What's new

New Years resolution

Hopduro

PhDStogies
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
Great video, is that one of our rollers here?
That's mr. @webmost!

@Opforty i totally missed this thread! How exciting! Look up blisscigarco on YouTube, Blake has some great videos on rolling. Gdaddy has great intro videos too!

Or just let me know when you want to fire up the vherf and I'll roll with ya on cam. We could even draw a crowd if you want

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
That's mr. @webmost!

@Opforty i totally missed this thread! How exciting! Look up blisscigarco on YouTube, Blake has some great videos on rolling. Gdaddy has great intro videos too!

Or just let me know when you want to fire up the vherf and I'll roll with ya on cam. We could even draw a crowd if you want

Ah, good stuff. Good job @webmost

You missed this thread cause you use Tapatalk!

Opforty

B&M Bomber
Rating - 100%
226   0   0
That's mr. @webmost!

For sure brother, jus let me dip my toe in the pool first before I go for a double gainer.

I will definitely be bending your ear though...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Opforty

B&M Bomber
Rating - 100%
226   0   0
Here is the fruits of the first rolling session with my brother. They definitely didn't include enough glue for a beginner. We managed to roll 7 though before the glue ran out.

While they may have been Ugs, they sure weren't plugs.

Learned a lot though. Mine were definitely under filled so I need to work on that, but it didn't affect the burn other than having a loose draw at the start.

I think leaf prep is going to make a big difference since we didn't do any for this and kind of got impatient waiting for the wrapper to soften up, leading to some holes and, consequently, some small wrappers. Also the pizza cutters sucked, definitely need a good knife. Really gotta go back and watch some videos now of how the head is finished, cause mine sucked.

All in all, 10/10 will do again. Will the arabica gum powder work for the glue?

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Here is the fruits of the first rolling session with my brother. They definitely didn't include enough glue for a beginner. We managed to roll 7 though before the glue ran out.

While they may have been Ugs, they sure weren't plugs.

Learned a lot though. Mine were definitely under filled so I need to work on that, but it didn't affect the burn other than having a loose draw at the start.

I think leaf prep is going to make a big difference since we didn't do any for this and kind of got impatient waiting for the wrapper to soften up, leading to some holes and, consequently, some small wrappers. Also the pizza cutters sucked, definitely need a good knife. Really gotta go back and watch some videos now of how the head is finished, cause mine sucked.

All in all, 10/10 will do again. Will the arabica gum powder work for the glue?

Get a chaveta.

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I have used xanthan gum (from a grocery store) then moved on to arabica from LO. I'm going to order some bermocol soon as the arabica seems to work well on seco wrappers but not darker leaf such as ligero, viso, nor CTBL. Maybe I'm mixing it too watered down but then again, maybe I need a better glue.
I do prefer working with a chaveta, if this is something you'll continue to do, I'd say go for it.20180123_073054.jpg

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One big recommendation that I would like to offer is that molds really allow you to up your game. It allows for a smooth cigar to apply wrapper to, and keeps things uniform. It immediately ups the look of the finished product. Congrats on joining and let the good gars roll!

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
The only diff between a $33 chaveta and a $12 ulu is that Manuel Manana never got round to putting a handle on his chaveta. Well, that and the ulu you can get right down the road at the kitchen store, whereas the chaveta you have to order up, pay freight, and wait.

The only diff between Bermacol and craft glue, or, for that matter, wallpaper paste, yes, you read that right, is that... well, there is no diff. Packaging, I guess. The diff between this cellulose glue from Bermacol which they use for wallpaper, crafts, and cigars and gum arabic is you don't have to cook cellulose and you don't have to frigerate it either.

If you ran out of glue you're using too much.

Nothing wrong setting yourself a goal to roll a reasonable stick w/ no mold:

Carl and I set down for a learning session Sunday and by his third try he had a stick that was firm, parallel sided, smooth, and tasty. Not that hard to do. We spent most of our time smoking on the porch, talking about children, Moonies, water filters, & his dream house in the woods. Wish I had taken pics. Meant to. Talked too much & forgot to. Anyhoo, my point is, if you practice rolling freehand you will learn to control the even distribution of the right amount of leaf, more than if you just force consistency by jamming stuff in a mold. I first learned with a perfecto mold. Now I'm trying to learn freehand. Fectos force you to control the right amount of leaf cause you can't just plan to whack off your loose ends. Freehand is even better. Depends whether you're looking for immediate product or eventual skill.

In the words of my favorite American hero, Todd Beamer: "Let's roll."

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
What happened to your post, Bliss? I saw it a moment ago and now I can't find it. You cancel it off? Thot you made a good point.
Yeah, I cancelled it. Sometimes I'll write something while I'm eating my oatmeal, and by the time I'm done with my coffee I'll think, "Na, just gonna start some dumb argument, I'm just here to enjoy myself and learn how to roll cigars."

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I get it. Its more control for me. If a choice is made for what ever reason about anything, it could work out or not. consequence is inevitable.

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cigar rolling is a minimalist art, especially at the highest level. It's a beautiful thing that you really need very few tools to perform. A sharp blade on a hard surface is really all that's needed to make a few simple cuts. You want a chaveta as your blade, get one. No big investment. However, the tools will not necessarily make you a better cigar roller.

By far the most important tools are the hands of the roller.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Yeah, I cancelled it. Sometimes I'll write something while I'm eating my oatmeal, and by the time I'm done with my coffee I'll think, "Na, just gonna start some dumb argument, I'm just here to enjoy myself and learn how to roll cigars."
Oatmeal's good. Bacon's better.
Anyone who came to the innerwebz hoping to avoid arguments came to the wrong place.
Me, I like argument. It's mental sport. Flexes your brain muscles.

Soon's I get home, I'm gonna fire that freehand stick. I have high hopes for it. Three vuelta abajo seco, one half piloto, olor binder, criollo wrapper. I think it's gonna be a winner. The piloto down the center made it draw that much easier, cause the damp vuelta, which tastes so mellow, wants to glom together & not draw. I spose I should lay those vuelta leaves all out for a few and let them dry down to decent filler dampness. If this blend works as well as I hope, I have a big Christmas cookie tin waiting to fill up with stash.