What's new

Operation Esteli 14 Photo Recap

Rating - 100%
69   0   0
I am going to try my best to put some words with this, but I am by no means a wordsmith. For those of you that are new to this community and don't know about OE, please take the time to see what is was all about.
http://www.botl.org/threads/botl-gives-back-operation-esteli-2014.73575/
http://www.botl.org/threads/operation-esteli-2014-final-results.74474/

Gearing up for this trip to visit Nicaragua for the first time the excitement was very high. As a cigar enthusiast this is somewhere that you always hear about and images of grand tobacco fields, rollers at their tables and cigars run ramped in ones mind. The thought of the country and its well being honestly never crossed my mind much before OE was born.

As I learned more and more information of Esteli and its people, my thoughts turned from cigars to families and children. I have never personally visited a 3rd world country before and have only seen images & videos from stories online and T.V. These few experience don't hold anything to the experiences of truly witnessing it first hand.

BOTL Operation Esteli
by yodismatt

Driving the cobble stone streets and seeing the dilapidated builds, roads that turn into non navigable paths full of holes and garbage and innocent children living in sub par shacks, it really started to sink in, these people need our help.

While at the school we met with the organization Fabretto, where we learned more about them as they also learned about BOTL and what OE was really about. I came into this thinking that they were just helping the children with their educational needs as well as trying to provide them with a solid meal each day. In reality they do so much more.

BOTL Operation Esteli
by yodismatt

BOTL Operation Esteli
by yodismatt

I was taken back and heavily impressed with their drive to help not only the children but also follow up with their whole family. I believe that their mission statement says it all, “Fabretto's mission is to empower children and their families in Nicaragua to reach their full potential and improve their livelihoods through education and nutrition”.

They do this through 5 programs; Early and Primary Education Enrichment, Rural Secondary Education, Vocational and Life Skills Education, Food Security and Nutrition and Community Well-being and Development. The fact that it extends to the family and community as whole made me feel even more confident in OE working with them.

Something that I believe took us all back was the fact the children may start their day with a cup of coffee and toast...if lucky. Then on top of that the school still struggles to provide them with a fully nutritious meal. Most meals consist of just simple rice and beans with a glass of water but maybe once a month they may get to have chicken as well.

Here I am thinking about how I start to get “hangery” if I go to long with out a meal or a snack and they are lucky to have chicken once a month for lunch. At this time I was going from talking with everyone in the office to watching and photographing some children playing in the front of the school. It all started to sink in pretty heavy for me and I sworn something must have gotten into my eyes.

BOTL Operation Esteli
by yodismatt, on Flickr

BOTL Operation Esteli
by yodismatt, on Flickr

As I watched the group of children dribble a half flat worn out basketball, smiles were restored with the joy and excitement they had form making a basket. Then to the side a group of boys were playing a game with marbles, the game I am unsure of as it seems it is something they may have invented. They would first try to sink their marble into a little crater in the dirt. Once they did they were then in a race to try and hit the only solid white marble that was randomly throw somewhere in the playing field.

BOTL Operation Esteli
by yodismatt, on Flickr

BOTL Operation Esteli
by yodismatt, on Flickr

No steady food for them to eat, no fancy house to go to after school, no fancy electronic gadgets to play with and all of these kids were seemingly carefree, happy and full of life.

BOTL Operation Esteli
by yodismatt, on Flickr

BOTL Operation Esteli
by yodismatt, on Flickr

We then crossed the small campus to visit their lunch room. The children stood lined up waiting for their plate and cup in front of a small prep and cooking area. We walked the length of the room past old wooden tables and benches butted up to one another. At the ever end I saw a little girl sitting alone and eating her lunch. I knelt down smiled and proceeded to take a portrait of her. She timidly watched me, as I then showed her the photo her eyes lit up and a smile formed. This... this right here is my most loved and favorite photo I have ever taken of anyone. No it isn't because of how it came out, it isn't a perfectly constructed photo. It gave someone something they have never had before, it told a true story and has so much emotion behind it for me.

BOTL Operation Esteli
by yodismatt, on Flickr

BOTL Operation Esteli
by yodismatt, on Flickr

BOTL Operation Esteli
by yodismatt, on Flickr

As I took more photos the children began to warm up, they would allow me to snap off a shot and then eagerly wait to see the results. My heart warmed as they all began to smile and laugh, grabbing their friends and wanting a photo of them together. Once again showing me how such a simple thing means so much to these children.

