What's new

New wine cooler!

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Finally after sooo many years wanting one, I've got it! There were different options in my local market but this one is one of the few with local warranty and a local repair shop that can cover the warranty. It has a compressor...a tradeoff I know, but w/e.

The next few days I'll be cleaning it to remove the plastic smell. I'm buying a few boveda packs, and 3A molecular sieves (most KL in my area are scented). In the meanwhile, I'll put the cigars on top of some Tupperware containers until I can make cedar trays or something. Not sure what you guys recommend.
PXL_20240527_104341430.jpg

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Best advice is to get it as stable as possible before putting in your cigars. If it is a compressor type unit you may have trouble keeping humidity stable. If you can't get it dialed in you can still use the unit but should probably keep your smokes in weather sealed tupperware with Bovedas. Mentioning this because if you do decide to use the tupperware you'll not need cedar cigar shelves.

If it does dial in after a week or so and remains stable then you can add your smokes. If your smokes are at the same humidity as the humidor you can pretty much do a full load, if there is a difference be patient and add to the humidor slowly.

It's common to read members getting in a hurry and ending up with huge swings in both temp and humidity. They spend a lot of time, and worry trying to correct large problems instead of small ones.

Good luck! Pretty unit

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
Sage advice from Boudie, don't rush and make sure it's stable. Keep a close eye on the humidity since it's a compressor unit and not thermoelectric.

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Thank you guys. I am buying the beads and Boveda with some cedar shelves and will have it running for a week or 2 to see if humidity stabilizes. I want to shoot for 65-67% RH.

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
401   0   0
Rating - 100%
27   0   0

Rupe

Rating - 100%
401   0   0
I bought this at Walmart a couple of months ago. If I recall it was around $5

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
I bought this at Walmart a couple of months ago. If I recall it was around $5

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Found this one. Gonna keep looking.

In the meanwhile, cleaned cooler with water and soap, then vinegar, then water and soap again. Filled it with newspaper, a Tupperware with coffee and another one with baking soda. Doesn't smell much like plastic anymore lol

Sent from my Pixel 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Rupe

Rating - 100%
401   0   0
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
This one worked. Crystals with few blue and white crystals/stones. Unscented. I am now testing its base RH% in a Tupperware. Found out my hygrometer is 7 points off, so 65% Bovedas mark 58% :cry:

Texican

Suburban Legend
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Back when I kept my tupperdors in a compressor wine fridge, I'd use large dessicant packs to quell the occasional RH spike. Sometimes it would go north of 80% because the temperature would, despite being set at 67 degrees, plunge into the low 50s. :oops:

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Currently testing the kitty litter. The RH% is rock steady at 75%. I thought KL had lower RH%. Not sure how to decrease its RH.

Texican

Suburban Legend
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Can also use a small dish of dry white rice, apparently. I tried it once with some success before getting the dessicant packs.

Rupe

Rating - 100%
401   0   0
Currently testing the kitty litter. The RH% is rock steady at 75%. I thought KL had lower RH%. Not sure how to decrease its RH.

I keep forgetting that kitty litter will have higher RH right out of the bag in areas like the gulf coast or Dominican Republic that have generally higher ambient RH than somewhere dryer like Minnesota.

Try putting it into your refrigerator for a few days. That should decrease some of the stored humidity.

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
I keep forgetting that kitty litter will have higher RH right out of the bag in areas like the gulf coast or Dominican Republic that have generally higher ambient RH than somewhere dryer like Minnesota.

Try putting it into your refrigerator for a few days. That should decrease some of the stored humidity.
Figured as much. I've been measuring the RH% in the wine cooler and the lower part is around 50%, the top is 20-30%. Temperature is rock solid 66F everywhere, but not the RH. The weird thing is that this cooler has 2 fans (top and bottom) but still has such a wide range of humidity.

I'm planning on putting my heartfelt beads and bóveda packs on top, and KL on the bottom.

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
My dude. Congrats!

My two cents: if you're going to run it for temp control, get tupperdores for inside, separating the temp control from the humidity. It doesn't look as cool, but in terms of functionality, it's so much better.

For my two main 28-bottle-sized Vinotemp conversions, I never got any kind of good stability when the units were running. I eventually just unplugged them. Humidity falls. In the wineadors I don't run temp control in, I rotate my bovedas, taking from the bottom and putting on the top.

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
My dude. Congrats!

my two cents: if you're going to run it, get tupperdores and separate the temp control from the humidity. It doesn't look as cool, but in terms of functionality, it's amazing.

View attachment 192290
Dude! So awesome to see you here. Thanks for the recommendation. I'll consider doing that for sure. What's the humidity inside the Tupperwares?

Right now I'm trying to stabilize the humidity and then move the cigars in. Humidity drops a bit whenever the compressor kicks in, and I'm trying to get it to 65-66% normally.