What's new

Officially a home owner

Angry Bill

2x BoM, BoY '08
Staff member
Rating - 100%
201   0   0
Very cool brother. Remember, do the important repairs/upgrades that will allow you to live in the house. You can always paint as you go and do smaller repairs. Home ownership costs money, but that investment is well worth it. Congrats brother.

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
Congrats brother, looks nice! I just bought my first home back in April, and it's a rush.

Best advice I've received yet as a new homeowner, has been to just enjoy it, and take my time getting settled in. (Outside of cleaning/fixing/doing things that need to be done prior to moving in, of course.) Having followed that advice, I still have lots of stuff in boxes and relatively empty closets, but I'm enjoying the process of figuring out where to put things and making it my home.

Rating - 94.7%
20   1   0
Thanks everyone!

Congrats on the new money pit! Once the repairs are done, it will be totally worth it!

#theregoesthecigarmoney
No kidding.. Gonna be smoking through what I have for a little bit. This one is a foreclosure and I have $5k of escrow money to do some work I have to have done in 30 days so it'll be a busy 30 days.

By the way... What's that new addy? Everyone needs a house warming gift
Haha it'll be 30 days before I'm in so I'm not sure I trust bombs landing in the new mailbox just yet but if it's all like before this addy will make the rounds like a cheap whore before long.

+1 and Congrats on your new home!!!! Hopefully room for a little smoking lounge too!? :cigar:
For now the garage will have to do for a lounge. Once I get some upgrades done I may refinance and take out some equity to put on an addition with a nice big lounge. I have big plans but the kids rooms come first.

Needs Mailbox
Hahaha it's there, just on the other side of the driveway.

Congratulations! What repairs do you have to do to?
I have escrow money for putting in about 700 sq ft of laminate and replacing the busted water heater with a tankless one as well as replacing some of the siding on the sides and back. I am also going to be ripping out the master tub and putting in a large walk-in tiled shower after we get moved in.

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
I have escrow money for putting in about 700 sq ft of laminate and replacing the busted water heater with a tankless one as well as replacing some of the siding on the sides and back. I am also going to be ripping out the master tub and putting in a large walk-in tiled shower after we get moved in.
Maybe add that ceiling heater-blower-fan into the budget for years of mold-free bathroom adventure.
Congrats, !!!

PetersCreek

Brother Borealis
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I am also going to be ripping out the master tub and putting in a large walk-in tiled shower after we get moved in.
Have you done a tiled shower before? I tore out and replaced our master tile shower and learned some lessons in the process. I discovered the Schluter Kerdi products too late for that project but if I ever do another, that's the way I'm going.

Rating - 94.7%
20   1   0
Have you done a tiled shower before? I tore out and replaced our master tile shower and learned some lessons in the process. I discovered the Schluter Kerdi products too late for that project but if I ever do another, that's the way I'm going.
No that's something I haven't done. What products specifically of theirs do you mean?

PetersCreek

Brother Borealis
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I was referring to their shower system products like the Kerdi membrane, Kerdi-Board, and shower pan kits. I rebuilt my shower the old fashioned way: built-up curb, deck mud pre-slope, PVC liner, deck mud over that, Hardiebacker on the walls for tile, etc. I schlepped a lot of heavy stuff up those stairs, lemme tell ya. The Kerdi products would have lightened the load considerably and made things go much faster. They're pricier than traditional products but it would have been well worth it to me.

I have used their Ditra floor tile underlayment on the floors for our master suite remodel, rather than Hardiebacker. It's lightweight, cuts with a utility knife, and you don't have to have drive a million cement board screws. You put it down with thin set. It was a real back and knee saver when I tiled the master bedroom:

That's almost 320 ft² of floor. If I had lugged that much backer board upstairs and screwed it down, I think I'd be crippled now.

I've also used their transition profiles and edge trim...and if I had to do it over again, I'd take hard look at the in-floor heating system.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Congratulations brother! That is a huge accomplishment. I have done my fair share of home projects from finishing basements to re-doing floors. The only things I don't play with are electrical and plumbing. Here is wishing you fast completion of your products and minimal blisters, cuts, and bruises.