What's new

Nickleback hating?

SouthernerInSask

© MCMLXI
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I guess Ive been hearing it for a year or two, but it just recently occurred to me that there are alot of people on the radio & tv that have a dislike for Nickleback. I have never heard a reason for their dislike.

Im just curious as to when & why did it become hip to dislike this band? Thanks for any input...

Rating - 100%
74   0   0
Well, I do hate Nickelback, but I kinda agree with your basic premise, which is that they're not that much worse than the rest of the garbage that passes for rock these days. I think they have a certain earnestness that makes them an easy target.

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
I agree with the above. But also, It's going to depend, I think, on where you are in life, as well.
Me, I don't own any GAGA but, I give her credit. I think Sonny Moore is good ! I wouldn't buy any Skrillex, but I think it's kinda cool. I can listen to the Cars say that " I don't mind you coming here and wasting alll my time "...But with Nickelback, I'm over 50, and listening to some 45 year old guy still moaning about a photograph of some failed romance in high school 30 yrs ago... I'm just not in-line with that.

My son was into music, and into one particular genre. But would not put an ear to anything else. I told him " son, you're painting with only one crayon At least let something else influence you'
They all do it. You got Zep playing sitars in India, singing about Modor, Beatles spending months for spiritual exploration with the Maha Risshiu or whatever. I'm listening to Puddles the clown, Sex Pistols, Sabbath, Bangarang, Robert Fripp, Doors, Tendencies, Biskit. Filter, jazz.. In 2002 I saw the Pipes of the Grenedere guards. Even some Dead. Jeeze ! I listened to a Phish clip the other day, right here. @sanity . But Nickleback.. it's like they're on a HO train track going around in a circle. If Nickelback brings you joy, then I'm glad they are here for you. Really you are free to enjoy what you wish. But you did post the question looking for opinion. Me? they seem to be like a cheap cigar. Single dimensional. They just don't take me anywhere. Maybe i'm just cracked... I dunno.

SouthernerInSask

© MCMLXI
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
But you did post the question looking for opinion..
Thats exactly it. I dont have a dog in this hunt - i like some of their songs, i dont like some of their songs, so if anyone wants to bash them, it wont hurt my feelings a bit.

Im just trying to find out why this particular band gets so many disparaging comments, especially from those in the public eye/ear

SDShark

BoM May '14
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
To me, Nickelback has always sounded like a mashup of different genres. You can label them as "rock" or even "soft rock", but when I have heard them, it always sounds like a mix of country, christian, alternative. It also sounds really generic to me. Their tracks send mixed emotions to me, for instance, you might hear an almost heavy power chord, but the singer sounds like he's whining. I don't know if I should be sad for him, or try to head-bang? I don't know. It's hard for me to understand (but their music is not complex) if that makes sense.

No offense to their fans. Just my .02.

SouthernerInSask

© MCMLXI
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
A radio station here in Dallas played two of their songs together. The only thing different was the lyrics. They are a formula song players.
Your post gets to the heart of what Im trying to find... I agree they are formula song players, (as is almost every band out there to a degree) but the main point is - why would the radio station give a rats ass if the songs are similar, other than to try and show how cool they are by hating on Nickleback?

It's odd but I have heard that some people don't like them because their lyrics rhyme too well.
Well that is odd lol...but at least its a reason. You probably know who John Gormley is right? (conservative talk show host) I even heard him knocking them on his radio show the other day for cryin ot loud...

Ducttapegonewild

Actual Size
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
Your post gets to the heart of what Im trying to find... I agree they are formula song players, (as is almost every band out there to a degree) but the main point is - why would the radio station give a rats ass if the songs are similar, other than to try and show how cool they are by hating on Nickleback?
Simply because Nickleback is trying to be a "Rock Band" yet playing formulaic music. Rock is about the rebellion against the norm, yet Nickleback is trying to rebel against the norm while being the norm. Make sense?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A radio station here in Dallas played two of their songs together. The only thing different was the lyrics. They are a formula song players.
Exactly. I think a lot of people think their songs sound the same. I remember a few years ago, they seemed to have a new hit single that was overplayed on the radio and TV, to the point where people became tired of hearing so much Nickleback.

The band seems to try too hard to be "heavy", yet the lyrics and singing is pretty whiny because they seem to be trying to cater to the average mainstream radio listener.