What's new

Open Forum on Cigar Trends...

BrooksW

BoM June '09
Rating - 100%
131   0   0
Certainly not...Smoke what you love, love what you smoke ;)

However, I would be willing to bet a 5 pack that if someone took a survey of smokers who have been smoking for 5 years or longer, the VAST majority of them (75%ish) would say that they smoke more smaller RG cigars (say, under 48RG) then larger (50RG and over)...It seems to me that as people smoke longer, they start smoking smaller rg (for the most part) when they have a choice...

Gee, based on what i'm reading here, i'm almost afraid to admit i like to smoke larger ring gauges ........Are you going to take me less seriously because i enjoy the 60 RG's ??? Does this make me less of a BOTL ??? i sure hope not !!! I don't I'm less of a serious smoker ....... I also dont think i'm givin in to a gimmick, i just occasionally enjoy a large ring size .......

Sorry to get off topic ..........

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a good point Tom, the OP is asking the questions because he is working on "new concepts", rather than worry about what's hot and what's not, why not just make a good cigar?

**the following has been added for comedic value, not to be taken seriously**

And for the answers you were looking for according to this thread:

1. No crazy shapes
2. No big ring gauges
3. No fancy boxes/bands
4. Include a Corona even if the blend profile doesn't work
5. No crazy name
6. No crazy marketing campaign
7. Blend sheet and history of the cigar/company/blender/roller/buncher included in every box
8. 10 count boxes
While I agree that there is an abundance of contrived "gimmicky" releases and packaging the reality is that ultimately this is a business. Not from the standpoint of scalp 'em and run - but you need cash flow to purchase and age tobaccos, subsidize farmers willing to grow difficult tobaccos that are susceptible to blue mold, build an inventory, etc. I'm not interested in making a quick buck - I want to leave a mark on an industry I'm extremely passionate about. I care more about the opinions of BOTL members than focus groups, trends, etc...I just want to know what people think about our industry so I can keep it in mind when working on new blends.

One thing I will make clear, for me it's not about creating the strongest stick, "oily" wrappers or ritzy packaging. I want to put out flavorful smokes at reasonable prices. But from a tradition standpoint everything is on the table. I'm not afraid to be different if it's utility based.

My second release will be in 10 count boxes and I had planned that months ago - glad to see the consensus agree with it. I think it makes it much more accessible.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Viaje has taken the LE thing too far, imo. It seems like they're going downhill in the flavor department too.

Personally, I'd like to see more PC, Corona and Corona grande cigars...and more perfectos. Perfectos were all the rage 100 years ago, why not now?

I'd also like to see more Sumatra leaf. It's a very undervalued wrapper leaf, in my opinion.
My own personal suspicion is that Andre might be having a hard time getting large runs out of Raices. They're producing all of the AB product, Illusione and several other brands. His small batch model might be the best fit for his production. Andre is an innovator and his creativity and drive are very inspiring to me.

Again, just my opinion...not necessarily rooted in fact.

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
I see it every day, new products arrive, some are hits and some are misses. I have been fortunate to meet a lot of guys behind the brands and they all are passionate about what they do and stand behind their products. Some of which many here wouldn't even consider spending their money on.

The bottom line is a good cigar will rise above the hype, marketing and window dressing if it is a good cigar. I think a lot of the members of botl.org see through all that. I would trust the recommendation of most of the guys here over a magazine or blog. But, taste is such a subjective thing and varies broadly among cigar smokers, so you will get a lot of different opinions regarding any cigar

Tonight I hung out with a guy I met through the shop who only smokes Nub Habano 466's. While that falls in the category of "gimmick" cigars, this guy loves that damn cigar and will smoke it until it burns his fingers then light another! If it wasn't for cigars I never would have met this guy and he is one of the coolest cats I know, always has a funny story and a great guy to hang around. So if "gimmicks" and other things bring people in to the market then so be it, we all started somewhere.

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Gee, based on what i'm reading here, i'm almost afraid to admit i like to smoke larger ring gauges ........Are you going to take me less seriously because i enjoy the 60 RG's ??? Does this make me less of a BOTL ??? i sure hope not !!! I don't I'm less of a serious smoker ....... I also dont think i'm givin in to a gimmick, i just occasionally enjoy a large ring size .......

Sorry to get off topic ..........
Not at all, bro, I was talking about guys who fall into bravado peer pressure concerning their smokes. Or, somehow think the size of their cigar somehow correlates to the size of their penis.

