What's new

No Question is a Stupid Question Thread

Rating - 100%
59   0   0
When a brother puts a cigar out early, they say they MU'd it. For the life of me, I can't figure out the abbreviation. What is it?

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
Why does Sean have such a hard on about the term Cali?
I don't know how many times I've answered this... I'm surprised no one took a stab at the answer.

Place names are important to Geographers. Shortening place names to create nicknames, like Cali, Philly, Chi-town, San Fran, 'Frisco, "the Dam", etc..., is like calling "Robert" "Bob." Some Bobs, don't mind while others do and, thanks to their agency, they have the ability to tell you so. No place can tell you if it likes you "shortening" it's name, so to continue to use the informal name is disrespectful to the place. The place was given a name for a reason and so it should only be called by that name, or an abbreviation.

At the same time, I don't mind certain nicknames being ascribed to places based on happenings, or cultural observances associated with that specific place. These nicknames would include things like Tinseltown, Beantown, the Big Apple, the Windy City, etc...

Clint

Clint
Rating - 100%
206   0   1
I don't know how many times I've answered this... I'm surprised no one took a stab at the answer.

Place names are important to Geographers. Shortening place names to create nicknames, like Cali, Philly, Chi-town, San Fran, 'Frisco, "the Dam", etc..., is like calling "Robert" "Bob." Some Bobs, don't mind while others do and, thanks to their agency, they have the ability to tell you so. No place can tell you if it likes you "shortening" it's name, so to continue to use the informal name is disrespectful to the place. The place was given a name for a reason and so it should only be called by that name, or an abbreviation.

At the same time, I don't mind certain nicknames being ascribed to places based on happenings, or cultural observances associated with that specific place. These nicknames would include things like Tinseltown, Beantown, the Big Apple, the Windy City, etc...
So, you do not like California to be Called Cali?

Hoshneer

Drew Estate NotRex
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
When a brother puts a cigar out early, they say they MU'd it. For the life of me, I can't figure out the abbreviation. What is it?
I think this was named after a member I haven't seen in a long time. I am trying hard to remember I think it was @MUMike but not sure. I am pretty sure he was known to throw out great cigars if they didn't hit his profile right. Anyone else remember?

luckysaturn13

Smoke it if ya got it!
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Can we still ask stupid questions? ?

Why is it that when you expect the ash to fall it stays solid as rock, but when you think it will stay it always fall on your lap?
Or worst, in your drink?
Ikr! Im still working on figuring this out. I tried to use it as an excuse to up my cigar budget but the better half said no....

now that theres a new puff, will all the puff refugees leave here?
Shit there back on? Gtg was nice meeting yas! jkjk I feel like this is my new home! I really enjoy it here.

SouthernerInSask

© MCMLXI
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I would guess the answer to your question is some will, some wont. I dont think people are drawn to a certain site just for the site itself. Some have made many friends there & have built relationships that they do not wish to give up, just because of a server being shut off.

If one can make friends there, one can make friends here also, so there is no reason to abandon BOTL. After all, we are here for the same reason eh?

Last edited:

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
I was there when this term was coined, what a great day that was...
Here are a few links that will help out with that
http://www.botl.org/threads/mud.58110/
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=MUD&defid=6026840
There also was coined the term "JFire'd" that day which goes directly in hand with a MU'd cigar
http://www.botl.org/threads/terrible-feeling.68409/page-2#post-1253585

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
No!
Although there were/are relationships that were forged over there and will be resumed on the new site, we (at least I do!) appreciate the bonds that were made here as well. The Brotherly love for the leaf and relationships are what it's about.
As you'll know, there are some REALLY good people here! Hope to continue to learn and share the love of the leaf and all life things.

Rating - 100%
59   0   0
I was there when this term was coined, what a great day that was...
Here are a few links that will help out with that
http://www.botl.org/threads/mud.58110/
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=MUD&defid=6026840
There also was coined the term "JFire'd" that day which goes directly in hand with a MU'd cigar
http://www.botl.org/threads/terrible-feeling.68409/page-2#post-1253585
Thanks to everyone for the answers. I saw this term used several times, and although the meaning was clear, I couldn't figure it out. I thought, "Well it's obviously a common enough phrase that they just abbreviate it and no one questions it. I must be a moron." (Still might be.) I tried searching it and obviously a lot of posts by MU Mike came up. I didn't know if he took his name from it, or it was from his name. Thanks for the history lesson.