What's new

Penn State

Rating - 100%
63   0   0
OK...if Joe's firing has to do with the fact that he "did not do enough", then how come McQuery (the asst coach who actually did witness the abuse) still has a job??? Is he not just as responsible (or even more responsible) than Joe? Where are the scores of people demanding his head on a platter? How about the AD Tim Curley whom Joe reported the incident to (and whom is actually CHARGED in the case)...he has not been fired either.

Too much inconsistency here...

JoePa is a scapegoat in this thing and the board is only doing what they think will make them look better.
All of them should be fired. It was a mistake by the board not to fire them, especially McQueary, but I imagine that will come shortly as well (the legal ramifications that Curley and Schulz are facing likely play into that delay).

But JoePa is not a scapegoat. The Board absolutely HAD TO let him go. There's no way he could be on the sideline or in a press box for the game this Saturday, or any Saturday thereafter. He was the face of the university for decades and it happened under his watch, in part enabled by him.

The Board didn't do what they thought would make them look better, but rather what they thought would make the university look better. It's common sense.

And this whole JoePa firing smells of the same stinch I witnessed with my dad.
Wow. I guess some people will never get it.

twenty5

BoM 11/09, 4/10 BoY '10
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
The university had to and still has to cut ties with everyone that was associated with this. JoePa has always given everything he could to help the University, this is just one more thing he needs to give.

Rating - 100%
63   0   0
This is only getting worse for Penn State. Apparently there's an investigation as to whether Sandusky pimped out boys to rich donors of his Second Mile foundation.

And in an interview with ESPN, former player Paul Pozlusny (sp?) stated that Sandusky was a regular around the program and players always had an opportunity to volunteer with his Second Mile foundation. Keep in mind, ** was a player from 2003-2007 which was after several reported incidents of Sandusky's perverted behavior, and yet he was still allowed around the program with children.

The president, AD, and head coach (yes that's JoePa) allowed that. Sickening.

Rating - 100%
32   0   0
I guess I do not fully understand. He reported the issue immediately to his superiors. He is being torched because he did not call the police. I don't know how it would have gone down but can imagine...Police: "Did you witness this act Mr. Paterno? No. Sorry. Do you have any evidence? No. Sorry. Not much we can do with second hand hersay."
Sorry, have to call rubbish on this. My wife is a school teacher and it's her JOB to report any expected abuse. Doesn't matter if she's right or wrong, if she suspects there might be abuse she has a duty to report it. If she doesn't she can lose her job. Better to be wrong then have a child abused one more time because you weren't positive.

Cops don't take reports like you mention above lightly. There would be an investigation and child services would be involved. And he did have evidence, the GA witnessed it. Please stop trying to bail him out, he didn't do what he should have, and that is try to protect a child...or many in this case.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
^^^ agreed. He had a responsibility to report the abuse to the right authorities (the police). It's very disappointing that he did not properly report the abuse. Wether he thought he was doing the right thing or not, the fact that he didn't go to the police makes it look like a cover up (in my opinion).

RonC

www.igloodor.com
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
this is a coverup from top to bottom, plain and simple.

how can anyone say that Paterno did what he was required to do? Not seeing the police involved should have signaled coverup, and he should have gone to the police.

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
I can't read the whole thread, but let me tell you this much. put me in that assts shoes, and not only would I have called the poline, but they would have been able to pick find lying in that same shower bloodied with broken bones. How this aast guy never called the cops, never did anything is beyond me. Should paterno have called the cops, YES, and so should the rest of the higher ups. I hope I never catch someone doing that, but if I do, there will be blood.

slave2theaxe

Anything worth doing is worth overdoing
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
The point I'm trying to make is if the board was trying to make a clear cut stand here and send a positive message that things are going to change...everyone invloved should have been fired last night...just firing the "top dogs" while leaving out the others in between with just as much (or even more) knowledge of the events sends a VERY mixed message in my mind. You can't pick and choose who goes and who stays...

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
Crazy stat I just saw:

Last time Joe Paterno was not on the Penn St coaching staff:

- Vince Lombardi was an O-line coach at Army
- Dean Smith was a freshman at Kansas
- Jackie Robinson and Ted Williams just won MVP's

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The point I'm trying to make is if the board was trying to make a clear cut stand here and send a positive message that things are going to change...everyone invloved should have been fired last night...just firing the "top dogs" while leaving out the others in between with just as much (or even more) knowledge of the events sends a VERY mixed message in my mind. You can't pick and choose who goes and who stays...
I said fire them all. News reports now say the new coach is retaining the assistant who actually witnessed the abuse and reported to Paterno the next day.

With that news your point is totally legitimate. Cleaning house means cleaning house. Too bad.

Fourtotheflush

BoM Apr 12'
Rating - 100%
100   0   0
I can't read the whole thread, but let me tell you this much. put me in that assts shoes, and not only would I have called the poline, but they would have been able to pick find lying in that same shower bloodied with broken bones. How this aast guy never called the cops, never did anything is beyond me. Should paterno have called the cops, YES, and so should the rest of the higher ups. I hope I never catch someone doing that, but if I do, there will be blood.
Finally - This is what I hope everyone here would have done!