I think we can all agree with the saying so often repeated on this forum - "Smoke what you like, and like what you smoke" If that's the reason you're making the choices you are concerning the smokes you enjoy and prefer, then you're making the correct choice, simple as that.

thegoldenmackid

Why Can't I be a Lancero?
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Certainly not...Smoke what you love, love what you smoke ;)

However, I would be willing to bet a 5 pack that if someone took a survey of smokers who have been smoking for 5 years or longer, the VAST majority of them (75%ish) would say that they smoke more smaller RG cigars (say, under 48RG) then larger (50RG and over)...It seems to me that as people smoke longer, they start smoking smaller rg (for the most part) when they have a choice...
Not entirely with you in regards to the survey. Can think of countless smokers who are larger RG fans, i.e. 56+, let alone those who enjoy 52/54. Under 48 is an odd cut-off, particularly since it excludes Robusto and Toro in their classic forms.

I do not think that it is the smokes less than five cigars a year crowd who is responsible for the 60RG sales or at least the main force. From my own sort of experience, that crowd is still in the Robusto, Toro, Churchill range. I think there's a group of regular cigar smokers who enjoy those sorts of sizes.

A quick survey of what lines are being released in 60RG I think supports the idea that would suggest it's not just the casual/special occasion smoker that is gravitating to the 60RGs: Tatuaje, LFD, NUb/Cain, Quesada, MUWAT, etc.

Those are not the Reserva Reals, Macanudo, Montecristo Whites that you would recommend to the casual smoker. In fact, it wasn't until last year that we saw Reserva Real in 60 RG and Macanudo Café didn't get it until this year.

Last edited:

BrooksW

BoM June '09
Rating - 100%
131   0   0
Not entirely with you in regards to the survey. Can think of countless smokers who are larger RG fans, i.e. 56+, let alone those who enjoy 52/54. Under 48 is an odd cut-off, particularly since it excludes Robusto and Toro in their classic forms.
That is a good point, but I stand by my assertion :)

If I am not too lazy today, I will put up a survey and we will see :)

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
That is a good point, but I stand by my assertion :)

If I am not too lazy today, I will put up a survey and we will see :)
Definitely I agree with Brooks here. I started off by smoking 52+ but after trying 48-, you get to flavor the cigars more...and enjoy them better, and since I don't mind about my pride, hahaha, I can smoke a corona in front of my buddies. But yeah, I would prefer 48rg and less

gibbleguts

BoM april 09
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
I would put some big restrictions on what Brooks has said. I think he is probably right for smokers who have smoked over 5 years and actively search for more knowledge. Working in a B&M most of our long time smokers are robustos or bigger. Have at least one that has smoked a box of JDN magnums since they came out. Before that he still smoked gran consuls. I would say it splits pretty evenly even with long term smokers.

Goes with Habanos assault on smaller rg cigars. They just don't sell as well.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i too would like to see more of the traditional cuban sizes. i am a huge fan of the lonesdales and those are hard to find in non-cuban cigars.

i do agree that the large rings are in style right now and it makes sense that they are. i mean, a larger ring usually means a cooler smoke so it is easier to not pay as much attention to the cigar as you smoke it. that crowd that isnt as hard core as most folks on cigars forums so it is an obvious choice for those guys. for those that are on the forums i see a trend for the smaller rings.

i guess what i am saying is that i want more options for everyone. keep the big rings but give the option for the nerds among us.

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
Bull shit EL and RE type smokes. I am sick of the limited edition crap being marked up for profit. OR the hype surrounding a stick that jacks up the price. No thanks, I still to regular stuff.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I personally think I do see the same trend that Brooks sees with some smokers gravitating towards smaller RG's after a while. Could be because the palate gets "calloused" for some of us. I also see a lot of newer smokers trending towards the 56+ size smokes... It seems the reason all makers are doing them, IS because they ARE selling them. I think it possibly has to do with most of the larger smokes are more muted IMO, & are more easy on the casual smokers palate.

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
I see the big RG trend as simply the same as the 08 trend of Lanceros and such around that time period. They're selling now but I would tend to think the classic lines will come back stronger in a few years IMO.

gibbleguts

BoM april 09
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
I see the big RG trend as simply the same as the 08 trend of Lanceros and such around that time period. They're selling now but I would tend to think the classic lines will come back stronger in a few years IMO.
Funny I have heard both you and Brooks say that a 52 rg cigar was one of if not the best cigar you have ever smoked.

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
Funny I have heard both you and Brooks say that a 52 rg cigar was one of if not the best cigar you have ever smoked.
While deffinitely a true statement you will find most of my purchases the last 2 years or more (90% or higher) would be cg or less in size. Party Shorts, Cohiba sig II, JL#1s, Hupmann Mag 46s, Party 898Vs, Party Pces. Exception would be the cab of Rass and Cab of Party Lusis I bought for long term (10 years of more).
BTW I also just recently said that the Upmann Noella was a gift from the gods and in my top 3. Someone left that out of his statement. :)

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Would love to see all bands have at least a year date on them. As blends mature I have seen countless examples of the blend changing for the better or worse over time. So year date on the band would allow us to better stay on top of which releases we like more and then stock up.