What's new

Kitty Litter - Experience so far

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
Lol thanks Ara. I know the question sounded stupid but what I meant was should the KL be spread flat or can it be in a small container?
Both. Better spread out as more surface area but small container is fine.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
156   0   0
I'm using coffins in the drawers and some 10 count boxes on the bottom. From the pm Rupe sent the more surface area the better it will work. I was using the fish tank filter bags but found too much dust was falling out.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the stuff. I'm at the 1 year mark of using KL. I paid $5 for a 4 pound bag and still have half the bag left and am running a humidor and a coolidor.

The KL in the coolidor went 9 months holding rock steady between 65-67. I literally did not touch the KL in the coolidor for 9 months. I am more than pleased with KL.
I use Mimi brand silica KL. Smaller than the exquisicat in terms of size, but works just as well. I use it in my 20qt tupperdor.
That's what I'm using too.

Rating - 100%
44   0   0
I've been using KL for about a weeks. Started it up with instructions from Rupe and it's been holding at 66 with no change. When I built the wineadore I figured why not try to run KL and if that didn't work I could change over to beads without much money wasted. So far KL is doing what people have said it would.

are these instructions wrote down somewhere, im thinking about going with KL for my coolidor im starting to build tomorrow

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
are these instructions wrote down somewhere, im thinking about going with KL for my coolidor im starting to build tomorrow
Depending on the size of your cooler, all u need to do is throw your digital hygrometer in there and leave it for a day. Mind u, this is after u have cleaned it out with soap and water and let it dry in the sun. Make sure there's no plastic smell etc. throw any cedar u have such as empty cigar boxes or even trays if u have them. After a day check the humidity%. If it's lower than what u want, add the KL to some type of container and spray it with distilled water. Put that inside then wait another day. Read the hygro and then go from there. Add more DW to raise the rH. Don't over soak the KL to the point you can see still water floating on top. Here's a pic of my desktop as it sits right now.

Rating - 100%
156   0   0
Use a shallow container no need to have the KL deep. I would shoot for 1/2"-1" deep. There are tupperware containers that work great for this or old cigar boxes. The more surface exposure to the humidor the better thats why you need a shallow container. A nylon or mesh bag will work but you won't get much surface exposure. I also had too much dust from them. leave the KL without adding any distilled water you need to see where your RH is. After you wait about 8 hours see where the RH is most have reported in at the low 60's thats when you will add the first spritzes just do 2 or 3 quick sprays unless your container is larger. Once you've given it a few sprays then wait a few hours. Keep adjusting like that until you reach readings you want.

Rating - 100%
44   0   0
thanks for the info guys picked up my shelving, KL and other supplys today my coleman 150 qt was spose to be here fedex today but looks like not till tomorrow now for some reason!!

and im really really really glad I went with the 150 quart... already have 2 box's here and 11 on there way.... I hate this site LMFAO j/k :rolling:

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
I been using ExquisiCat "Pearls" for probably 7 years now. Came in a 7lb container for something like $15-16 bucks? I always got consistent RH in many coolidors but am anal about RH. These are made of same three thing as cigar beads: silica sand, oxygen, and water. THIS IS NOT ROCKET SCIENCE TO MAKE WORTH PAYING THE PRICES FOR CIGAR BEADS OVER KITTY LITTER (in my opinion and I have both). Many of us that first tried this years ago took a LOT of crap (meow jokes, cat crap, do cigars taste like cat shit) when was first brought up at BOTL. Over the years everyone I know of that bought and tried the correct KL beads keep the RH just fine. Only difference most noted including myself is KL beads tend to break down more quickly then the beads. I keep mine in a woman's nylons inside a cedar cigar oasis holder. Any questions feel free to PM me.

