What's new

Officially a home owner

Rating - 94.7%
20   1   0
Got the old water heater torn out last night. Now just to shorten the water supply lines and get to work installing the tankless heater. Renting a floor scraper to remove old wood floors and waiting on the flooring to arrive. Scraped all the popcorn shit off the ceilings so we can paint them and get started painting walls as well.

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Congrats bro! It is a great feeling not wasting money on rent anymore.
When my wife and I bought our house it was a repo bu not in too bad of shape. The bank told us that we had to put in railing around the front porch, replace 2 pieces of warped siding and put a plastic moisture bearier under the house before we could buy it. And we could not do it ourselves. So we made a fake invoice for a handy man and did it anyway.
Come to find out a year later there was actually fire damage in the attic that they did not show on the home inspection. Seems like that would have been more pressing that warped siding.
Anyway, have fun doing your work. I enjoy that kind of stuff myself.

slave2theaxe

Anything worth doing is worth overdoing
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Congrats! I'm 38 and still not a homeowner. The uncertainty of being in the military has always swayed me from buying... Maybe once I retire...
Congrats again!

Rating - 94.7%
20   1   0
Congrats! I'm 38 and still not a homeowner. The uncertainty of being in the military has always swayed me from buying... Maybe once I retire...
Congrats again!
You could always find something to buy somewhere you like and rent it out until you're ready. Let someone start paying your mortgage for you lol

The Munt

Observe everything. Listen intently.
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Enjoy mate, it's a good feeling and guarenteed savings. An important move in setting yourself up and I bet you are glad you'll never have to deal with real estate people again :)

Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Have you done a tiled shower before? I tore out and replaced our master tile shower and learned some lessons in the process. I discovered the Schluter Kerdi products too late for that project but if I ever do another, that's the way I'm going.
I was referring to their shower system products like the Kerdi membrane, Kerdi-Board, and shower pan kits. I rebuilt my shower the old fashioned way: built-up curb, deck mud pre-slope, PVC liner, deck mud over that, Hardiebacker on the walls for tile, etc. I schlepped a lot of heavy stuff up those stairs, lemme tell ya. The Kerdi products would have lightened the load considerably and made things go much faster. They're pricier than traditional products but it would have been well worth it to me.

I have used their Ditra floor tile underlayment on the floors for our master suite remodel, rather than Hardiebacker. It's lightweight, cuts with a utility knife, and you don't have to have drive a million cement board screws. You put it down with thin set. It was a real back and knee saver when I tiled the master bedroom:

That's almost 320 ft² of floor. If I had lugged that much backer board upstairs and screwed it down, I think I'd be crippled now.

I've also used their transition profiles and edge trim...and if I had to do it over again, I'd take hard look at the in-floor heating system.
I highly recommend this stuff as well, the shower systems are a no brainer. I'm going to do a bathroom remodel this year and this is one of the first things I'm buying. All there stuff is very easy to use and there customer service is awesome.

Rating - 94.7%
20   1   0
Updated the second post with pics of the flooring that is done. Turned out pretty good. The only time in the last month that I've even had to relax and smoke was in Nashville 2 weeks ago. Haven't been able to get on here much at all but I've still tried to check in and read things. Having withdrawals

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Looks awesome! I've been remodeling our house over the last few years room by room. I'm remodeling a large family room right now and know how rewarding it is to see progress.