What's new

Pete losing Flor de Lis symbol??

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I heard that Altadis went up to Pete Johnson and basically told him that he needs to lose the Flor de Lis symbol or they will sue him. Below you can see why they aren't too big on him using the Flor de Lis:

Knowing that Opus X has been successful with things like this recently I think Pete won't be able to fight them if this is true.

Can anyone verify this too?

Last edited:

Volusianator

BoM Nov '07 & Jan '09
Rating - 93.8%
86   4   1
I can't believe that the flor de lis would be a trademarked symbol, don't think Pete will have a problem. Of course, that's just my .02

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I can't believe that the flor de lis would be a trademarked symbol, don't think Pete will have a problem. Of course, that's just my .02
Well if you look at Opus they have threatened people that have branded anything resembling an X. That company then has two choices. Change the symbol, or if that threat is legit go to court. In the cases with Opus the companies changed the symbol. Going to court costs a lot of money, and who do you think would win in a money driven court battle, Pete or Altadis?

I just said a while back that how could you have a symbol such as the Flor de Lis copyrighted, but if this would go to court Monte has been around a lot longer and may even win the suit. I mean do you think an X can be copyrighted? I think this becomes a legal issue and is basically a big guy pushing a little guy around.

twenty5

BoM 11/09, 4/10 BoY '10
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
How come the boy scouts aren't suing altadis then? Its been their symbol for a long time.... lol

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Isn't there a lawyer on this forum???

Because Tat is in direct competition with Monte I think you can't compare it to the boy scouts. Many things probably have clovers on them, but I don't think the Celtics would like it if another NBA team had the same symbol.

Anyone know if this could be legit?

Baldanders

Jim AKA Patty
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Don't think the flor de lis could be trademarked but using it for cigars,a football team or whatever could be. But what the hell do I know /shrug I went to Boston Public Schools.

indyrob

BoM Feb '06 & Sept. '08
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
OK...so really...the flor de lis has been around for ever. Montecristo has been using it for a while but I think that the Montecristo type face is it's strongest trademark & company ID. Not to mention the banding itself is in a totally different configuration cpmpared to the Tatuaje label.

Ballsy of Altadis.

I say soak up the free publicity PJ.

RonC

www.igloodor.com
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
I unintentionally had a little trademark issue with another cigar accessory company. It was an easy deal, they called me, explained their side of things, and I yanked the name. Lawsuits suck. Winner and Loser spend too much $. Fuente has spent millions protecting the Opus name. Its a shame that so many scumbags out there have to copy other people names and ideas. I have had it happen too me more than once. I wish we were in the days of the wild west. If somebody did you wrong, you would just shoot them and go about your business.

By the way, this has nothing to do with Pete. My opinion is that Altidas is jerking off. I look at those symbols as a little decoration. Its a shame that they would even bring this up to him. Its like they are looking for anything to bust balls about. Perhaps some jealousy somewhere?

n.olson

Veteran Eccentric
Rating - 100%
67   0   0
what is it two weeks after cigar insider named pete the hottest cigar maker in the world? already the lawyers are knocking. isn't that just great. sorry pete, however it ends up!

jre

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Whatever, if tats had a pink unicorn on the label, they'd still be the overall best line of smokes on the market hands down.

Daviso27

Never been BoM
Rating - 100%
107   0   0
If this is true... Pete has nothing to worry about. The logos are completely different. To add another point, didnt they steal the Monte name from the CC monte? I want to see what will happen to the name if/once the embargo is lifted, free trade = lawsuit!