What's new

Padilla

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just smoked my very first Padilla Habano. What a cigar! Perfectly smooth taste. What are some other members of the Padilla line worth checking out?

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Strange that you should post this... I was thinking of putting up a poll for Ernesto-baby's best smoke. Had a 1932 tonight, and it was very good as always.

Favorites, in order:
Miami
Dominus / Habano (tie)

Not really fond of the others. The 32s are really good after about six months of rest or so - they can be harsh at first. They change dramatically after 18 months or so. About a year is optimal.

The Miami is a smoother smoke than the 32, and when it's on I like it just as much.

The Dominus is like a combination of the 32 and the Miami. Didn't get a really great reception but I like it quite a lot.

And the Habano can be great, as you found out. A little inconsistent in my experience though.

Rating - 96.7%
32   1   0
The Habano is plain out my favorite of all the recent Padilla's.

If you can find boxes of the old Miami 8&11 (not the new "Miami") in robustos or torps, they are the best things he has ever made. These were rolled by Pepin back in the day.

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
Yep, another Padilla fan here! For me it's:

1932 (Pepin-factory)
Miami 8&11 (especially the Salomones rolled by Pepin himself ... mmmm)
1932 (current)
Dominus
Miami
Habano
Obsidian (OR)

Rating - 96.7%
32   1   0
Yep, another Padilla fan here! For me it's:

1932 (Pepin-factory)
Miami 8&11 (especially the Salomones rolled by Pepin himself ... mmmm)
1932 (current)
Dominus
Miami
Habano
Obsidian (OR)
Totally forgot about the salomones 8&11's. Fantastic smokes!!!

Rating - 100%
68   0   1
I don't think he lost anything by leaving Pepin. He still produces awesome cigars at good prices.
The new Miami and 1932 are at least as good as the old blend? Not even close for me. They went WAY down.

They may be good smokes at good prices. But my opinion still stands they aren't as good as before.

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I had a Miami 8&11 from the Outlaw 2007 B2TB sampler that was a top 10 cigar for me. I really like the 1948 and 1932. The new Miami is good, but for me, not a knockout. To me, they don't age well. After a year, they lose something. The Obsidian is also good if you don't mind stained fingers and lips. After smoking one I look like a reverse Al Jolson.

raspol

No problem.
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I would say the current Padilla cigars are good cigars especially when you get them way below MSRP.

The debate between Pepin rolled vs. non-Pepin rolled has been going on for years. It has always been said that (1) it was the same blend and (2) you can't compare aged Pepin cigars to current padilla sticks. Well, by now I can say that I have smoked aged non-pepin Padilla cigars and they don't stack up against the Pepin ones. That of course is MHO.

maestrobasser

@maestrobasser
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had the 8&11 Miami, and of course the current Miami. Either way, still one of my all time favorite smokes, followed by the 1932, the 1968, the Dominus, the Habano, and now the Hybrid Maduro which I think is a freaking awsome smoke for the $$.

Pepin or no Pepin, Padilla continues to be one of my favorites, and I'd have to say I like more of his blends than probably just about any other out there.

Rating - 96.7%
32   1   0
The new Miami and 1932 are at least as good as the old blend? Not even close for me. They went WAY down.

They may be good smokes at good prices. But my opinion still stands they aren't as good as before.
I agree on those two smokes. The new ones don't even come close. I give the new Miamis away like candy. But the Habanos and 68's are really good (I dont give those out!). At $4 a stick and less, that is one of the best cigars for the price, period. The new Miami costs less than half of what the 8&11 used to sell for years ago. Construction is still superb even without Pepin, IMHO.

Luckily there are 8&11's stiil to be had through retailers!