What's new

Pete Johnson's new line: L'Atelier

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Wow! At first I thought that an Ecuador-wrapped Nicaraguan stick designed and presented identical to Behike was something you would expect a from a soulless catalogue brand, not PJ. Pete and other respectable manufacturers certainly pay homage to Cuban cigar tradition, but this cigar is an identical copy. Something isn't adding up.

My guess is that this is a super-elaborate "FU" to General and Altadis by extension. I don't have any statistics, but some amount of GnA's sales must come from under-informed buyers thinking that they are getting a "real" Partagas, Monte RyJ etc... When I started smoking, the conceptmof identical, but unrelated brands confused the s**t out of me and just seemed wrong.

With all his success, maybe Pete felt empowered to take that issue on in a very spectacular way?

If General were to accuse him of "stealing" essential design cues from what's become one of the most popular and identifiable Cohiba releases, they'd have to admit that they utilize confusion to make money. After all, they don't make the Behike, they hadnt gotten around to copying one and Pete beat them to it.

Maybe I'm trying to justify a sketchy move by someone I respect...or maybe this is a slightly insane dose of poetic justice?

BMack

Some say I'm a dreamer...
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Pete has generally been anti-current production cuban cigars...so this might be more of a slap in the face of the Behike(possibly the price) than an homage.

Wonder what else will come from this brand, the name(meaning workshop) is intriguing to me.

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
There is nothing "scetchy" about this at all. This cigar is not meant to, nor will it be, "identical" to the Cohiba Behike. He's just using those SIZES for one of the lines under the new label. That's it. Virtually all NCs copy Cuban formats, so this really isn't the newsworthy part of the story. What's newsworthy is that Pete Johnson has some new budget-friendly blends coming out!

bballbaby

Nov '08 BoM
Rating - 100%
183   0   0
After all, they don't make the Behike, they hadnt gotten around to copying one and Pete beat them to it.
Regardless of Pete's true intentions, there is truth in that statement. You know they would have eventually gotten around to mimicking the band, name, size, etc.

bballbaby

Nov '08 BoM
Rating - 100%
183   0   0
Posted by Pete on the CA article comments section

"I am only paying homage to the sizes of Behike. Why not, they already copied my Cabaiguan Guapos size (5 5/8 x 54 - with a pigtail) that has been around for far longer...

The flavor of course is nothing like it, as I believe that Newer Cuban cigars are still not comparable to what Nicaragua is putting out today"

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Hey guys. Long time not here. Just wanted to jumped in a talk about the new lines. The company as a whole is gonna be exactly it's name, The Workshop. We will always be experimenting. The main point is to make great cigars. The Behike thing is my way of thanking the Cubans for using my Cabaiguan Guapos size (5 5/8x54 with pig tail) which came out long before Behike 54. Cigar sizes are nothing original anymore and I'm sure you will see many other people copying the formats in the BHK line. Curious if anyone else will actually come out and say they are doing it. ???

The best part of all of this, is the production of the new bundle products. As much as I love my premium boxed cigars, I can honestly say that the bundles we are making are premiums also.

Thanks for letting me jump back in.

Pete

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
Anytime, Pete! And thanks for the clarification.

I think some of the comfusion came from Casa de Montecristo's exclusive "B56," which they claim DOES taste like a Cohiba Behike, costs $16. But clearly that cigar is not part of The Workshop.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
While I was crafting a comment to Further explain my conspiracy theory, looks like pete came in and in and shared the reasoning for the take on Behike. Makes sense. I wasn't aware of the Guapos thing.

Thanks for participating man.

Last edited:

Sin

Living the Dream
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Hey guys. Long time not here. Just wanted to jumped in a talk about the new lines. The company as a whole is gonna be exactly it's name, The Workshop. We will always be experimenting. The main point is to make great cigars. The Behike thing is my way of thanking the Cubans for using my Cabaiguan Guapos size (5 5/8x54 with pig tail) which came out long before Behike 54. Cigar sizes are nothing original anymore and I'm sure you will see many other people copying the formats in the BHK line. Curious if anyone else will actually come out and say they are doing it. ???

The best part of all of this, is the production of the new bundle products. As much as I love my premium boxed cigars, I can honestly say that the bundles we are making are premiums also.

Thanks for letting me jump back in.

Pete
Welcome back Pete. I know I speak for most of us here when I say that I am excited to try your new stuff. As for the size, I dig the smaller ring guages. One of the reasons why I would smoke other cigars if I had a choice between them and behikes.
Also, I've never actually had the Guapo so I didn't even know they copied your format!

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
...and, for anyone who does not get cigar insider, i believe the other brand is going to be an actual distribution of the surrogates, with two sizes tacked on. any time you can walk into a shop and smell and taste something before buying makes me happy!

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
Good Stuff, check out front page of topqualitycigars. I noticed it yesterday.
That's what I was talking about as far as confusion. That cigar can NOT be this new one Pete is talking about (the price point is double!). That cigar is something different than the sticks being discussed here.

ciggy

"TommyBoy"
Rating - 100%
326   0   0
I don't care who copies who in sizes. What matters is the quality of the smoke. I personally love Nic. cigars way better than Cc's and Pete/Pepin brands are at the top of my list. It's really hard finding a lower premium cigar that has great flavor so I'm excited to see how these work out. Can't exactly call it a budget stick either at around $10, but a new venture nothing less.
Good for you Pete!