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Use a shallow container no need to have the KL deep. I would shoot for 1/2"-1" deep. There are tupperware containers that work great for this or old cigar boxes. The more surface exposure to the humidor the better thats why you need a shallow container. A nylon or mesh bag will work but you won't get much surface exposure. I also had too much dust from them. leave the KL without adding any distilled water you need to see where your RH is. After you wait about 8 hours see where the RH is most have reported in at the low 60's thats when you will add the first spritzes just do 2 or 3 quick sprays unless your container is larger. Once you've given it a few sprays then wait a few hours. Keep adjusting like that until you reach readings you want.
Exactly and this is what I preach all day long. This is by far the easiest media to use for RH and it won't cost you much. This stuff will let you dial your RH anywhere you like and I have 35 humis that testify to this...some are at 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69 and yes....70.

Rating - 100%
46   0   0
Will the Kl work in a humi care humidifer? I have a tall tower of power with boxes and singles in it. I want to get rid of the foam in the humi care.

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
401   0   0
I've been using KL for about a weeks. Started it up with instructions from Rupe and it's been holding at 66 with no change. When I built the wineadore I figured why not try to run KL and if that didn't work I could change over to beads without much money wasted. So far KL is doing what people have said it would.

Here is a copy of the PM that I sent to Wicket to get him started..........

First off you want to make sure that you start with the right type of KL. It needs to be the crystal type and unscented. Personally I use Mimi litter ($4 for 4 pounds at WalMart) but others have had the same result with the Equisicat brand. Just make sure that it is the crystal style and unscented.

Next you will want to choose the right container. Some people have used nylon stockings or filter media bags to hold it but I have heard a complaint or two regarding dust if you do it this way. It is also a little bit harder to hydrate so what I have found is the best container is a shallow plastic Tupperware style container. In my one cooler I used plastic switch boxes (the type that you would use if you are putting a switch or outlet into your house) but the reason for this was that they fit perfectly into the empty space I had . The ones I use for my other cooler are the smaller containers that lunch meat came in originally. Sandwich size Gladware containers are also a great option. Basically any shallow plastic container will work.

Fill the containers with the KL about 1/2" to 1" deep. A little deeper than that will not hurt however the key is not to have a ton of KL but rather to have as much surface area exposed as possible. then distribute the containers at various locations. For a wineador I would say that you would want to have a couple of containers on the bottom and one or two on the top. if you have space one in the middle would not hurt but if you have some sort of circulation setup in your wineador it probably is not necessary.

Now to hydrate the KL. My suggestion is to go to WalMart and buy a spray bottle. I found one in the housewares section by the ironing supplies for around a buck. Fill the spray bottle with distilled water and spray the water over the top of the KL that is in your container. From my experience, the KL is generally about 60% RH out of the bag and that you can raise the humidity by 1% for every 1-2 spritzes. in other words if you want to get your humidity to 65% (for example) start by spraying each of your KL containers 5-7 sprays. Now strategically place the containers in the wineador. Let it sit for at least a day and see where the humidity is. If you need more humidity, give it a few additional spritzes. if you accidentally over humidify, just add a little more KL from the bag to bring it back down and let it sit another day. I have found that by doing this you can dial it in to the % you want within 2-3 days.

Important things to consider

- Make sure that your hygrometers are properly calibrated. This sounds basic but many people forget to take this important step.
- Make sure that your spaces are as full as possible. Spanish cedar and cigars will help to regulate your humidity. if you have a lot of empty space you can fill it with empty boxes from your B&M. If your space is empty it will be harder to keep a constant RH.
- When placing your Spanish cedar trays or empty cigar boxes inside, make sure that they are "seasoned". I have seen it happen more than once where someone has put dry boxes or trays into their cooler or wineador and it has made it very hard to stabilize their humidity.

Nas

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
I bought a useless xikar pre mixed solution 16oz. And it can hold for sh*t my KL in my coolidor freakin amazing. That being said who wants a free bottle of the solution. Not kidding pm your addy I promise I'll bomb something useful in it too

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not sure if it's normal but I leave my spray bottle on top of my wineador because I have to spray my KL about once a week, or week and a half. It's not huge deal or hard, but that being said I still love it.

It drops to like 62 so I give it 2-3 sprays and I'm right back at 64.