What's new

Newbie rolling

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
You tie a bunch of hooks on the end of a stick. You find a hole where an eel is hiding. The eel will pull back into his hole to hide. You thrust the stick in after him, and jerk it around. That's how you fish for an eel. The word for this kind of eel fishing is sniggling. Prolly from the same root as snaggle.

We are heirs to a vast and comprehensive vocab which we mostly ignore.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You tie a bunch of hooks on the end of a stick. You find a hole where an eel is hiding. The eel will pull back into his hole to hide. You thrust the stick in after him, and jerk it around. That's how you fish for an eel. The word for this kind of eel fishing is sniggling. Prolly from the same root as snaggle.

We are heirs to a vast and comprehensive vocab which we mostly ignore.
Sounds similar to 'noodling' for cat fish.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Sounds similar to 'noodling' for cat fish.
Tickling or guddling trout or salmon, noodling catfish, etc. are all done with bare hands. We used to tickle trout when I was a boy. Dad called it guggling. Maybe that's what his Dad called in in Virginia. You dangle your little fingers down by a trout hole the in bank, like little worms. The trout gets curious. Long about the time your arms get frozen you get to tickling their bellies. They like that, and come back for more. Eventually, you work your way up to their gills, hook your fingers, and throw them on the bank. Works.

But you sniggle eels with hooks.

You can jig for mackerel. Shine a light over the side of the boat, you'll lure mackerel. Lower a spark plug in that mackerel water with two or three hooks dangling under it. Jig it up and down. They come to check out the plug, you catch them under the chin with one of your hooks.

Loads of fun ways to murder fishies. Long lining is my fave.

Dominican56

CRA #99997657
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Last night I made an ad-hoc mojo. I used a bit of lemon juice, a splash of knob creek bourbon mixed with water in a spritzer bottle. I wetted down a couple of leaves of Nic ligero to see if it would calm the Nic leaf down a bit. It actually worked. I smoked a stick using the Nic this morning and it worked.
Also I have a pineapple cut up with the pieces in a half gallon of water. Someplace here I read to put some leaf stems in, did that too.

I hope it doesn’t froth up much, there isn’t much head room in the container.
I may transfer it to a gallon container if I can round one up.

Dominican56

CRA #99997657
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Also I added a little glycerin to some water and spritzed a ligero wrapper to see if that could add more shine to the leaf.
Actually it had the opposite affect on the leaf. The leaf has a dull finish and showed more splotches.

It was an interesting test, but glycerin has no place in my cigars.

Mojo is as far as I’m willing to go in order to change leaf characteristics.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last night I made an ad-hoc mojo. I used a bit of lemon juice, a splash of knob creek bourbon mixed with water in a spritzer bottle. I wetted down a couple of leaves of Nic ligero to see if it would calm the Nic leaf down a bit. It actually worked. I smoked a stick using the Nic this morning and it worked.
Also I have a pineapple cut up with the pieces in a half gallon of water. Someplace here I read to put some leaf stems in, did that too.

are we talking 3 or 4 drops each in a quart spray bottle?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I used crushed pineapple with juice from the pineapple for more exposure. A white mold will begin to form as a top layer(don't shake it up). Within 10 days there was a layer of firm white foam on the surface about a half inch thick. Reminded me of white foam rubber.

The Rum or Bourbon goes in AFTER fermentation and acts as a preservative.

Dominican56

CRA #99997657
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'll need a bigger bucket... one with some head space.
Gdaddy, I wondered what the booze brought to the table. Citric acid seems to be doing the heavy lifting smoothing the flavor as I learned from my lemon juice experiment.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll need a bigger bucket... one with some head space.
Gdaddy, I wondered what the booze brought to the table. Citric acid seems to be doing the heavy lifting smoothing the flavor as I learned from my lemon juice experiment.
Here is an excellent article written in 1908 of the discovery of using citric acid and its effect on tobacco.

https://books.google.com/books?id=5XpBAQAAMAAJ&pg=RA1-PA27&lpg=RA1-PA27&dq=citric+acid+tobacco&source=bl&ots=OOXYDuaRFO&sig=iAY5-Kf9DbGYapxhYcBfHZTZjxE&hl=en&sa=X&ei=T0M3VJDNFaeIsQS764C4Bw#v=onepage&q=citric acid tobacco&f=false

Dominican56

CRA #99997657
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

Dominican56

CRA #99997657
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Mojo:

A little goes a long way. At present I’ve got pineapple working. I hope it works, no bubbling yet

I’m using a very dilute mix of lemon juice with knob creek in it. I’ve had to dilute it by half already. It’s bringing lemon background to the leaf.

However, I’ve got some Nicaragua ligero that’s pretty awful that came with a LO kit. It’s now actually good to use with a little mojo on it.
I’m having to back way off on the amount of lemon mojo I’m using. Not sure if the lemon overtone will go away but it’s proving the point that a citric acid based “mojo” lessens harshness of ligero.

I’m learning more about cigar leaf every day. Pretty cool!

Dominican56

CRA #99997657
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I’m going to try ascorbic acid with water to see if that works without imparting a citrus flavor Probably it will still impart a flavor but I’ll give it a shot.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try Starsan. Purchase the concentrate at the home brew store. For sanitizing brew equipment you mix it 1.5OZ in 2.5 gallons. You could make it a bit stronger. I've never smoked the stuff, but it's food grade.
Thursday I wrapped a dozen rubusto with Arapiraca and it was the most difficult wrapper I’ve ever used. The sticks sure look nice, however.
Funny, I have wrapped a total of 10 sticks in my life, and i used that exact wrapper. Does that mean that in the future my sticks will turn out better? In your opinion, what characteristics made that wrapper hard to work with?

Dominican56

CRA #99997657
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Try Starsan. Purchase the concentrate at the home brew store. For sanitizing brew equipment you mix it 1.5OZ in 2.5 gallons. You could make it a bit stronger. I've never smoked the stuff, but it's food grade.

Funny, I have wrapped a total of 10 sticks in my life, and i used that exact wrapper. Does that mean that in the future my sticks will turn out better? In your opinion, what characteristics made that wrapper hard to work with?
It’s very thin and delicate compared to many other wrappers. I like it but it’s really delicate to work with

I’m not sure that the that cleaner you mentioned is what I’m talking about. I want a safe mild acid to bring the leaf closer to 7ph.