What's new

(NHC) Surrogates Cigars Bone Crusher

thegoldenmackid

Why Can't I be a Lancero?
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Look, I'm sure Dan is getting close to clearing a lot of things up.

Surrogates is a regular production cigar. I think it's very clear that this is not a Viaje, nor from Raíces nor My Father. Even if Dan hadn't put that info out, making regular production store exclusives doesn't seem to be something Farkas would necessiarly be that interested in.

Reeve put the link to the quote from Dan explaining what he wanted in the cigar, but then again — that would involve going to TWO blogs.

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
^ I'm not sure how it's "very clear that this is not a Viaje," unless I missed something. Dan said it's from a new source for him ... does that mean someone who's never made one of HIS cigars (i.e. Pete and Dion), or someone who he's never even done an exclusive with (which would rule out Viaje). Or does it mean a factory that he's never worked with before for one of HIS cigars?

Or does it mean it's from someone completely new to Dan, i.e. none of the cigars he's currently carrying. This is how I originally took it, until I saw the vitola names and bands ...

Dread

I sell cigars
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I honestly dont see how it couldnt be Viaje. Why would NHC do something that would potentially make one of their best sellers not want to work with them?

Reeve11

crookedburn
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Thanks for the review but I'm a little confused. I like spice in a cigar but I dislike black pepper. Correct me if I'm wrong but you seem to use the two interchangeably.
you're right on calling me out on that. I do seem to use those two interchangeably sometimes. And to make it more confusing when I write spice in different reviews and can mean different things. Sorry about that.

In this stick, the spice was black pepper for me.

Dan

Rating - 96.7%
32   1   0
I smoke plenty of the "donkey droppings". They taste like a generic Raices blend. Alot of the cigars coming from the Raices factory have a similar taste to me. They are def not a viaje though. Di Fazio maybe? I have no idea. Kind of tastes like a watered down Illusione to me as well.

I will be trying to get my hands on one of these though so I can try it. Surrogates is a poor name choice though, as well as that horrid labeling.

Reeve11

crookedburn
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I think elaborating/reiterating things that he's said in other places. Explaining the names, etc. As for the factory, that's not happening soon it seems.
oh, ok. You were not talking about "clearing up" the only real question that has been going on in this thread :p I must have took your post the wrong way.

Dan

thegoldenmackid

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
oh, ok. You were not talking about "clearing up" the only real question that has been going on in this thread :p I must have took your post the wrong way.

Dan
I should have just called you, if only I had a piece of cardboard/paper with your phone number on it.

I think there's a valid discussion of (presuming this isn't a Viaje):
  • Are the band too much?
  • Why the first word in each of the vitolas are "Skull" & "Bones" respectively?

One can only imagine if roles were reversed and Farkas had been the one with things seemingly very close.

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
I should have just called you, if only I had a piece of cardboard/paper with your phone number on it.

• Are the band too much?

One can only imagine if roles were reversed and Farkas had been the one with things seemingly very close.
Again, just wondering why you are presuming it isn't Viaje (even if it's sort of unofficial, like the ELs and ELOs are).

thegoldenmackid

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Again, just wondering why you are presuming it isn't Viaje (even if it's sort of unofficial, like the ELs and ELOs are).
I take Dan's word as truth:
-He's already worked with Viaje, including a NHC exclusive
-He's already worked with Raíces for a house brand

In addition, the reasoning he gave me behind the names/fonts seems to not make sense in playing, the unofficial Viaje housebrand card.

Reeve11

crookedburn
Rating - 100%
3   0   0

• Are the band too much?

calm down Charlie, I'm just messing with you.

Rating - 100%
50   0   0

In addition, the reasoning he gave me behind the names/fonts seems to not make sense in playing, the unofficial Viaje housebrand card.

What was the NHC exclusvie Viaje?

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0

It all depends on what he meant by "A new source for me," as I said in the previous post.

If "new" does mean completely new and never-ever worked-with before, then that's interesting and cool in terms of the cigar, but I would be very concerned about the obvious similarities here.

Rating - 100%
45   0   0
It all depends on what he meant by "A new source for me," as I said in the previous post.

If "new" does mean completely new and never-ever worked-with before, then that's interesting and cool in terms of the cigar, but I would be very concerned about the obvious similarities here.
I agree. The blatant similarities kind of bother me if it isnt from the same maker. The entire presentation of these cigars resemble the Viaje Skull & Bones.

I ordered a sampler and I should be able to tell pretty quickly if it resembles something I have had before.

raspol

No problem.
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I ordered mine this morning, and already marked as shipped. Gotta love Dan.

I read through this thread, so don't quote this thread and tell me why it can't be, but...

It would be cool if it was Pete and he was getting back at Andre for all of the Viaje cigars that have striking similarities to Tatuaje.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I want to try them. Yeah the price is high for a house blend, but from what Ive heard the NHC house blends are worth the money. That said I dont really have to 45 to soend on a six pack right now.