BOTL Operation Esteli
by yodismatt, on Flickr

BOTL Operation Esteli
by yodismatt, on Flickr

BOTL Operation Esteli
by yodismatt, on Flickr

BOTL Operation Esteli
by yodismatt, on Flickr

BOTL Operation Esteli
by yodismatt, on Flickr

BOTL Operation Esteli
by yodismatt, on Flickr

BOTL Operation Esteli
by yodismatt, on Flickr

Rating - 100%
69   0   0
We were then fortunate enough to gather a large group in front of the school for a photo with the representatives of OE and the children. I then found myself in a swarm of kids laughing and having a blast with their friends. Rushing around, grabbing their friends and posing for shots. I think I could have stayed there all day doing this for them! Next time I think instant prints might be in order.

BOTL Operation Esteli
by yodismatt, on Flickr

BOTL Operation Esteli
by yodismatt, on Flickr

BOTL Operation Esteli
by yodismatt, on Flickr

BOTL Operation Esteli
by yodismatt, on Flickr

BOTL Operation Esteli
by yodismatt, on Flickr

BOTL Operation Esteli
by yodismatt, on Flickr

BOTL Operation Esteli
by yodismatt, on Flickr

BOTL Operation Esteli
by yodismatt, on Flickr

BOTL Operation Esteli
by yodismatt, on Flickr

Right before we were going to leave and head to see another school, Joel had handed out a baseball to one young boy. He was so elated with his gift that he then asked for Joel and all of us from BOTL to please sign his ball. This only cemented how appreciative these children really are for any small thing.

The second school we visited was further out of the city and down a road I couldn't imagine having to travel on a daily basis. We passed houses that were constructed of scrap wood, blankets and tarps. Trash and debris lined most of this street and the surrounding areas around this shacks. The school was much smaller than the last and had a 2 field areas where they taught farming. The only person there was watching over the facility and working in the fields.

BOTL Operation Esteli
by yodismatt, on Flickr

BOTL Operation Esteli
by yodismatt, on Flickr

BOTL Operation Esteli
by yodismatt, on Flickr

BOTL Operation Esteli
by yodismatt, on Flickr

BOTL Operation Esteli
by yodismatt, on Flickr

BOTL Operation Esteli
by yodismatt, on Flickr

BOTL Operation Esteli
by yodismatt, on Flickr

BOTL Operation Esteli
by yodismatt, on Flickr

BOTL Operation Esteli
by yodismatt, on Flickr

BOTL Operation Esteli
by yodismatt, on Flickr

BOTL Operation Esteli
by yodismatt, on Flickr

Rating - 100%
69   0   0

BOTL Operation Esteli
by yodismatt, on Flickr

We visited three homes that TECHO has built that day, each one housed a number of people. These “homes” were nothing more than 4 walls, a wooden floor, a door and maybe a window. I didn't catch the measurements of the homes but they must have only been about 20ft wide by 8ft deep and 8ft high.

BOTL Operation Esteli
by yodismatt, on Flickr

BOTL Operation Esteli
by yodismatt, on Flickr

BOTL Operation Esteli
by yodismatt, on Flickr

Our stay was brief here but it was long enough to see that their facilities could use a lot of help.

The following day we had a chance to meet up with the second organization we donated to, TECHO. TECHO is a nonprofit organization that mobilizes youth volunteers to fight extreme poverty in Latin America, by constructing transitional housing and implementing social inclusion programs (thanks Wiki!).

BOTL Operation Esteli
by yodismatt, on Flickr

Once again, I hadn't researched this organization past knowing they built homes for those in need. But they do so much more than that in each of the communities with finding out what else is needed, helping set up communication internally between everyone and guiding them in figuring out how to find solutions for needs within their community.

BOTL Operation Esteli
by yodismatt, on Flickr

BOTL Operation Esteli
by yodismatt, on Flickr

BOTL Operation Esteli
by yodismatt, on Flickr

BOTL Operation Esteli
by yodismatt, on Flickr

BOTL Operation Esteli
by yodismatt, on Flickr

BOTL Operation Esteli
by yodismatt, on Flickr

BOTL Operation Esteli
by yodismatt, on Flickr

BOTL Operation Esteli
by yodismatt, on Flickr

BOTL Operation Esteli
by yodismatt, on Flickr

BOTL Operation Esteli
by yodismatt, on Flickr

BOTL Operation Esteli
by yodismatt, on Flickr

BOTL Operation Esteli
by yodismatt, on Flickr

BOTL Operation Esteli
by yodismatt, on Flickr

BOTL Operation Esteli
by yodismatt, on Flickr

BOTL Operation Esteli
by yodismatt, on Flickr

Rating - 100%
69   0   0

BOTL Operation Esteli
by yodismatt, on Flickr

These families with out a second thought opened their homes for us to see. You could tell how proud of it they were as well, as they have some claim to them. Before TECHO builds a home for someone, that person much own that land first. Then they would customize the home with making partitions, cooking area and sleep quarters.

