What's new

Phrases that drive you crazy

Rating - 100%
59   0   0
I end up listening to a lot of sports talk radio at work, and a couple of sayings just drive me batshit crazy.
When two people or teams are close to being the best: "1 and 1a". It's 1a and 1b.
When they pluralize a singular person: "You've got the Tom Bradys and Peyton Mannings of the world."

Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Yeah, spoken internet acronyms! *shudder*. My sister lives in LA and she's heard people say "B-T-dubs." Arrrrgh!

I also hate the use of "sick" to mean something good; and "gay" to mean lame or terrible. As in "dude, using correct grammar is totally like so fuckin' gay, right?"

And that's another one I can't stand - "I know, right?" or just "right?" when someone is just agreeing with you.
"People that". "That" is used for objects. It is "people who".
"Just sayin"

Juice when referring to bourbon, as in Weller 12 is the same juice as pappy 12.
Right, totally agree with all the above. People that do that drive me crazy. Just sayin.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I was "blessed" with a twofer - "think outside the box" and "best practice."

Some tool at work today actually stated that we needed to "think outside the box," and then concluded that "best practice" would dictate...
I nearly jumped over the boardroom table to slap the idiot in the face!! Instead I excused myself to refresh my drink - and gag a little lol.

c.ortiz108

The fly in the ointment.
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Irregardless (That drives me crazy and I even say it occasionally!)
Snap! I was just about to post this one. I guess people confuse "irrespective" with "regardless."

I lived in the UK and the way people added -y or -ie to things really wound me up. Like "prezzy" for present, and "footie" for football. pshaw.

Rating - 100%
56   0   0
lol - what you do for grad school that gets you using the term paradigm shift lol!?
Criminal Justice. My left-wing professor was always talking about "the system" needing a paradigmatic shift from punishment-mindedness (sic) to rehabilitation and social justice. To which I invariably responded with loud fart noises...:smuggrin: In fairness, she was always a good sport; gave me an A for the course despite my irreverent right-wing POV.

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
The word "anymore" used to be past tense. In the following example, Thomas states that he no longer licks hot frying pans.
I do not lick hot frying pans anymore.

However, in Pennsylvania, this is present tense. In the following example, Frank states that he now licks electrical outlets instead.
Since burning my tongue on a frying pan, I lick electrical outlets anymore.