What's new

Newbie Wine Recommendations

Rating - 94.7%
20   1   0
By the way,I would not hit a hog in the ass with Sandeman port,it is the Gurkha of the wine world.
Really? A lot of guys on here speak highly of it. I haven't had a lot of port at all but judging from the guys who have I was gonna give it a try. And it's very reasonably priced, not priced as a premium but bad like so many say about Gurkha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nacho Daddy

Irrepressibly Irreverent Inveterate Ignominy
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
Sandeman's style is light,always has been.Good for a first trial,but not a serious contender...........
It also feels the pressure of being produced in huge quantities.
Around here it is a grocery store port.
Try a Dow or a Taylor(rich and spicy),or Ferreria (classy and terroir).Fonseca is lovely,fruit and tannins.
Swith Woodhouse offers a decent Vintage port,But their LBV is their strength.Offley LBV is ok,a but hot tasting.
Croft is less widespread but a top five choice in vintage,have not seen their LBV,so cannot say............

Nacho Daddy

Rating - 100%
121   0   0
Everyone's experience is different.I have pursued wine knowledge for 30 years, read ,tasted,and collected.
Worked at a big wine shop, the employees consulted me about Sherry and Madeira,most had never had much experience.
None had ever even seen a Spatlese from the '60s,or a '58 Barsac,or an ancient Madeira (Pre- Bual ) that turned dark while being enjoyed.
I am no expert,I have just had a lot of experience with wine.

bostoneo

The Chosen One
Rating - 100%
400   0   0
Everyone's experience is different.I have pursued wine knowledge for 30 years, read ,tasted,and collected.
Worked at a big wine shop, the employees consulted me about Sherry and Madeira,most had never had much experience.
None had ever even seen a Spatlese from the '60s,or a '58 Barsac,or an ancient Madeira (Pre- Bual ) that turned dark while being enjoyed.
I am no expert,I have just had a lot of experience with wine.
Noted

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Spring strong sweet tall green grass grow...
A lot of the $8-15 bottles could be likened to the big "internet brand" cigars. Nothing wrong with them. Some gems in the bunch. But a lot more searching to find something that really wows you once you've had amazing wine to compare it against. More often than not the wife usually comes home with something more in the range of $20-30 bottles. But, I'm always seeking deals, too. One of my favorite "mainstream" cheapies is Gnarly Head Old Vine Zin. (and you can usually add a good rebate to the mix multiple times a year) It's my old reliable "cheap" wine, coming in well under $8/bottle after box discount and rebates are figured in. Note, a true Zinfandel is not the "White Zin" your mother drinks. Not as fruity as the Cab your looking for, but a flavor BOMB and screams for a nice steak. More in the Malbec or Shiraz spectrum. You can't lump all reds or all whites together, either. Like saying all cigars taste the same since they're all just tobacco. Port is AMAZING with cigars, and can be like a 5 star restaurant gourmet dessert in a glass. Don't write off whites, either, and don't limit yourself to specific varietals or regions.
Oh, and don't get too caught up in all the gimmicks. Don't think that you NEED to decant. There are definitely wines that benefit from it, and most of the time they will not be the cheaper mass produced wines you're going to start your journey with. Spend money on good glassware before you do on a decanter. Hell, we've done strictly wine-based travel if that gives you an idea of importance in our lives, and I'm yet to buy a decanter. Try every wine when you open it, pour a glass, swirl it around, let it sit a bit, and try it again. You'll start to get a feel for what you like and what a wine needs just like you experiment with RH and temp in your humi. There are no right answers, just answers that work for you. Most importantly, enjoy it!
RAMBLERAMBLERAMBLE... I'll stop.

Nacho Daddy

Rating - 100%
121   0   0
good glassware is the key.
doesn't have to be Riedel,just good quality and big enough.
If you have a standard Bordeaux (straight sides)...... and a globe, you will seldom need other glasses.
try the same wine from both glasses side by side,you will be shocked at the difference a glass can make........
Decanting is still something that will enhance your experience,even a good cheap bottle will benefit.

Rating - 94.7%
20   1   0
Most of the stuff thrown in here are up my alley, I've always liked red much more than white. I can do some Chardonnay, Pinot Gris, and even a Riesling sometimes but I've never had any of them that just wowed me like reds do. I will I've you one that did though and it's a blend. Sokol Blosser Evolution. Started drinking it 10 years ago and it's been the best white I've had. They've expanded their line to more than just the white now. Blend of 9 grapes and it's good, at least to my taste.

Mr. McSquirelly

Joe Bananas
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
@bostoneo , I was at a Bevmo today in Serramonte, Calif. There's a guy who works there named Antonio. He's a second level sommemlier. I told him I was a cigar smoker, and he suggested some great wines. He told me, "Don't be fooled by price or name." He was extremely knowledgeable and informative. He works there on Saturdays. He said that most bottles over $50 are a ripoff and you will be paying for Vineyard name only. You can find $15 bottles that are amazing, and $75 bottles that are garbage. I would give him a call, if you're so inclined. He's a a cool guy with tons of knowledge and loves talking about wine--he'll tell you everything you need to know. Call the Bevmo in Serramonte, Calif. and ask for Antonio. Hope this helps.

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Like cigars...it's YOUR taste. .what YOU like..enjoy the journey and tell the rest of us thanks for offering advice. ...because that's all it is. We're not telling you who to marry or how to live your life. ...that'll cost you a ton.

drbell15

SmallWaveDave
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Everyday value wine picks from up here near Washington's wine country:
Bogle petite sirah
Concannon petite sirah
Sagelands Cab
Barnard Griffin Cab/merlot
Terrazas de los Andes Malbec

More to come...

drbell15

SmallWaveDave
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I agree Sokul Blosser Evolution also makes a fantastic red

bostoneo

The Chosen One
Rating - 100%
400   0   0
A lot of the $8-15 bottles could be likened to the big "internet brand" cigars. Nothing wrong with them. Some gems in the bunch. But a lot more searching to find something that really wows you once you've had amazing wine to compare it against. More often than not the wife usually comes home with something more in the range of $20-30 bottles. But, I'm always seeking deals, too. One of my favorite "mainstream" cheapies is Gnarly Head Old Vine Zin. (and you can usually add a good rebate to the mix multiple times a year) It's my old reliable "cheap" wine, coming in well under $8/bottle after box discount and rebates are figured
This $9 bottle you recommended is pretty tasty. It's the 2nd bottle we're on with some chocolate. Tons of baking spices on the palette.