What's new

Pete Johnson's new line: L'Atelier

Rating - 100%
98   0   0
Surely it's merely a coincidence that Pete chose this thread, where accusations of "copy-cat" could rear their head, to come back and post on after not being around for so long? Nah...it's not a coincidence.

Do I care if it's a ripoff on size(s) right down to the pig-tail cap & band? Nope, I truly don't. What I will find amusing however, is for those who crapped on Andre and Viaje here for "stealing an idea" (4th of July smokes, Zombies etc. etc.) to somehow say this is different. To me, this is more obvious than anything Andre was ever accused of copying.

Don't misinterpret here though, I'm not an Andre fan, and I've bought more than my share of Tats....I'm simply pointing out something I thought to be rather ironical.
Don't know anything about the "Andre and Viaje" thing. Must have been before I joined. But I do love the word "ironical". I am stealing it and using it...I may or may not credit you for it.

ciggy

"TommyBoy"
Rating - 100%
326   0   0
Ciggy,

The flagship brand L'Atelier is our premium. Our budget brands,Trocadero and El Suelo will retail for $3.50 to $4.75 and come in bundles. All of those are larger formats also. The smallest one is a 5 1/4x52. Hope this clears things up.
Sorry Pete I misunderstood your previous comment. Either way I support what you do and enjoy your brands...Especially the Cojonu 03!

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
The Cabaiguan Guapos came out YEARS before the Behike 54. Same size, pigtail cap, etc. Then the Behike came out in that size. Did Cohiba "rip-off" Tatuaje? I really doubt it.

Now Pete is doing a new line with that size, as well as the other 2 Behike sizes because those are popular. I don't get the problem with this, nor do I get a "rip off" vibe from this at all. He's not calling them "Behike" and the bands look nothing like the Behike bands.

Are all Lanceros a rip-off of the Cohiba Lancero? Are all Churchills a rip-off of the R&J Churchill? Copying, sure, but a rip-off? Come on, guys, let's not make a mountain out of a mole hill.

Tatuaje has been paying homage to Cuban heritage brands since it's inception. Just look at the first line, the Brown label, each vitola named after classic Cuban cigars:
Noella (5 1/8 x 42)
Regio (5 1/2 x 50)
Unicos (6 1/8 x 52)
Havana Cazadore (6 3/8 x 43)
Especiale (7 1/2 x 38)
Taino (7 5/8 x 49)
Reserva SW (i.e. Sir Winston)

How can this be a bad thing? Cigars were born in Cuba, and will always have ties to Cuba. Most NC manufacturers pay homage to Cuba in some way, at least via Spanish names, etc. This is completely normal and I honestly am astounded by the annoyance some people seem to be displaying.

As to the Andre thing ... Pete is saying "I'm copying the Behike sizes here." It's intended, obvious, and stated. What Andre did here and there was never stated as "copying Tatuaje," and that's what rubbed some people the wrong way

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
The Cabaiguan Guapos came out YEARS before the Behike 54. Same size, pigtail cap, etc. Then the Behike came out in that size. Did Cohiba "rip-off" Tatuaje? I really doubt it.

Now Pete is doing a new line with that size, as well as the other 2 Behike sizes because those are popular. I don't get the problem with this, nor do I get a "rip off" vibe from this at all. He's not calling them "Behike" and the bands look nothing like the Behike bands.

Are all Lanceros a rip-off of the Cohiba Lancero? Are all Churchills a rip-off of the R&J Churchill? Come on, guys, let's not make a mountain out of a mole hill.

