful it arrives today...)