You pull the Freeking monster off the kid & call the cops.

If hes lucky you just cave his goddam face in!

Rating - 100%
58   0   0
You know, after reading that Grand Jury report... every last one of those mother f'ers should be dealt with. I mean, c'mon... that janitor saw him blowing a kid... told his supervisor, and all his f'n supervisor did was give him the name of someone else to tell? What a fuckin' asshole. I'm sorry... this just sickens and enfuriates me!

iCraig

Cigars, hockey, and beer.
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
Finally - This is what I hope everyone here would have done!

You pull the Freeking monster off the kid & call the cops.

If hes lucky you just cave his goddam face in!

Absolutely. The f*cker would have been bleeding and lucky to be alive if I had caught him doing anything like this with a child. He should have been beaten to an inch of his life and then the cops should have been called.

I pray that if I have children they are never in that situation, because I'm likely to end up in prison.

iCraig

Rating - 100%
69   0   0
You know, after reading that Grand Jury report... every last one of those mother f'ers should be dealt with. I mean, c'mon... that janitor saw him blowing a kid... told his supervisor, and all his f'n supervisor did was give him the name of someone else to tell? What a fuckin' asshole. I'm sorry... this just sickens and enfuriates me!
How the hell do you not do anything in that moment? You see a kid being abused and all you do is tell your supervisor? What the f*ck...

Rating - 100%
58   0   0
As far as I'm concerned... everyone who knew anything about this... and just let it keep happening, and ignoring, and passing the buck, is as guilty as that sick mother f'er who actually did the acts...

Angry Bill

2x BoM, BoY '08
Staff member
Rating - 100%
201   0   0
I am surprised that no one else is concerned that the then graduate assistant, who is now the receiver coach for Penn State and will coach this weekend. Yeah, I know he told his boss, but shouldn't he be held to the same standard as all the others. After all, he could have gone to the authorities too. I'm just saying.

And let us not loose sight of the true victims. The children. They will live with that trauma for the rest of their lives. Hopefully, they are able to seek help, so it does not eat at them like a cancer. My experience dealing with the clergy abuse scandals from work is that the victims have a 50/50 shot at being ok if they get help sooner than later.

hdroadglide

BoM x 2, BoY 2011
Rating - 100%
514   0   0
i don't get why the guy gets to coach this weekend. something isn't right with that.
now there is a guy on the east coast that said this in an interview today...........

"I can give you a rumor and I can give you something I think might happen," Madden told John Dennis and Gerry Callahan. "I hear there's a rumor that there will be a more shocking development from the Second Mile Foundation -- and hold on to your stomachs, boys, this is gross, I will use the only language I can -- that Jerry Sandusky and Second Mile were pimping out young boys to rich donors. That was being investigated by two prominent columnists even as I speak."

Rating - 100%
58   0   0
I am surprised that no one else is concerned that the then graduate assistant, who is now the receiver coach for Penn State and will coach this weekend. Yeah, I know he told his boss, but shouldn't he be held to the same standard as all the others. After all, he could have gone to the authorities too. I'm just saying.

And let us not loose sight of the true victims. The children. They will live with that trauma for the rest of their lives. Hopefully, they are able to seek help, so it does not eat at them like a cancer. My experience dealing with the clergy abuse scandals from work is that the victims have a 50/50 shot at being ok if they get help sooner than later.
I'm very concerned about it... I said EVERY last one of them... that includes that prick, too. You see someone having SEX... RAPING a 10 year old boy... and you just call your own f'n DAD first? I mean, c'mon... The damn police would be the first ones I would call... or... as someone else said... pull that son of bitch off that kid myself, first and kick his fucking nuts back in his gut, and cave his face in. Of course, if that would have happened, I have a feeling the only person in trouble out of that situation would be the grad asst. I have a feeling some deep pockets are what keeps this San-fuckingslimeball-dusky out of the shit for so long, anyway. And I love how the degree of seriousness of the CRIME got so diluted as it went up the chain. From an anal raping of a child, to some "inappropriate" horseplay.

No, Bill... I think alot of us on this thread are very concerned about that POS still having a job, and coaching this weekend.

iCraig

Rating - 100%
69   0   0
i don't get why the guy gets to coach this weekend. something isn't right with that.
now there is a guy on the east coast that said this in an interview today...........

"I can give you a rumor and I can give you something I think might happen," Madden told John Dennis and Gerry Callahan. "I hear there's a rumor that there will be a more shocking development from the Second Mile Foundation -- and hold on to your stomachs, boys, this is gross, I will use the only language I can -- that Jerry Sandusky and Second Mile were pimping out young boys to rich donors. That was being investigated by two prominent columnists even as I speak."
If that is true, I'm willing to volunteer my time to go up be a part of this guy's firing squad.