BOTL Operation Esteli
by yodismatt, on Flickr

BOTL Operation Esteli
by yodismatt, on Flickr

BOTL Operation Esteli
by yodismatt, on Flickr

BOTL Operation Esteli
by yodismatt, on Flickr

BOTL Operation Esteli
by yodismatt, on Flickr

I am not as informed as the other brothers as I took a lot of time photographing with my camera and my eyes. I took the time to look around and really let it soak in. These people don't have much and what they do have they use in every way they can. They are very resourceful, proud and humble.

BOTL Operation Esteli
by yodismatt, on Flickr

BOTL Operation Esteli
by yodismatt, on Flickr

BOTL Operation Esteli
by yodismatt, on Flickr

BOTL Operation Esteli
by yodismatt, on Flickr

BOTL Operation Esteli
by yodismatt, on Flickr

BOTL Operation Esteli
by yodismatt, on Flickr

BOTL Operation Esteli
by yodismatt, on Flickr

BOTL Operation Esteli
by yodismatt, on Flickr

BOTL Operation Esteli
by yodismatt, on Flickr

BOTL Operation Esteli
by yodismatt, on Flickr

BOTL Operation Esteli
by yodismatt, on Flickr

BOTL Operation Esteli
by yodismatt, on Flickr

BOTL Operation Esteli
by yodismatt, on Flickr

BOTL Operation Esteli
by yodismatt, on Flickr

Rating - 100%
69   0   0

BOTL Operation Esteli
by yodismatt, on Flickr

BOTL Operation Esteli
by yodismatt, on Flickr

BOTL Operation Esteli
by yodismatt, on Flickr

BOTL Operation Esteli
by yodismatt, on Flickr

We then offered up a soccer ball to this community for the kids. They were so excited they ran off to play in a field.

BOTL Operation Esteli
by yodismatt, on Flickr

BOTL Operation Esteli
by yodismatt, on Flickr

BOTL Operation Esteli
by yodismatt, on Flickr

Handing out simple Dum Dum lollipops brought many smiles.

BOTL Operation Esteli
by yodismatt, on Flickr

BOTL Operation Esteli
by yodismatt, on Flickr

BOTL Operation Esteli
by yodismatt, on Flickr

BOTL Operation Esteli
by yodismatt, on Flickr

BOTL Operation Esteli
by yodismatt, on Flickr

BOTL Operation Esteli
by yodismatt, on Flickr

BOTL Operation Esteli
by yodismatt, on Flickr

BOTL Operation Esteli
by yodismatt, on Flickr

BOTL Operation Esteli
by yodismatt, on Flickr

BOTL Operation Esteli
by yodismatt, on Flickr

This trip was very powerful and I believe I have come back to the U.S. with a different view on life. We here in the U.S., even those less fortunate have far less than most everyone in Nicaragua. We take for granted many luxuries and feel entitled to so much. There are so many things that we “need” to get by on a daily basis that other couldn't dream of ever owning.

So the next time you think you have it bad, want that new gadget or your meal wasn't good enough... think of those around the world that have far less than you ever will and remember we are very lucky to be where we are today here in America.

It was also a pleasure to be on this trip with the greatest most caring guys I have ever met.

BOTL Operation Esteli
by yodismatt, on Flickr

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
I like how Joel blends right in with the kids.

However, I don't understand how that giant, bald guy managed to blend-in in hostile environments. Seriously, nobody noticed that walking mountain?
lol.. blending in used to be a whole lot easier 50 lbs ago... (although it still was never easy...)...

BradMc

<b>Charity Liaison</b><br>BoM September 07
Rating - 100%
148   0   0
I think if u other guys have pic , add to the tread, we'll have a Mod sticky this .....

Great Work M@, was a great time , and lots of great memories . Thanks to ALL of BOTL for making this happen, hopefully OE 2015 will be even better ......

Rating - 100%
156   0   0
Thank you for posting and writing this Matt. Just reading your post make me want to do more and hopefully we will in 2015. One day I hope to have the same experience as you did looks to be a very humbling experience.