What's new

partagas series D #4

kirscovitch

Mad Matt
Rating - 100%
51   0   0
ok, here goes. i decided to try one after only letting them rest about a day and a half. opened the humi and selected one. the first one i grabbed felt a little mushy so i put it back and grabbed another. it felt a little better so i plopped myself on the couch and started to relax. instead of a cutter i used a punch. it went in smoothly without too much resistance. pre-light draw was perfect. a little woody i thought. started lighting it and it took a while to burn. a slow steady draw to get 'er going. tasted a little spicy and charred. i purged a little bit to get rid of the charred taste. after that it mellowed out into a very smooth smoke. lots of volume. stayed smooth the whole time with hints of wood and lots of leather. i had a problem with it running at the begining but fixed it about a qtr way through. right around the band line it started going south. a little sour. tried purging it again but no use. so i set it in the ashtray and let it burn out.
all in all a pretty good cigar. i cant wait to let them sit for a while and see what they're like with a little more age on them...:peace:

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Good review. That's the problem with smoking a cigar before 30 days of rest. I know some people advocate 90 days. You lose that cuban spicey taste with shipping. It ends up streaking and smoking like shoe leather. I did this all the time with my first boxes. I think you will find those PSD's really mellowing out and those cuban themes come through with a little time. Patience has been the hardest lesson for me to learn.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
FPDoc77 said:
Good review. That's the problem with smoking a cigar before 30 days of rest. I know some people advocate 90 days. You lose that cuban spicey taste with shipping. It ends up streaking and smoking like shoe leather. I did this all the time with my first boxes. I think you will find those PSD's really mellowing out and those cuban themes come through with a little time. Patience has been the hardest lesson for me to learn.
Great review and very good point. I am always amazed that the cigars that wait for 30 to 60 days are so much better. Thats why its nice to have a few boxes in rotation. Order the next one now if you can.

kirscovitch

Mad Matt
Rating - 100%
51   0   0
CWS said:
Great review and very good point. I am always amazed that the cigars that wait for 30 to 60 days are so much better. Thats why its nice to have a few boxes in rotation. Order the next one now if you can.

im trying to order some now, but i cant figure out what in the hell i want.... lol

Fox

BoM May '07
Rating - 100%
70   0   0
K, try some JL #1 Series A, Mag 46 or BBF's. You can find the JL's and Series A and even the BBF's with some age if you look around. It will be harder to find older Mag 46's.

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
One thing missing in this review is....*drumroll* Sweet Spice!!! Just in your face Partagas spice. Other then that it was a nice review.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
caudio51 said:
I really enjoy these! Thanks for the review!
I agree.

One of the very few cubans that can be smoked fresh.

But after a year the sick period starts and then they need to rest a bit.

NYLaw

Still learning...
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CAudio turned me on to these when he gave me one last summer... It was easily one of the best cigars I've ever smoked.... I'm thinking of trying to get my hands on 15 or so.

Greg

BoM October 2006
Rating - 100%
119   0   0
Resting in the humidor is what cigars do, all day long, 24/7 :grin:

Some like to let them rest for months, years, weeks, however, I think it's a matter of personal preference that is best learned through trial and error.

One thing I have found is that once I have acquired some cigars, I like to let them rest for at least 30 days to equilibrate to the conditions of my humidor before I fire one up because sometimes they can be too wet, maybe too dry, etc. What I know is is that I like my cigars to be smoked at the current conditions of my humidor.

Now, aging is a whole 'nother subject.....

I hope this explains your question.

By the way, I just fired up a PSD4!

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
One thing I have found is that once I have acquired some cigars, I like to let them rest for at least 30 days to equilibrate to the conditions of my humidor before I fire one up because sometimes they can be too wet, maybe too dry, etc. What I know is is that I like my cigars to be smoked at the current conditions of my humidor.

I 100% agree with Fredneck on this. Iits hard to do but letting them rest is one of the best things you can do and 30 days is key. The change is simply amazing. Good cigars become great ones. Cigars that you wonder why you bought them morph into favorite smokes. Patience is essential.

Electric Sheep

Dsicle - BoM Dec 06
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
I also have found that 1 month in the humidor to rest makes all the difference in the world. It's standard operating procedure for me nowadays.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i personally dun like this cigar, not much of a body and some gave me inconsistent draw. i prefer the serie D 3