Tatuaje has been paying homage to Cuban heritage brands since it's inception. Just look at the first line, the Brown label, each vitola named after classic Cuban cigars:
Noella (5 1/8 x 42)
Regio (5 1/2 x 50)
Unicos (6 1/8 x 52)
Havana Cazadore (6 3/8 x 43)
Especiale (7 1/2 x 38)
Taino (7 5/8 x 49)
Reserva SW (i.e. Sir Winston)

How can this be a bad thing? Cigars were born in Cuba, and will always have ties to Cuba. Most NC manufacturers pay homage to Cuba in some way, at least via Spanish names, etc. This is completely normal and I honestly am astounded by the annoyance some people seem to be displaying.
Yes there is a difference between paying homage and putting out a similar product at the same time. Haven't had a chance to try any of these yet but looking forward to it. G1

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the whole idea of a Tat workshop and look forward to the smokes. Sizes are nothing new, pigtails are nothing new and if he feels he started it an Behike took it, so be it. I'm not versed enough in the history of cigars to know who started it. All I know is that the workshop sounds awesome and so does this smoke. Lookin forward to August!

BrooksW

BoM June '09
Rating - 100%
131   0   0
Really? Is the whole "Pete is copying Cuba and Farkas is Copying Pete" really worth the bandwidth?

This has been discussed ad nauseam.

Do a search.

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
This really rubs me the wrong way. It's like an F YOU to Cohiba. You stole my design so now I'm stealing yours! Very unprofessional. And then he says that his cigars are better than the Behike - WOW!
That reasoning is like saying Adidas stole Nike's design when they introduced a size 11 shoe

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
That reasoning is like saying Adidas stole Nike's design when they introduced a size 11 shoe
What are you talking about? It's nothing like that.

A proper analogy would be if Nike had 3 sizes of shoes that were unique to Nike and Adidas came along and made those same 3 sizes. And then they make those shoes look exactly like the Nikes!

strife

Watcher of the Sky
Rating - 100%
107   0   1
el suelo?? lol ! might wanna reconsider renaming that one.

:)
I was thinking the same. Hope it doesn't taste like it's name! Looking forward to trying all of these, some of my favorite cigars are PJ sticks. That being said a few of my least favorites as well. Personally I don't give a rat's ass about who did what first I'm more concerned about who's doing what now!

Welcome back Pete and congrats on the new lines.

KPP

Rating - 100%
73   0   0
What are you talking about? It's nothing like that.

A proper analogy would be if Nike had 3 sizes of shoes that were unique to Nike and Adidas came along and made those same 3 sizes. And then they make those shoes look exactly like the Nikes!
BUT...

If Adidas clearly stated they were "paying homage" to Nike though, THEN it'd be cool. You know, cause they're being up front about it and stuff.

And c'mon Nate...take a closer look at the bands. There is at the very least, an ample amount of "homage" being paid there too.

Rating - 100%
91   0   0
Wow, there must be a serious Midol shortage aound here. This thread reminds me of dirty politics, both sides throwing out completely stupid and innacurate "comparisons" to try to make their innacurate points. Y'all need to step back, prioritize what's worth getting your panties in a bunch, & get laid. Or, just ignore this post & keep bitching back & forth. Your call.

SDShark

BoM May '14
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Welcome back, Pete! i am excited to try this new line! Since they will be crafted at the My Father factory, any chance DPG will have his hand in this? Either way, stoked!

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
Yeah but I'll bet if ALtadis or General did the same thing
Pete did with Behike, people would be crying bullshit on every forum.
Actually if General or Altadis did it no one would really give a flying frog's fat ass. Not many are passionate about those brands like some are about Tats.

At the end of the day, it really doesn't matter, smoke whatcha like and like whatcha smoke.

KPP

Rating - 100%
73   0   0
Actually if General or Altadis did it no one would really give a flying frog's fat ass. Not many are passionate about those brands like some are about Tats.

At the end of the day, it really doesn't matter, smoke whatcha like and like whatcha smoke.
Dammit Craig...

Don't take the fun away!!

For the record, I am keeping it light. No ill-will here against anyone. I wasn't intending to perpetuate the copy cat notions, but it was just too damn easy. I merely flipped it & reversed it.

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
Dammit Craig...

Don't take the fun away!!

For the record, I am keeping it light. No ill-will here against anyone. I wasn't intending to perpetuate the copy cat notions, but it was just too damn easy. I merely flipped it & reversed it.
Kyle P will make you JUMP, JUMP... Pete Johnson will make you JUMP JUMP